Time to scout our 2005 draft!

Ok, I realize it is very early in the season but with our performance I think I can project a top 5 pick kind of record for the rest of this season. So, I think we on this forum should use this thread to do our own "scouting" for next year. I am not going to worry about the draft room strategy, ie: this guy won't be available in the second round, or no way does he fall to us in the first. I just want something to enjoy about this season. So here it is. I will start us off.

Erasmus James - DE - Wisconsin

ESPN is already comparing him to Jason Taylor. Against OSU he was constantly in the backfield even though he was being double-teamed and chipped on all day. He is the type of linemen that makes the entire line better. Amazing speed and agility for a big man. I am unsure how he does at stopping the run however. Obviously, the Bengals need a well-rounded line that can do it all. This guy is a freak though.

Ok, now, let's at least get SOMETHING out of our football season this year, folks, watch all the college football you can and report to this thread with who YOU think should be on the Bengals draft list.

cheers,

bb

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, with the ESPN, sorry but I have not googled for "Bengal-saving prospects" yet.

Mike Patterson, USC, DT: Baby Sapp is the most disruptive interior lineman in the country and never stops. Has 5 sacks.

I like the sound of this. I haven't caught too many USC games...anyone follow them alot? I like the Baby Sapp reference expecially. I like it more if it means "Baby Sapp without the huge mouth and horrid attitude."

I like the TE from Purdue, saw him over the weekend. He blocks well and can make a key catch or two. Also Purdue has a MLB that is pretty good.

We definitely need another DT to help out. Williams, who is finished in Cincinnati, and Thornton don't play well together. If I had to keep one, it's Thornton, but he needs to be teamed with a HUGE, POWERFUL dt. Not sure on who it might be, but we needed one two years ago.

im sorry purdue has no body on defense worthy of the draft in the front 7, believe me, i have watched everygame. look for derrick johnson out of texas a killer lb we could use. or we got for a fat ass dt im sorry like i said in the draft forum paterson is a tweener he is only 285. he is no bigger then the guys we have we need a fat ass.

Michael Munoz OT for President uh I mean 1st round choice!

Why? Because Derrick Johnson, Antrel Rolle, Marlin Jackson, and Antajj Hawthorne will already be gone by the time we pick.

Ok, seriously if we can get Derrick Johnson, which I doubt, he'd be a great replacement for Hardy. However, I'd rather see us go for Antajj Hawthorne, a beast of a DT from Wisconsin, and pick up a guy like Marcus Jones out of Louisville in round 3 or 4 at linebacker. We should consider Ben Wilkerson out of LSU for our center for the future in round two.

Oh, and my pick of the year for next year? A man with a name I can't wait to see on Madden and the ESPN 2k series? ATARI Bigby playing safety out of Central Florida.... He's projected as a second day pick...

Hey, you guys are making me #@$%^ sick!!!! Eleven games to go and you folks are talking about draft choices for next year. Let's wallow in our misery as the season goes on. Oh, I see now, you are trying to think of something positive for our team. Think I want to cry. Only five games and we have given up hope. After yesterday's debacle, why not? :angry:

A man with a name I can't wait to see on Madden and the ESPN 2k series? ATARI Bigby playing safety out of Central Florida.... He's projected as a second day pick...

I saw that guy at a OU game once before....

he's got long dreadlocks....plays for UCF (anyone care to guess what we were calling them?) :lol:

I looked at a few early mocks and most of them had Munoz going mid to late first. Of course most of them look the same with the same players being moved around here and there. The knock on Munoz has been his lack of strength and no mean streak. I think he'll slide to the 2nd and maybe the 3rd.

Most of the mocks have us taking a CB. A few had us taking the DT from Wisconsin. I think his name is Hawthorne,sorry but I don't watch alot of Big ten football. He's supposed to be a run stuffer and seeing that he plays in the big ten he has had alot of practice.

My D line sleeper is Sweet Pea Burns. When healthy he's a force. Led the SEC in tackles behind the line of scrimmage in the SEC. It's never to early to scout for next year. If that makes you sick then ask Chad for some Pepto. :lol::lol::lol::huh:

It's NEVER too early to talk draft or recruiting. It's a year long process.

I say Rolle is the guy you should target if ya pick in the top 10. If yer in the middle, go after the DT from Miami. Marlin Jackson is a winner too. He did play at my High School after all. I played with his older brother. He was good too but got into trouble, got sent to a reform school, but finally did play at Temple...until he got stabbed. BUT, Marlin is not his brother. He is a good kid. The one incident he was involved in was a bad judgement by reacting to someone talking $hit about his family.

I TRULY Believe that Rolle is the class of the entire draft. He will be LOCK DOWN...thus making things easier on the D-Line.

If Munoz is around for Cincy's #2...they must take him.

So, I guess we come to a matter of opinion here. A good question to ask in general is, should the Cincy FO value a shutdown corner above pretty much anything else? This includes a big beefcake who can plug up the middle and hopefully be part of a great run defense. I guess I can see the argument for getting Rolle. I haven't seen him play except in the Louisville game. But, everyone says he is amazing.

Another question to ask is: If Marvin has the choice to take Rolle, or Hawthorne or even Erasmus James. Which does he take and why? I was thinking he should take Hawthorne because our front four have NO depth and are all undersized. Hawthorne is a mountain in the middle plus he seems to be in on a lot of the interior plays.

But, there is also the question of depth. Is Rolle in a class by himself? It sounds like it. How deep is the DB pool in the coming draft? How deep is the D line pool in the draft? Hmmm...discuss.

:D