2023 Proposed Rule Changes

During upcoming league meetings, clubs will discuss the following proposed rules changes. All proposals must be approved by 75% (24) of the owners to be adopted.

Here’s a look at the 2023 club rules change proposals.

By Philadelphia; amends Rule 5, Section 1, Article 2, to permit the use of zero ("0") as a jersey numeral; to allow kickers and punters to use any jersey numeral between 0-49 and 90-99.

By Philadelphia; amends Rule 6, Section 1, to permit a team to maintain possession of the ball after a score by substituting one offensive play (4th-and-20 from the kicking team's 20-yard line) for an onside kickoff attempt.

By Los Angeles Chargers; amends Rule 4, Section 6, Article 3 and Section 7, Article 4, to make the adjustment of the play clock following an instant replay reversal consistent with other timing rules.

By Detroit; amends Rule 15, Section 3, Article 9, to expand the coaches' challenge system to include personal fouls called on the field.

By Detroit; amends Rule 15, Section 1, to provide clubs more opportunities for a third challenge.

By Detroit; amends Rule 15, Section 3, to expand the replay official's jurisdiction to allow for consultation regarding penalty assessment.

By Houston; amends Rule 15, Section 1, Article 2, to expand the replay official's jurisdiction to allow for review on failed fourth-down attempts.

By Los Angeles Rams; amends Rule 15, Section 1 and Section 3, to make fouls for roughing the passer called on the field subject to replay assist and/or review by a coach's challenge.

By New York Jets; amends Rule 12, Section 2, Article 6, to expand the crackback prohibition to players who go in motion and go beyond the center to block ("split-flow block") a defender below the waist.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-game/2023-rules-change-proposals/

I doubt the replay and challenge proposals get a lot of traction, the game is already too slow due to all the stoppages to check calls.

The first and 20 as an alternative to an onside kick is interesting. I could go for that.

Totally down with zero as a jersey number. Will buy a 0 jersey with “MY HERO” on the nameplate and if you get that, congrats, you too are old, old, old and will soon die like me.

Looks like it would be a 4th and 20. 

Without reading, I don't know my mind took me to a play which would originate on the oppositions 20 yard line and you either got a TD or failed.  However, knowing i'm full of shit most of the time, I went back and read that it would start on the kicking team's 20 yard line.  So even if they made the 4th and 20, they would still have to go 60 yards for a TD or at least another 35-40 yards for a FG, that may or may not make a difference.

That being said, onsides kicks were recovered in a little better than 5% of the tries last year.
Making the 4th and 20 and converting an onsides kick would have about the same chance by estimation.
However, moving the remainder of the way down the field to score, would seem like a big long shot.

Yeah, fourth, I can’t type.

4th down data I found only goes to 4th and 15+, which is converted 13.9% of the time.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-fourth-down-conversion-chart-rate-by-distance/vofkeub6xwms6imajxqkfipp

It seems to me like a better shot than an onside kick (especially if you have miracle men like Burrow and Chase). Probably too radical a change but I kind of like it. 

• 2 weeks later...

So now the NFL's competition committee has released its own proposed changes to the rules. They didn't endorse any of the proposals made by various teams covered in the OP. Instead they proposed these:

The NFL's competition committee has proposed a new rule that would spot a fair catch on a kickoff at the 25-yard line, even if it is made inside of that yardage marker in the field of play.

The proposal was one of eight additional rule-change proposals the committee added to the 15 that teams had proposed earlier this month. It is largely in line with the NFL's efforts to minimize kickoff returns either through incentivizing touchbacks or, now, offering a better spot for a fair catch. NFL health and safety data has noted data for years that indicate certain injuries, especially concussions, occur at higher rates on special teams plays compared to offense or defense.

The committee also proposed moving the spot of a touchback on a punt from the 20-yard line to the 25, a way to incentivize punt returners to let a ball bounce into the end zone rather than trying to field it for a return first.

The punt thing, fine, standardize it at the 25 like kickoffs. The fair catch thing...y'know at this point I'd just say just eliminate kickoffs and returns and put the ball at the 25. It's what they clearly want to do, so quit picking around the edges.

Owners will give thumbs up/down to these and all the team proposals next week.

I love the return game and hate that it appears to be diminishing.
Nothing better than seeing a player, with those skills, work their way fluidly between huge human beings flying around and then turning on the afterburners on their way to scoring a TD.  I loved it when Pac-Man was standing back their to take the punt, as you just knew there was a good chance you were going to see something special.  Even if he doesn't take it to the house, the return was sure to be entertaining because that guy seemed to float and move unlike other players.

Your reward for being a good team? More shitty Thursday night games

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35986328/thursday-flex-proposal-tabled-mara-mahomes-critics

They also approved players wearing 0, making tripping a personal foul, use of instant replay on failed fourth downs, and letting stadiums with sports books keep them open during games.