The 1988 Season AFC championship game

membengal

A heads up...It is available on you tube in its entirety. I re-watched it today. I was 18 and a freshman in college for it the first time around. I had forgottten now relatively poorly Boomer played that day. The game was carried by the defense, the running game, and a really timely fake punt late in the third quarter along with the Bills losing their composure. In hindsight, the issues that the offense had in the super bowl showed up here. 

We all have a lot of time on our hands now, worth a watch when you are looking for something to do to kill time.

The defense gave the bills -12 yards in the third quarter.

The running game success was largely Ickey- they shut down JB. And boomer made some terrifically terrible decisions on his throws. He was lucky he didn’t throw more picks than he did.

Boomer wasn’t good the entire post season if I remember correctly. I believe he had a shoulder injury they were hiding.   

I used to have that game on DVD. 

Bruce Smith was unblockable early, then got hurt and then Munoz dominated him.

Favorite all time play is when Fulcher seals the trip to the Super Bowl and lays down in the end zone. 

The arm injury - I had forgotten knowing about that after the fact. Go back and watch it now ( and the super bowl) and it is very apparent. No effort to stretch the field at all. 

I always remember the injury because one of my prized Bengal items is a signed Boomer Sports Illustrated;  preseason 1989 he's on the cover throwing a medicine ball.   In the issue is an article talking about his shoulder injury.   I can't remember if he had surgery or not.