Anthem Protests

Considering the NFL's backpedaling and Mike Brown's comments yesterday, this is going to be a constant storyline this season whether we like it or not.

Casting morals and political beliefs aside, it's a very difficult spot for the NFL business-wise.  They risk loosing fan income by allowing the protests to continue, but they risk player backlash and high-profile fines/suspensions by going the other way.  Neither is good for them from a front office point of view.

As a hopelessly flaming liberal myself, you can guess where I stand.  :P

Haha, fair enough. I see things differently. Though, whether or not the NFL will have "none of it" is the bigger question here.  For some odd reason, they haven't put either of us in charge yet :P

However we may feel about it, Americans have the right to protest as they see fit.

And, as a private employer, the NFL has the right to punish as they see fit.

I'm very curious to see which side wins out here.

5 minutes ago, skyline said:

Haha, fair enough. I see things differently. Though, whether or not the NFL will have "none of it" is the bigger question here.  For some odd reason, they haven't put either of us in charge yet :P

However we may feel about it, Americans have the right to protest as they see fit.

And, as a private employer, the NFL has the right to punish as they see fit.

I'm very curious to see which side wins out here.

If they're off the clock, as in not on the field in uniform, feel free to protest all you want. They have more than enough financial ability to buy airtime and voice their concerns. If I owned a team, you're on my clock and if a player took a knee, you get cut.

That's where things get interesting. 

If enough players are truly passionate about their stance, can we envision a scenario where an NFL team has to forfeit games because half their roster is cut or suspended? Or, would players not be bold enough to make this happen?

Or, will the NFL foresee this and continue to offer a way out (staying in the locker room, etc, etc)?

My money is on the latter.

I think the whole thing is a shame.  It simply morphed into the "Anthem protest", but was never about the Anthem.
Kaeperdick and those who started this were shortsighted in my opinion.  They should have seen how that was going to be perceived, regardless of intent.
While I can agree/disagree with whatever issue brought to the table is, I don't think the players thought this through.

The NFL teams are the employers.  How many places of employment has anyone been to, where your time at work can be used to protest whatever your issue is ??
I'm pretty sure if I come to work tomorrow and protest about why there are no more 8-track players, while on company time, it's going to end poorly for me.

While I'm not comparing the seriousness of Police Brutality to 8-track players, I am saying there is a time and place to address it and it isn't on your employers time.
I have little sympathy for the players in that regard.

• Thanks 1