What Would YOU Do?

gregcook68

22 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

I was a bengals fan through the 90s which was horrible and I'm still here. 

So you would hanging tough with them? Would you have ripped off your Browns jersey like the guy did in the video?  :flushed:

As I've said, I WAS a Browns fan until the Bengals came to town!

Thank you Paul Brown!!! 

Well I am a big fan of the bengals, but I guess to me at the end of the day it's just a game. I would not switch teams or rip my jersey because really what's the point. 

Some fans are different, but like I said maybe now because I'm married and have kids, I figure there are more important things in life then a football game or team. 

50 minutes ago, gregcook68 said:

As I've said, I WAS a Browns fan until the Bengals came to town!

Thank you Paul Brown!!! 

As was I. The Browns games was all that was televised on Sundays. Then the Bengals were born and my allegiance switched with Pauls to Cincinnati, and will stay that way until I die. 

49 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Well I am a big fan of the bengals, but I guess to me at the end of the day it's just a game. I would not switch teams or rip my jersey because really what's the point. 

Some fans are different, but like I said maybe now because I'm married and have kids, I figure there are more important things in life then a football game or team. 

I am 100% in agreement V!  It's nice to watch and root, but in the end, it's their 9-5 job with a life much bigger outside of football!

As frustrating as Brown and Lewis can be, they also care about their players off the field.  So many have claimed family like atmosphere and some have contributed the organization for turning their lives around!

That stuff is priceless and can positively affect their families and people in the community.

22 hours ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

As was I. The Browns games was all that was televised on Sundays. Then the Bengals were born and my allegiance switched with Pauls to Cincinnati, and will stay that way until I die. 

Where did you live in Ohio Billy?  At the time, my decision to switch was based on the fact that I lived 50 miles north of Cincy and my dad liked Paul Brown and wanted to root for 'his' team.

10 minutes ago, gregcook68 said:

Where did you live in Ohio Billy?  At the time, my decision to switch was based on the fact that I lived 50 miles north of Cincy and my dad liked Paul Brown and wanted to root for 'his' team.

I've never lived in Ohio. The northern Kentucky area is where I grew up. Hebron and Erlanger. Never more than 15 minutes from Cincinnati.

On 11/30/2015, 8:40:19, gregcook68 said:

You were raised a Browns fan.

sorry I seriously don't understand this? are you saying parent forced kids to support their team? Mine didn't. Maybe that why my 3 other brothers support different teams (Browns, Broncos, Dolphins) My father is Browns fan. thank god he didn't forced me to be a Browns fan.

19 minutes ago, Dimster28 said:

sorry I seriously don't understand this? are you saying parent forced kids to support their team? Mine didn't. Maybe that why my 3 other brothers support different teams (Browns, Broncos, Dolphins) My father is Browns fan. thank god he didn't forced me to be a Browns fan.

I don't see anywhere in my post where I said I was forced to do anything. I was 15 years old at the time, and because I respected my father's opinion, especially on things that happened before I was around or old enough to remember, he told me about Paul Brown and the fact that he's coming to Cincy to start an NFL team, and since Cincy was a little less than an hour away, he was switching teams. It sounded like a good idea to me too.

8 minutes ago, gregcook68 said:

I don't see anywhere in my post where I said I was forced to do anything. I was 15 years old at the time, and because I respected my father's opinion, especially on things that happened before I was around or old enough to remember, he told me about Paul Brown and the fact that he's coming to Cincy to start an NFL team, and since Cincy was a little less than an hour away, he was switching teams. It sounded like a good idea to me too.

i never said you were forced, my comment was on this quote " You were raised a Browns fan"

RAISED sound like forced by parents. If say something like "You grow up as a Browns fan" That sound like children chose to be fan of that team instead of forced by parents.

anyway to answer your question, If i was Browns fan, I would still be Browns fan today. my family don't change we stay faithful to everything we do. that brother of mine who is Browns fan will always be Browns fan until he die.

those 4 years without Browns was tough for him, He didn't support any other team at all during those 4 years.

1 hour ago, Dimster28 said:

anyway to answer your question, If i was Browns fan, I would still be Browns fan today. my family don't change we stay faithful to everything we do. that brother of mine who is Browns fan will always be Browns fan until he die.

those 4 years without Browns was tough for him, He didn't support any other team at all during those 4 years.

Raised, was used assuming things were like they were when I grew up. MOST boys, not ALL, tended to emulate their father, especially if you lived close by a sports team where your father took you to see games.

It was just a given, you grew up a fan of that team.

Dad took me to Reds games at Crosley Field, and I am still a Reds fan today.

Now because I moved to Florida in 1981, my 22 year old son, who was born and raised here, decided, at an early age, to support his mom, who is from PA, and become an Eagles fan. Because the Red Sox train here, he is a Red Sox fan as well.

I was raised as a Bengals and Reds fan, but that's because I was born in Cincinnati and taken to both teams as a youngster.

Had I chosen to switch teams, that would have been my choice, but of course that was never the case.

Here's an example.  I raised my 9 year old as a Bengals fan, have taken him to games since he was 4 and have tons of pictures of him in his Bengals gear.  At age 7 he came to me and said, "Daddy, I was born in Texas right?" to which of course I said yes.  He proceeded to get on the computer and came back to me about an hour later and say he was no longer a Bengals fan and since he was from Texas, he was now a Texans fan.  It was his choice and I was cool with it.  We decorated his room, got him some Texans gear and took the trip to Houston last year to catch the Bengals / Texans game.  This year one of his Christmas gifts is tickets for him and I to go to Indianapolis to see the Texans / Colts game.  Good fun !!!

11 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I was raised as a Bengals and Reds fan, but that's because I was born in Cincinnati and taken to both teams as a youngster.

Had I chosen to switch teams, that would have been my choice, but of course that was never the case.

Here's an example.  I raised my 9 year old as a Bengals fan, have taken him to games since he was 4 and have tons of pictures of him in his Bengals gear.  At age 7 he came to me and said, "Daddy, I was born in Texas right?" to which of course I said yes.  He proceeded to get on the computer and came back to me about an hour later and say he was no longer a Bengals fan and since he was from Texas, he was now a Texans fan.  It was his choice and I was cool with it.  We decorated his room, got him some Texans gear and took the trip to Houston last year to catch the Bengals / Texans game.  This year one of his Christmas gifts is tickets for him and I to go to Indianapolis to see the Texans / Colts game.  Good fun !!!

Your situation as a child was par for the course for most and exactly the same as mine, being born and raised in Dayton/Huber Heights, with the exception that Im older than you, and raised in the Browns, pre-Bengals era. 

If a scenario ever played out where the Browns made the playoffs, and the Bengals did not, I would pull for them in that circumstance.

I remember being little and hearing people talk about if your team can't win, then route for another team in their division as it spoke to a loyalty and wanting the division your team plays in to do well.  Reminds me of college football to a degree where if your team can't win, rooting for the conference your team plays in.  While I'm a Buckeyes fan, I would have no issue seeing Iowa or Michigan State win the National Championship.

I can't say I'm like that at all in regards to the AFC North.  I ALWAYS root against the Clowns, Stealers, and Ratbirds.  I hate those teams and hope they lose by large margins week in and week out.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I remember being little and hearing people talk about if your team can't win, then route for another team in their division as it spoke to a loyalty and wanting the division your team plays in to do well.  Reminds me of college football to a degree where if your team can't win, rooting for the conference your team plays in.  While I'm a Buckeyes fan, I would have no issue seeing Iowa or Michigan State win the National Championship.

I can't say I'm like that at all in regards to the AFC North.  I ALWAYS root against the Clowns, Stealers, and Ratbirds.  I hate those teams and hope they lose by large margins week in and week out.

I don't go along with supporting the division in any sport. I would never root for Pittsburgh or Baltimore and the ONLY reason I'd root for the Browns, IF the Bengals were eliminated, is because I followed and rooted for Browns for 7 or 8 years, pre-Bengals.

I have on occasion, rooted for teams that have eliminated teams I pull for during playoff and championship series, just to be able to say that my favorite team was eliminated by the eventual World Champions.

Did that when the Giants beat the Reds a few years back sweeping them at home during the playoffs.