Who Gets Extended Next?

HoosierCat

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the next contract extension?

• Andy Dalton
    • A.J. Green
    • Vontaze Burfict
    • Domata Peko
    • somebody else

The phrase "extremely replaceable" sums up my issues this offseason. Willy is right: while Peko may be "just" an average DT, but we've watched McDonald, Sims, Still, Thompson, Big Toe and Don't Call Me Shirley come and mostly go while Peko has stayed.

What I don't get is why this gets forgotten when the name "Dalton" comes up. Then, average QBs suddenly become a dime a dozen.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peko's extension details

Base Salary: $1.3 million

Roster Bonus: $4.4 million

Workout Bonus: $200,000

Cap Number: $5.9 million

Dead Money (if released): $4.4 million

Cap Savings (if released): $1.5 million

Base Salary: $2 million

Roster Bonus: $1.5 million

Cap Number: $3.7 million

Dead Money (if released): $0

Cap Savings (if released): $3.7 million

Base Salary: $3.525 million

Roster Bonus: $0 million

Cap Number: $3.725 million

Dead Money (if released): $0 million

Cap Savings (if released): $3.725 million

Barnwell seems to think the Bengals are the smartest landing spot for Desean Jackson.

/>http://grantland.com/the-triangle/desean-jackson-faq-what-the-eagles-were-thinking-and-where-we-go-from-here/

Honestly, it'd present a 1a and 1b scenario that would be a night mare. I'd enjoy seeing how that would work. Green and Jackson could destroy a defensive backfield. Also, it would mean Jones and Sanu could play at their ability levels, rather than be asked to go over it. Gresham also becomes a luxury rather than a requirement.

Sign Jackson, dump Gresham.

It would be hard to see them fit in a 9-10 million per season contract knowing AJ and Dalton are coming due.

That being said, it would be a toss up. Adding him would be nice to see on the field, but do his character concerns cause problems ??

He seems to be the kind of "me first" guy this team has slowly pushed out the door.

Sort of reminds me of the intrigue of wanting to see Chad and T.O. on the field together.

Gresham has a cap hit of 4.6 million this year, so that would be the starting spot for me.

I've said all along that I could see him as a cap casualty.

Maualuga has a cap hit of 3.8 million and BJGE has a cap hit of 3 million for this season.

Well, if you believe the rumor mill Jackson is allegedly "deep" in negotiations with two unnamed clubs. That may just be smoke from his agent though.

holy fuck, how ridiculous would it be if the club signed Jackson?

I think Bengaldom would collapse upon itself.

The other AFCN teams would shit.

I'd immediately get to work on my gang sign technique.

@ army: I don't think Jackson ends up in Cincy but I agree with Barnwell that he may have to sign a one-year deal now and then try for a big score next year. I don't see a team giving him big bucks right now with all that's come out since he was cut about gangs and unprofessional behavior, even if it is 90% BS.

That said, multiple teams are clearly interested and Mikey doesn't do bidding wars. So I doubt he lands in Cincy.

@ willy: yup. And if they were to go after any big name FA of course it would be a wideout.

Yeah, there has already been talk about the kind of deal he wants, that's more what I was referring to.

Do I think he's going to get that type of deal ?? Actually yes I do. There are teams that have the space and need for a pro bowl level WR.

No, I don't think the Bengals do more than maybe ask, hear the answer, and say thank you as they hang up the phone.

As much as it would intrigue me to see him opposite AJ, hasn't everyone been talking about not wanting to see Andy throw the ball 50 times ??

There are only so many targets to be had and one of the reasons many thought matching Hawkins deal wouldn't have made much sense at the price.

If the Bengals truly wanted to go after a WR they think will present a better #2 option, I would put my money on the draft.

It would be hard to see them fit in a 9-10 million per season contract knowing AJ and Dalton are coming due.

That being said, it would be a toss up. Adding him would be nice to see on the field, but do his character concerns cause problems ??

He seems to be the kind of "me first" guy this team has slowly pushed out the door.

Sort of reminds me of the intrigue of wanting to see Chad and T.O. on the field together.

Gresham has a cap hit of 4.6 million this year, so that would be the starting spot for me.

I've said all along that I could see him as a cap casualty.

Maualuga has a cap hit of 3.8 million and BJGE has a cap hit of 3 million for this season.

Look, if they dumped Hall, they could *EASILY* make it work.

Who would you rather have, the twice-achilles-snapped Hall, or the Pro-bowl-game-changing Jackson. Its a straight swap. Seriously, the job of a CB is to run all day. two repaired achilles later, and a $8M cost this season does not make much sense to me. Yes, it leaves the group thin but there are decent vet FAs and the draft to fill the group.

I could imagine them having waited to make some moves just in case of a big jaw dropping opportunity. This could be the moment. Probably not but why the heck not?

Jackson could just as easily turn into a serious team guy. This team has far more success making guys into team players, with a high success rate. Even the hardest cases, like pacman, can be seen as a success. They got known malcontents to be team guys: Benson, Tank, Pac...

SoP, MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!

They have $25 million+ in cap space, they could make anything work without cutting so much as a fingernail.

But you know we have to keep space open so we have room to re-sign Gio and Eifert in 2017...

(Hey, if a trick works once, right? ;)/> ALL HAIL THE CRUEL GOD OF 2017!!!)

With the teams looking at TE, I would love to see them trade Gresham away for a draft pick. Even a 3rd would make me smile.

They could get it done, I would certainly be intrigued, and I think the organization would be able to get the fans off their back.

Even with all of that, I don't think it happens.

They have $25 million+ in cap space, they could make anything work without cutting so much as a fingernail.

But you know we have to keep space open so we have room to re-sign Gio and Eifert in 2017...

(Hey, if a trick works once, right? ;)/>/> ALL HAIL THE CRUEL GOD OF 2017!!!)

So, with the $25M in hand. + $8.75M cutting Hall. Makes almost $34M.

That is enough to get Jackson, get a decent vet FA CB, would be a major impact.

Hall is due almost 18M this year and next. That's not gonna work.

With the teams looking at TE, I would love to see them trade Gresham away for a draft pick. Even a 3rd would make me smile.

They could get it done, I would certainly be intrigued, and I think the organization would be able to get the fans off their back.

Even with all of that, I don't think it happens.

Gresham is due nearing $5M ($4.67) this year. He might be another guy who feels nervous.

Hall and Gresham.

Hall, for value and health questions, and Gresham, value and depth.

That would make another $12M+ in cap space. Now they'd be at $37M, more than enough to extend Dalton, bring in Jackson, bring in a vet CB, and get Green lined up.

Just too many red flags with Jackson. They've spent years cleaning up the locker room and they don't want to bring in a guy that could jeopardize that.

I do get, though, why the idea excites people. That would be quite a combo...

He's from a rough area of LA. almost every single person in some of these areas has some connection (friend, relative, classmate, etc) who is tied to gangs. Its pervasive.

Flashing known gang signs in opponents faces during games is a very bad sign but so far, its shown he's not a gang member.

I think the Eagles cut him because of the price. Kelly can get similar production from others, he has a plug and play offense.

I think bringing him in would give Jackson the chance to sort out his image (if its possible).

If he signs with the Raiders, and then is implicated in some unsolved drive-by, then we'll know why Kelly let him go.

(Hey, if a trick works once, right? ;)/>/>/>/>/> ALL HAIL THE CRUEL GOD OF 2017!!!)

So, with the $25M in hand. + $8.75M cutting Hall. Makes almost $34M.

That is enough to get Jackson, get a decent vet FA CB, would be a major impact.

Hall is due almost 18M this year and next. That's not gonna work.

I had a theory as to why the Bengals would not pursue DeSean Jackson, but then I saw the Vikes already re-signed Jerome Simpson, so ... I've got nothing. ^_^

Just FYI, I think they are scared to death of Green's impending extension. I think he will end up in the $16-18M/yr range.

BIG money going his way, one way or another.

Maybe, but Green is already going to count $6 million against the cap in 2014 and $10 million (against the cap and in real $$$) in 2015 if they pick up the option, which they will. And Mike has already talked about the tag after that, which right now sits at $12 million. So definitely big money, but very doable given what they already are budgeting for him and the expected cap hikes over the next couple seasons.

Really, there is a strong argument to be made that the best thing the Bengals should re: extending AJ is...nothing. $3 million of his 2014 number represents a signing bonus long since paid. So the total cost to keep him for this and the next two seasons is about $25 million, or about $8.3 million/year. That means he could be a UFA in March 2017, when he is about four months away from his 29th birthday. That's not a good outcome for him most likely. Of course, do that and he could quit on them...

Honestly I don't blame them for wanting to do Andy first. Of all the deals Green's could be the toughest.

Just too many red flags with Jackson. They've spent years cleaning up the locker room and they don't want to bring in a guy that could jeopardize that.

I do get, though, why the idea excites people. That would be quite a combo...

He's from a rough area of LA. almost every single person in some of these areas has some connection (friend, relative, classmate, etc) who is tied to gangs. Its pervasive.

Flashing known gang signs in opponents faces during games is a very bad sign but so far, its shown he's not a gang member.

I think the Eagles cut him because of the price. Kelly can get similar production from others, he has a plug and play offense.

I think bringing him in would give Jackson the chance to sort out his image (if its possible).

If he signs with the Raiders, and then is implicated in some unsolved drive-by, then we'll know why Kelly let him go.

It's more than the possible gang connections. Even if entirely nonexistent, word out of Eagle camp is that they weren't satisfied with his attitude and work ethic.

Dalton: extension talks underway.

Somewhere, COB is doing this, heavily: :beer:/>

ETA: another interesting data point in the Dalton debate from FO: failed completions.

What are failed completions? They are any complete passes that fail to gain enough yardage to count as a successful play based on these guidelines: 45 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, or 100 percent on third/fourth down.

Dalton, as befits his Mr. Average label, sits at 16 in terms of failed completions, sandwiched between Big Jen and Luck. The interesting thing to me was that they also calculated the DVOA and DYAR for these failed completions, which basically gives you a measure of how bad the failures were. In both of those, Dalton ranks a terrible 29th. In other words, Andy is actually decent moving the ball through the air, it's just that his f*ck-ups tend to be spectacular. (Likely this reflects his high INT number.)

Interestingly, when they broke out failed completions on 3rd/4th down, Andy gets better, rising to 12.

Finally, Eifert shows up on the top 10 list of WR/TEs with the most failed completions targeted at them. I would think there's hope that can be corrected with experience.

Bengals bringing in Danieal Manning for a look.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/01/danieal-manning-to-visit-bengals/

Just what we need, a DB who turns 32 in August.

On the Jackson front, reports are Jay Gruden will get him.