Reds vs. Giants

ArmyBengal

That's right, it's the playoffs and the Reds travel to San Fransico to start things out.

If you've missed it, the new format has them going on the road for the first 2 games and then back home for the rest.

Here are the pitching matchups slotted in order of the games:

Cueto vs. Cain

Arroyo vs. Bumgarner

Latos vs. Lincecum

Game 4 and 5 TBD, but I heard the game 4 starter (if needed) would be Bailey.

The Reds took 4 of 7 during the regular season.

The last played at the end of June and split a 4 game series.

While I don't care for the new format, I like the Reds chances in this one and like the fact they will be at home when they take the series. Here's to hoping the pitching stays strong and the Reds can put runs on the board !!!

GO REDS !!!

I hate the scheduling setup. It is pants-on-head stupid. I'm also not sure I like Dusty's choice to pitch Arroyo instead of Bailey, but I'll wait and see on that one. Hopefully Cueto can get us off on the right foot. I've still never seen a Cincinnati team win a single playoff game.

I've still never seen a Cincinnati team win a single playoff game.

Not even during the 1990 wire to wire season? I guess I'm blessed. I got to see them win EIGHT world series games in a row in '75 and '76. Of course that was the Big Red Machine, a team for the ages.

I was alive for the 1988 Super Bowl run, the 1990 Bengals playoff win, and the 1990 Reds World Series win. I was too young to enjoy it, or even know what was going on. Apparently the Reds went to the NLCS is 1995, but I wasn't paying attention then either. I didn't take much interest in sports until the turn of the millennium.

My Dad took me to both the 75 & 76 series when I was 5 and 6 years old.

Amazing how much of those series I can still remember.

It sticks with you better when you are actually there.

I recall the Bengals playing in Super Bowl XXIII, but I was at Super Bowl XVI and remember most everything even though I was younger. That's what i'm getting at.

Anyway, I recall the last World Series victory during the 1990 season.

I had just gotten to Germany, which was my very first assignment in the Army.

I remember walking into the bar at 19, learning the pleasures of German beer, and watching the games.

Good times indeed !!!

In regards to the series, I think I would have preferred Bailey over Arroyo myself, but i'm pretty sure this will go at least 4 games and he will get his turn in rotation. Maybe they just preferred Arroyo due to him having that veteran composure. I'm taking a guess mind you...

My Dad took me to both the 75 & 76 series when I was 5 and 6 years old.

Amazing how much of those series I can still remember.

It sticks with you better when you are actually there.

I recall the Bengals playing in Super Bowl XXIII, but I was at Super Bowl XVI and remember most everything even though I was younger. That's what i'm getting at.

Anyway, I recall the last World Series victory during the 1990 season.

I had just gotten to Germany, which was my very first assignment in the Army.

I remember walking into the bar at 19, learning the pleasures of German beer, and watching the games.

Good times indeed !!!

In regards to the series, I think I would have preferred Bailey over Arroyo myself, but i'm pretty sure this will go at least 4 games and he will get his turn in rotation. Maybe they just preferred Arroyo due to him having that veteran composure. I'm taking a guess mind you...

I'd rather see Arroyo pitch at San Fran than at home, he shouldnt give up any cheap HR's in there park and those will be popup outs.

Wow you guys make me feel old!! I remember the '70 series very well. Brooks made some of the greatest plays at 3rd base ever in that series. I'm hoping there is a rematch coming.....

Anybody who's old enough to remember the BRM will also remember that the 2 followed by 3 format was the system back then and it was considered a huge advantage for the team finishing the series at home. I remember articles written before the 1975 playoffs vs the Pirates about "whether the homefield disadvantage would sink the Reds". The 1975 Reds were the first NL team to win a playoff who started the series at home. Up until that point, the winner was always the team that had games 3-5 at home. Can you imagine game 5 of the NL playoffs vs the Pirates if it wasn't at Riverfront stadium?

It's a big advantage for our Reds to have games 3-5 at home in a 5 game series. All the pressure is on the Giants to sweep these first two games

Wow you guys make me feel old!! I remember the '70 series very well. Brooks made some of the greatest plays at 3rd base ever in that series. I'm hoping there is a rematch coming.....

As do I. Robinson was a vacuum cleaner at 3rd base, and Earl Weaver was quite a colorful manager prone to be ejected from games.

/me wishes he had cable to watch the game and instead has to settle for listening to ESPN.

If I could run you a cable to Colorado I would. So far the Reds are looking strong even after loosing their starting pitcher in the 1st.

Jesus. I haven't watched this much baseball in a long time. I caught the Cards and O's wins last night, and I've got the A's at Tigers on right now with the Reds and Giants on deck.

LET'S GO REDS!! cincinnatiredsmediumredbf1.gif

Your old school BZB!! And that's cool....Go Reds

Jesus. I haven't watched this much baseball in a long time. I caught the Cards and O's wins last night, and I've got the A's at Tigers on right now with the Reds and Giants on deck.

LET'S GO REDS!! cincinnatiredsmediumredbf1.gif

Your old school BZB!! And that's cool....Go Reds

I'm old in years, but not in heart. ;)