Types of PUP

TJJackson

With all the talk about PUP for Dre Kirkpatrick due to his recent leg injury, I have to say I was not aware there were different types of PUP - Physically Unable to Perform - lists for NFL teams

Can someone in the know on this topic list the types and detail the differences between different types of PUP?

(and no, sorry Agreen, I don't want to know about the differences between a great dane and a chihuahua)

Well, this is what Wiki says about it and how I understood it as well.

Pre-Season PUP

A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

Regular-Season PUP

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a three-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional three-week window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_Unable_to_Perform

Thanks Army

Derek mentions "Active PUP" and "Reserve PUP" in the Kirkpatrick injury thread - what are these?

Reserve PUP is the same as "Regular Season PUP" in that wikipedia article. You can't be placed on the Reserve PUP unless you were already on the Active PUP at the beginning of training camp.

A player on the "Active PUP" list counts against the roster limit. I don't see much benefit to it other than the possibility that they can eventually be placed on the "Reserve PUP" later on so that the player's roster spot can be used by another player for 6-9 weeks during the regular season.

As a side note... Kirkpatrick has not been placed on any PUP list. He's been placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury list... meaning that the Bengals could choose not to pay his salary for any time missed.

This is an option the Bengals exercised with Keith Rivers last year... and probably a big part of the reason that he was publicly bitter toward the Bengals on his way out.