Bengals vs. Jets

PatsFanTX

Hey folks, Patriot fan here.

I like to follow the competition in the AFCE pretty closely and I spent some time on a Jets message board where they all feel their opener against the Bengals will be a calkwalk and a guarenteed victory.

Most feel they have a huge advantage because it will be Palmer's first NFL start.

I happen to disagree and feel Palmer will have the advantage against a totally new defense.

Love to hear some of your thoughts about your opener against the Jets.

Thanks.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also welcome to "Bengalszone" Pats fan. Enjoy Corey Dillons talent. He'll get you some major yardage running the ball!

Thanks broome.

Really excited about having Dillon in the backfield.

The Pats haven't had a RB with his talents since Curtis Martin.

Love the job Marvin Lewis is doing and I think Palmer will turn out to be a very good QB.

Hope you guys smack the Jets in the opener!

Thanks broome.

Really excited about having Dillon in the backfield.

The Pats haven't had a RB with his talents since Curtis Martin.

Love the job Marvin Lewis is doing and I think Palmer will turn out to be a very good QB.

Hope you guys smack the Jets in the opener!

You are welcome, and I forgot to add congrats on yet another Super Bowl win. It must feel pretty freakin' good, eh? B)

I hope the Jets have a good run D because they are going to see a lot of Rudi in the first game. It will be Palmer's first start, but they will focus on running the ball most of the game. I hope they are ready for the Bengals new D. Secondary will be very good this year, and Oneil will be back to his Pro Bowl form.

I hope the Jets have a good run D because they are going to see a lot of Rudi in the first game. It will be Palmer's first start, but they will focus on running the ball most of the game.

Yup. Palmer's primary duty will be to take the snap and hand off to Rudi. Lather, rinse, repeat. And the Jets' run D is even more suspect than ours. On the Jets' part, I expect them to do much the same: hand the ball to Curtis Martin. He'll no doubt do some damage, but we're better suited to stopping a martin-style back then we are a Jamal Lewis pound-it-between-the-tackles-type.

And don't forget that this game will be as old hat to Palmer as anything can be at this point in his career. He's already played against the Jets in Giants Stadium -- in horrible conditions -- the first game of preseason last year. If he has to have his first start on the road anyplace, this is where to go.

Ain't gonna be no cakewalk.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I'm not saying they are going to win or lose, but I think it's going to be a struggle.

The Bengals have never played well at New York (both Jets and Giants) and against the Jets are 2-8 at New York with the last win in 1981. I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am. I know records against teams really is a grain of salt and doesn't carry any game by game weight but it's something to munch on while we painfully wait this freakin' game!

Also, as many have pointed out, it will be Palmer's first game -- I'm not saying he's going to play poorly or anything, but it's still his first game. Hopefully Chris is right.

I think we can win, but I don't think it's going to be a breeze.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I'm not saying they are going to win or lose, but I think it's going to be a struggle.

The Bengals have never played well at New York (both Jets and Giants) and against the Jets are 2-8 at New York with the last win in 1981. I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am. I know records against teams really is a grain of salt and doesn't carry any game by game weight but it's something to munch on while we painfully wait this freakin' game!

Also, as many have pointed out, it will be Palmer's first game -- I'm not saying he's going to play poorly or anything, but it's still his first game. Hopefully Chris is right.

Good post Kirk, Im going with you on this one.....

Also, look at what happened in last years opener...ouch.

I spent some time on a Jets message board where they all feel their opener against the Bengals will be a calkwalk and a guarenteed victory.

I don't think that there is any such thing as a "calkwalk and a guaranteed victory" in the NFL.

I Hope that the Jets Team has the same mind-set as their fans concerning this game but I doubt that they do.

I think it will be a hard fought game with both teams trying to control the ball with their running game.

But look for Palmer to find his spots to take it to the air.

I think that Chris has it about right....Bengals 24 to 14....but that doesn't mean that it will be easy.

By the way I to wish CD well in New England except of course on Dec 12 th.

In spite of being a problem-child, he has been an outstanding RB and I hope that he finnishs out his career well.

I put this on another thread, but I'll say it again.

Bengals 28-21

Palmer struggles but pulls out the win, a la Rex Grossman against the Vikes last year.

Rudi runs for 150.

I agree, Bengals will be able to pull out a win but it will be close...maybe just a field-goal the difference. The last time the Bengals played in NJ during the regular season they had the game won, with Akili Smith at QB no less. I was at the game and watched the Jets come back late with 2 picks off Kitna on "deep balls" when the Bengals were fighting to come back. That was before Lewis and all his changes to the organization. The Jets haven't done much except go through some major changes in their secondary and LB corps, and upgrade their QB and WRs slightly. I look for the new Jets D to struggle some with the combination of Johnson and Johnson, with a little bit of Perry thrown in (provided he gets into camp), and Palmer suprises a lot of people by not trying to be a superstar and playing a smart controlled football game.

Of course, I'm always the bringer of bad news:

Jets 24, Bungles 10--Carson Palmer struggles all day in his debut. The Defense gives up long bombs from Chad Pennington and gives up 90 yards on the ground to My Favorite Martian.

The Defense is on the field for almost the entire day. The Jets have the ball 10 minutes longer than the Bungles.

It's going to be a bad opening day for Carson Palmer.

Jets 24, Bungles 10--Carson Palmer struggles all day in his debut. The Defense gives up long bombs from Chad Pennington and gives up 90 yards on the ground to My Favorite Martian.

The Defense is on the field for almost the entire day. The Jets have the ball 10 minutes longer than the Bungles.

First off, Pennington can not throw a good deep ball if his life depended on it. He has a very weak arm and his accuracy over 30 yards is pathetic.

Also, the Jets ranked 28th last year in Time of Possession.

If the Bengals can effectively run the ball, keep Palmer out of 3rd and long situations, take away Pennington's short passing game and win the turnover battle, then they should be able to come away with a victory.

Jets 24, Bungles 10--Carson Palmer struggles all day in his debut.  The Defense gives up long bombs from Chad Pennington and gives up 90 yards on the ground to My Favorite Martian.

The Defense is on the field for almost the entire day.  The Jets have the ball 10 minutes longer than the Bungles.

First off, Pennington can not throw a good deep ball if his life depended on it. He has a very weak arm and his accuracy over 30 yards is pathetic.

If the Bengals can effectively run the ball, keep Palmer out of 3rd and long situations, take away Pennington's short passing game and win the turnover battle, then they should be able to come away with a victory.

you'll have to forgive Barbarian, he's not just a glass half empty guy - he's more a glass is just completely empty guy

Jets 24, Bungles 10--Carson Palmer struggles all day in his debut.  The Defense gives up long bombs from Chad Pennington and gives up 90 yards on the ground to My Favorite Martian.

The Defense is on the field for almost the entire day.  The Jets have the ball 10 minutes longer than the Bungles.

You do realize that Pennington was injured for all of last year, right???

That would explain the Jets low TOP. You have old and decrepit Vinnie Testacleverde in there--what do you expect????

You do realize that Pennington was injured for all of last year, right???

That would explain the Jets low TOP. You have old and decrepit Vinnie Testacleverde in there--what do you expect????

Injured all of last year?

Pennington missed the first 6 games and played in the remaining 10.

And the real reason why the Jets were ranked 28th in TOP had nothing to do with the QB situation.

Their defense could not stop the run. Last year the Raiders ran the ball 21 straight times on their opening possession and went 85 yards for a TD all the while eating up 9:00 minutes of the clock.

BTW, watch what Vinny does for Parcells this year. ;)

I was over at the Jets site and I saw alot of mixed reaction to this game. But I dont think they are taking the Bengals to lightly.

from a member post:

"i'll tell you what...the jets better not look past this one or count it as a lock. that line up shows this is not the same old bengals...they have talent. i don't see us coming out flat opening at home, but its a classic game to under achieve in. " :player:

I was over at the Jets site and I saw alot of mixed reaction to this game. But I dont think they are taking the Bengals to lightly.

from a member post:

"i'll tell you what...the jets better not look past this one or count it as a lock. that line up shows this is not the same old bengals...they have talent. i don't see us coming out flat opening at home, but its a classic game to under achieve in. " :player:

Seems like both sides think this will be a good game.

I'm just ready for the football season to start RIGHT THE HELL NOW! :angry::lol:

you'll have to forgive Barbarian, he's not just a glass half empty guy - he's more a glass is just completely empty guy

I completely missed this one!!!

CT,

My glass is only empty because it's been empty for 14 f**king YEARS. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS, MAN.

;)

CT,

My glass is only empty because it's been empty for 14 f**king YEARS. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS, MAN.

;)

That is not totally true Barbarian.

The glass was 1/2 Full last year, you just refuse to acknowledge it.

CT,

;)

That is not totally true Barbarian.

The glass was 1/2 Full last year, you just refuse to acknowledge it.

As I have stated over and over again:

ONE 8-8 MEDIOCRE SEASON ISN'T GOING TO DO IT. I need playoffs baby. The cup is still empty as I walk through the Sahara as a fan of this team.

;)