Votto to be extended?

UK Bengal

I like it. The closer Votto gets to the end of that contract, the more his price will jump (unless his numbers slump, but I doubt that will happen). It'll already be an extreme challenge to keep him around, so I'm glad they're intent to address the issue immediately. It could definitely eat into the money they have to spend elsewhere, but Votto is the best thing they have going for them and if they don't stick with him they'll doom themselves to being a permanently reloading farm force.

Holy s**t that's huge I seriously doubt BP is gonna be a red next season which is crap because the guy is awesome

Welcome to the economic world of MLB. It sucks. A market like Cincinnati has to pick and choose its investments and it looks like they chose Votto over Phillips. I have my reservations over this deal but let's start with the Phillips-Votto question. Votto is an MVP, while Phillips is an occasional All Star. The strength of the organization in the minor leagues is in middle INFs. Phillips is older and is more likely to decline given his skillset.

If I was Castellini I'd go to Phillips and say "hey, we're not the Yankees and we can't pay you top market value but if you'd like to stay a Cin Red we'll offer a 2 yr deal for $15mill and you can be a part of something special here and you sure won't starve". If he wants top dollar he can walk. The choice is his

May be some VERY good news upcoming for those of us worried about losing Brandon:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120405&content_id=27982028&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

It's imperative they keep Phillips.

May be some VERY good news upcoming for those of us worried about losing Brandon:

http://cincinnati.re...ws_cin&c_id=cin

It's imperative they keep Phillips.

Yeah, I just didn't see them dropping another huge contract after Votto and all the offseason money they spent on pitching. It seems like the front office is truly dedicated to winning and I LIKE it!

cheers.gif

I would love to see Phillips brought back.

They seem to think the farm system is going to produce some really good players, but I can't say as I would be comfortable losing an all-star second baseman and testing that thought.

Bring him back, but not for longer than 4-5 years. He is getting old. I still dislike watching him play the game, he has to showboat almost every play he makes and he still does not run out a groundball very often. It's to bad that Rolen's playing style has not rubbed off on him some.

They seem to think the farm system is going to produce some really good players, but I can't say as I would be comfortable losing an all-star second baseman and testing that thought.

Bring him back, but not for longer than 4-5 years. He is getting old. I still dislike watching him play the game, he has to showboat almost every play he makes and he still does not run out a groundball very often. It's to bad that Rolen's playing style has not rubbed off on him some.

He was tired for 3rd among 2nd basemen in fielding percentage last year at .992. 715/721 to be exact. That showboating's really hurting the guy. rolleyes.gif

He was tired for 3rd among 2nd basemen in fielding percentage last year at .992. 715/721 to be exact. That showboating's really hurting the guy. rolleyes.gif

All it takes is one dropped routine pop fly, while acting like a promi dona. I never said he was causing problems with it, just that I dont like watching A-hole players,like that. He thinks he is good enough to not play by the basics of the game, it will bite him in the rear someday.

Again, as I stated before, it is to bad that Rolen's no nonsense approach has not rubbed off on BP, just a little.

He is getting old, 4-5 years is a long enough contract for him.

All it takes is one dropped routine pop fly, while acting like a promi dona. I never said he was causing problems with it, just that I dont like watching A-hole players,like that. He thinks he is good enough to not play by the basics of the game, it will bite him in the rear someday.

In what way is he not fundamentally sound? How many popups have you seen the guy miss? He can't play the "by the basics of the game"? Seriously? Do you have anything to back this up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42cV9pGpdAY

I'm not really sure what you could have against him other than possibly his run-in with the Cardinals a while back.

Sounds like a real "A-hole" to me: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/brandon-phillips-shocks-twitter-follower-by-showing-up-at-his-game?urn=mlb,wp7003

Stupid "promi donas". dry.gif

In what way is he not fundamentally sound? How many popups have you seen the guy miss? He can't play the "by the basics of the game"? Seriously? Do you have anything to back this up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42cV9pGpdAY

I'm not really sure what you could have against him other than possibly his run-in with the Cardinals a while back.

Sounds like a real "A-hole" to me: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/brandon-phillips-shocks-twitter-follower-by-showing-up-at-his-game?urn=mlb,wp7003

Stupid "promi donas". dry.gif

Wow, dude settle down. All I was saying is I dont like watching the type of ball player that BP has become. I would rather watch a 110% hustle guy with average talent giving everything on every play, than a wanker that thinks he is the best ever.

I must really have something against him to want him back for 4-5 more years. :lmao: