Who Could Make a Bigger Impact ??

ArmyBengal

I was going back to look at the board reaction from last years draft and then looking forward to this coming season.

We have issues with the safety and linebacker positions and thought about both Sands and Moch.

In looking at the draft threads for both, there was excitement and compelling information given as to why both of these players could become starters in the league. That was from an analyst standpoint, not just board member fantasy speak. So in that line of thought, the coaches were obviously thinking the same thing and why we may not see much "draftwise" at those positions.

Understanding it's pre-free agency and draft, if there is in fact little movement there, who are you all looking for to come on this season ?? Moch obviously had some injury concerns last year and made the switch from DE to OLB, but I think we are so weak there he has all the opportunity in the world and has stupid speed. Sands also could benefit from the fact the safety position is so weak and has the reputation as a big hitter. Hopefully he can show something and help out at an area of huge need.

Thoughts about either of these guys besides, "they can't help" ??

I was pretty boner-ed when the Bengals drafted Sands and have been disappointed he hasn't hit the playing field as yet.

I'm hoping that a second lot of camps and pre-season will unleash his potential and with a thin secondary I am looking forward to him not just pushing for some action but making a starter spot his own and showcasing what we all have been led to believe he can achieve! :cheers:

I was also a big fan of sands. I did say he was extremely raw but I saw him being a year or 2 away from being a really good player. I still dont know if it will be next year, but I think he will be a starter and will be a good one. I believe I compared him to a less risky less expensive Jerome Simpson. My argument, Best way to cancel out the new, popular, 6'4-6'6 guys who run 4.5 40s is to cover them with 6'4 guys who run 4.4 40s. This guy will become a tight end stopper.

To throw a curve ball into the Moch/Sands question how about widening the debate to include the O side of the ball .....Hawkings? Shipley? a running back? ?? If we can keep control moving the ball forward that should take the pressure of the D and so, by theory, limit the dependency of high level players/performance on the D side.

oooohhhh that sounds bad kneels down, curls up, covers ears, awaits fallout)

To throw a curve ball into the Moch/Sands question how about widening the debate to include the O side of the ball .....Hawkings? Shipley? a running back? ?? If we can keep control moving the ball forward that should take the pressure of the D and so, by theory, limit the dependency of high level players/performance on the D side.

oooohhhh that sounds bad kneels down, curls up, covers ears, awaits fallout)

I didn't include them because Hawkins played a significant amount of time and we already know Shipley is a stud if he returns healthy.

Either way, the slot will be manned with little question.

I mentioned Sands and Moch due to the fact that neither had much, if any, playing time last season, play a position of great need and both were looked upon as being starters in the league at some point. There's no denying that linebacker and safety are HUGE, GLARING holes and it would be nice to know we had adequate replacements already in place.

Running back ?? I never mentioned it because even though Gruden wants to run by committee this coming season, I don't think the RB that will still be that "main" guy for the committee is on the roster at this point in time. If they get Michael Bush in FA or draft a RB, then they could of course be included. However, whoever that "main" guy is will still only be as successful as the improvements needed on the interior of the o-line.