Cleveland Is a hellhole

COB

We think we have it bad with the Bengals. But everything is relative, and Cleveland fans have it much worse. Not only is their team a botched hack job, but their city, in my opinion, is one of the worst in the whole country. I don't even like going to Cleveland for anything except a tribe game, and then it's in and out without any waiting around. My 8 year old son's most vivid memory of Cleveland is watching a homeless guy rant at a flock of pigeons that was crowding him as he threw his dinner on the ground.

Anyway I just read a book called "After the Apocalypse" by Maureen F. McHugh. It is a book of short stories. The first story is called the Naturalist, and it is about the future. The protagonist is a prisoner and gets taken from prison and dumped in Cleveland, which is so crappy in the future that they dump the worst of the worst criminals there. There are zombies there, and no working anything (kind of like Cleveland right now). So the guy spends a few weeks there, then the government comes and gets him out.

The amazing thing about the story is that there is some press there when the guy gets extracted from Cleveland, and he says something that is so controversial that he ends up on the Today Show and 20/20 to talk about it. What is it that this guy said that no one can beleive, that is so contrary to the conventional wisdom that he is invited to explain it on national news shows?

He said, "Cleveland was better than prison."