New 2012 NFL Mock Draft

DFlo

Hey guys, I've updated my mock draft for the 3/4 point of the season.

You can check it out here: 2012 NFL Mock Draft

Let me know what you think. Would love to hear your feedback!

I've also added a Draft Order section that I will be updating weekly for the next 4 weeks

No offense DFlo, but your graphics makes it difficult to see.

I like the format myself, but Kalil and Richardson are going back for their senior year.

Right now i'm enjoying the thought of what we may be able to do in this upcoming draft with the glut of picks in the first 3 rounds.

Many are speculating that with the loss of Joseph, we will earn a 3rd round comp.

5 picks in the first 3 rounds ?? Yeah, nice setup for the team moving forward.

Sorry Billy, I don't know why but for some people it comes out hard to read. Probably a computers thing.

Kalil said that he still hasn't decided, the whole fuss was over nothing and he's still thinking about it. Apparently there's a rumor that Barkley is going to declare soon, which means Kalil is probably gone too. Where did you hear that Richardson is returning? He's got two kids already and his stock is sky high right now, don't see him returning.

Yep, I saw that as well. I really don't know why he would go back, but they have until the 15th of January or somewhere close to make up their minds definitively. I think he will be gone before we pick as well. Funny thing I keep running into is who may or may not fall. There always seems to be someone there that you never thought would be and while I think one of the two first rounders ABSOLUTELY HAS to be a CB, the other first rounder is really up for grabs.

You could easily say that RB, OG, would make the most sense. However, what if the BPA happens to be a WR and they can't trade back ?? Not that I would be overjoyed in that scenario, but it could be other positions as well. Safety, DT, OLB, OT ?? I'm just saying that outside of a CB, the other first round pick is far from locked into a certain position.

I for one am going to be very excited come draft time !!!

We will have to see Billy. This might be the first year in MANY YEARS where my presence on the board during the draft is in question. School will still be going strong and I really have to stay on top of that. That being said, you know I will make every effort possible to continue that tradition around here.

Matt Miller posted a 3 round Mock Draft today.

He has Cordy Glenn and David DeCastro both going in the top 13 picks (sad face).

He has the Bengals taking Janoris Jenkins and Lamar Miller in the 1st round. I can't complain too much... but Stephon Gilmore is the CB I want the most, and except for Richardson, I'm not sold on a 1st round RB.

He has the Bengals selecting Jairus Wright in the 2nd round... a player I don't know all that much about. I know he's very small, a good route runner, and might be the fastest player in the draft. I guess if the Bengals let Simpson and Caldwell walk, they will need help at WR... but I'm kind of hoping the Bengals hit the free agent market hard at WR.

In the 3rd round he has Cincy taking LB Emmanuel Acho... and I'll just go on record right now saying that if the Bengals don't use one of their first 4 picks on an O-Linemen, I'm going to blow a gasket.

I could see both Glenn and DeCastro being gone before the Bengals pick. But really, I'm hoping that the Bengals look to free agency for offensive line help. Miller would definitely be a reach in the first IMO. As for wideout, again, let's see who's out there in March. While I was listening to the pregame show on CBS this weekend, I heard Casserly talking about free agency next year. According to Charlie, the cap will either not increase in 2012, or only go up slightly. However, next year's free agent class will be the largest in NFL history. So there will be a lot of guys chasing fewer dollars, which is an ideal situation for the Bengals.

I'm hoping that the Bengals look to free agency for offensive line help....

As for wideout, again, let's see who's out there in March.

I'm with on at WR. I'll take whichever WR the Saints don't resign (Meachem or Colston).

It doesn't seem like the Bengals style though to bring in starting O-Linemen from other teams. Bobbie Williams is the only guy I can remember them doing that with.

However, to free up some flexibility in the draft, I'd love to see the Bengals go sign Michael Bush from the Raiders. A bruising RB with plenty of tread left on his tires, because he's been primarily a back-up... and he's been great catching the ball out of the backfield.

Well, they just tried to bring in a FA guard earlier this year, Deuce Lutui but got scared off when he arrived weighing 9,000 pounds (thanks, Andre). And they've brought in guys like Richmond Webb and Matt O'Dwyer in the past. So if they see someone they like I wouldn't be surprised if the went after o-line in FA. At the very least they are going to need a quality backup if they lose Collins, which seems more likely than not. And then there's the question of Smith, he could be gone after next season. And Livings isn't anything special. And Whit isn't getting any younger...

Now that I think about it, I'd say we can probably expect them to go after o-line in FA and the draft.

I'd be down with Bush.

Now that I think about it, I'd say we can probably expect them to go after o-line in FA and the draft.

Yeah. When you start looking down the road, the O-Line is a mess. That's why I'm so high on DeCastro and would like to see Collins brought back.

Whitworth/DeCastro/Cook/Andre/Collins as the 2012 O-Line would please me greatly... but I understand it's a pipe-dream.

So with that in mind, we're left with your suggestion. Hit FA and the draft. Hence, my outrage if they choose to ignore the O-line in the draft again.

• Like 1

One issue re: o-line could end up being value, at least in the first round. I saw today that Ourlads has put up their top 32. Right now, the Bengals would pick at 17 and 20 in the first. Ourlads has DeCastro at 16, so he would be good value if he slips, but starting at 17 and running all the way through 26, it's all defense. And mostly defensive line. And I have to say upgrading from guys like Fanene is attractive.

Starting at 17 and running all the way through 26, it's all defense. And mostly defensive line.

We'll see what they choose to do with Rucker and Sims. I won't be outraged if they go D-Line... because I think it's the most effective way to beat elite QBs (Brady and Rodgers don't look like themselves when they start getting hit).

That said, it's currently the strength of the team and probably the place they need the least help. I can say with confidence that any D-Lineman they draft will play no more than 25 snaps/game. (Especially if Sims or Rucker return).

So with that in mind, they better damn well address some of their glaring holes in FA (WR, RB, O-Line, Secondary) if they are thinking about using a 1st round pick on the D-Line.

Hoosier, I noticed Melvin Ingram doesn't make their top 32. I've seen him as high as top 10 on some boards (I guess that illustrates how arbitrary these big boards can be at this point in the year).

But Ingram seems to me like a prototypical Marvin Lewis type pick. Ridiculous athlete at 270 pounds, but runs like a LB and has played well at the LB spot when he was asked to. These kinds of players seem to be the guys Marvin just can't say 'no' to... but with MJ and Moch already on the roster, maybe he'll pass on Ingram.

Yeah, this year will certainly bring about a change of how things will pan out come draft time. There wasn't really a big FA period last season and now that seems to be something that will garner less attention with teams being able to add players at a cheaper rate through the draft and having more money to take care of their own FA's. It's not to say there won't be guys in FA that will be attractive, but rather how much a team is going to want to pay out versus what they get in the draft.

When looking at the Bengals picks through the first few rounds, we could be looking at a glut of picks to either address more holes or move up and address less holes with a better "perspective" player. I'm still hopeful the loss of JJoe will net a 3rd round comp pick, giving us 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Oddly enough, I find myself being able to justify many different paths to travel when considering THAT many early picks. The one path that seems to be a constant in the first is CB. After that, we could go many different directions with the remaining 4. WR, RB, OG, S, OT, OLB, or even double dipping at the CB spot.

I've seen many different perspectives on the 2012 draft and many have another top end WR falling. I can't say as I would complain with adding another outside weapon opposite Green and I rarely think in that direction. On top of those positions I listed, depending on what happens with our own FA's, D-line could also very well end up on that list as well.

Hoosier, I noticed Melvin Ingram doesn't make their top 32. I've seen him as high as top 10 on some boards (I guess that illustrates how arbitrary these big boards can be at this point in the year).

But Ingram seems to me like a prototypical Marvin Lewis type pick. Ridiculous athlete at 270 pounds, but runs like a LB and has played well at the LB spot when he was asked to. These kinds of players seem to be the guys Marvin just can't say 'no' to... but with MJ and Moch already on the roster, maybe he'll pass on Ingram.

I'm not sure that there's ever been a defensive player in the draft that Marvin hasn't looked at and thought, "wow, what a linebacker he would make." But yeah, I've had more than enough of these hybrid DE/LB crossovers/conversion projects/tweeners.

Ingram is all over the place. NFL Draft Scout rates him the fifth-best DE. Walter ranks him 8th and thinks he's a second-round prospect. My bet is he's going to put up crazy combine numbers and someone will bite earlier rather than later.

Edited to add: Lou mocks Ingram to the Bengals. He also has Richardson falling to 17.

Matt Miller's Updated Mock Draft based on Barkley returning to USC.

Damn... one player changes everything for the Bengals. Instead of Janoris Jenkins and Lamar Miller, the Bengals get Alfonzo Dennard (CB, Nebraska), and Mark Barron (SS, Alabama).

Two first round picks on the secondary? That would make 7 first rounders for the Bengals (Leon Hall, Nate Clements, Reggie Nelson, Pacman Jones, and Kelly Jennings).

You know what? I'd be ok with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Miller has a Full 7-Round Mock Draft with the updated draft order.

He has the Bengals taking Lamar Miller with the #17 overall pick... and Cordy Glenn then goes at #18. I really hope the Bengals don't pass on Glenn if he's there. He'd be an excellent LG who can step in at RT if Andre doesn't work out or gets injured.

He has the Bengals taking Alfonzo Dennard with the #23 pick... a player that I am warming up to.

Yeah. When you start looking down the road, the O-Line is a mess. That's why I'm so high on DeCastro and would like to see Collins brought back.

Whitworth/DeCastro/Cook/Andre/Collins as the 2012 O-Line would please me greatly... but I understand it's a pipe-dream.

So with that in mind, we're left with your suggestion. Hit FA and the draft. Hence, my outrage if they choose to ignore the O-line in the draft again.

That would be an ideal line. I think Collins is gone just because we don't seem to value him all that much by giving him PT. Collins has got t be better then Livings or Williams if not both. Leaving him on the bench does not make a ton of sense.