New 2012 NFL Mock Draft

DFlo

Hey guys, I've updated my mock draft to reflect the standings so far

You can check it out here: 2012 NFL Mock Draft

I fixed some of the backgrounds to make the text more readable. Let me know if you can't read any.

As well I would love to hear your feedback!

It's too early to talk about the 2012 draft.

It's too early to talk about the 2012 draft.

Yes. Yes it is. However, it's never too early for my alma mater's finest...

Oh I knew there was something wrong with you, you're a Bobcat. Once at a college fair me and a buddy was thinking about going to journalism school and talked to OU. They were very snobbish and made sure to point out their standards of a 25 on the ACT and grade point average and such. We just laughed and walked away from them for doing that. We were both 4.0 students with 28+ ACT scores, but if that was how a college was going to present themselves, neither of us wanted to go there. He ended up going to Butler University where I visited as well, and I ended up going to THE Ohio State University. It's funny how one encounter at a college fair can change a whole life.

Don't let'em fool you, it's never to early for the draft !!!

I like the look of the site alot and suppose we could do worse than Richardson for sure. I really hope the Bengals look to improve the o-line for the future success of Dalton. The safety position is still a need in my opinion as well. I wouldn't bitch about Richardson though.

I certainly wouldn't complain about Richardson, if the Bengals were able to get him, but......If they can use that draft pick on a top flight CB (Clements is doing fine now, but for how many more years?) O-Line help, or a Pass Rusher, and then sign a Free Agent RB like say....Jonathan Stewart (who won't be kept around seeing that he doesn't get any touches with Newton at QB and DeAngelo is making Big $$$) i'd say do that....

I certainly wouldn't complain about Richardson, if the Bengals were able to get him, but......If they can use that draft pick on a top flight CB (Clements is doing fine now, but for how many more years?) O-Line help, or a Pass Rusher, and then sign a Free Agent RB like say....Jonathan Stewart (who won't be kept around seeing that he doesn't get any touches with Newton at QB and DeAngelo is making Big $$$) i'd say do that....

I'm not high on Richardson simply because of his body type. Usually when you have this massive freaks that love to hit the weight room so much, they lose their flexibility and become susceptible to injuries, most of which happen to be ligament injuries which are long term and sometimes career threatening. Like I said before, I would prefer a RT to replace Andre Smith followed by maybe a safety in round 2 or a running back. There are always some decent running backs out on the free agent market and if a guy like Mike Tolbert isn't too expensive he would make a good complimentary back to a guy like Scott.

if a guy like Mike Tolbert isn't too expensive he would make a good complimentary back to a guy like Scott.

He would indeed, it would also serve as a good trivia question.....Which NFL franchise is the only one to ever have 2 players from Coastal Carolina University on the same team? Bengals with Jerome Simpson and Mike Tolbert.

I'm not high on Richardson simply because of his body type. Usually when you have this massive freaks that love to hit the weight room so much, they lose their flexibility and become susceptible to injuries, most of which happen to be ligament injuries which are long term and sometimes career threatening. Like I said before, I would prefer a RT to replace Andre Smith followed by maybe a safety in round 2 or a running back. There are always some decent running backs out on the free agent market and if a guy like Mike Tolbert isn't too expensive he would make a good complimentary back to a guy like Scott.

I've had this same thing in the back of my mind regarding Richardson. I don't watch college football so don't really have an opinion on him specifically, but when I read how ripped a guy is and how low his body fat is a red flag goes up. ANd if that guy plays one of the most injury-prone positions in football... I would be leery of spending a 1st rounder on such a player.

Does Richardson have any injury history in college/HS? What's his workload been like (chris perry had a clean injury history but a ton of touches, IIRC)?

Richardson played great again yesterday, but I am still scared of a guy like him. If I can remember back very far it seems like it is about a 50% swing on if a workout warrior is good in the pros. Mike Mamula was aweful. Then Napoleon MacCallum had one of the most horrific knee injuries I have ever seen in a game. Some guys have been successful and avoided injuries like Vernon Davis and Brian Orakapo. So who knows, anything can happen.

Now that the Bengals have Oakland's pick... I'll take the CB Claiborne you had them taking. Although I would also be a huge fan of drafting Cordy Glenn with that pick (Cincy loves their versatile O-Linemen, and he's Boling's former teammate).

I don't forsee Richardson falling to the Bengals, but I'll be ecstatic if he does. That's a blue-chip RB... and with AJ Green, there would be a lot of scary talent on the field.

Now that the Bengals have Oakland's pick... I'll take the CB Claiborne you had them taking. Although I would also be a huge fan of drafting Cordy Glenn with that pick (Cincy loves their versatile O-Linemen, and he's Boling's former teammate).

I don't forsee Richardson falling to the Bengals, but I'll be ecstatic if he does. That's a blue-chip RB... and with AJ Green, there would be a lot of scary talent on the field.

What about using some of those numerous draft picks to trade up and get Khalil? They could probably package say their highest first rounder, a second rounder, and a future second/third rounder to move up. Then they would still have a second first round pick that they could select another position of need. After looking over some of the possible RBs to come out in the draft, I would pass on a first round RB. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Florida's Rainey in the third or fourth round, and Montee Ball from Wisconsin could be an early second to mid second round pick. Rainey leads the Gators in rushing and receiving. He reminds me of a Warrick Dunn guy but with an even better body.

I'll have whatever this guy is smoking.

The Bengals use both their first round picks on pass-rushing D-Linemen? Does he not realize that the D-Line is by far the deepest and most talented spot on the entire roster?

Those picks wouldn't make any sense with Fananae being the only guy with a chance of leaving on a one year contract. I think. The rest of the D-line is pretty young and all signed up.

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I've always really liked Matt Miller's work.

According to him... there are only four players in this draft that are truly rare type talents... Luck, Kalil (barely), Richardson, and Burfict.

The Bengals have no shot at Luck or Kalil. I don't really want any part of Burfict, partly because I'm a huge Maualuga supporter... and the Bengals need to focus on RB, CB, OG, and Safety.

When I think about Richardson I notice that the sun is shining and birds are chirping (although I admit that Chris Polk is starting to give me a similar warm fuzzy feeling).

I don't really want any part of Burfict, partly because I'm a huge Maualuga supporter... and the Bengals need to focus on RB, CB, OG, and Safety.

It seems like every year a prospect comes along who polarizes the Bengal fanbase, and this year that polarizing prospect is shaping up to be Burfict. (Don't Taze me bro?) All I know for certain is that in very short order Vontaze Burfict somehow manged to intimidate and get into the collective heads of the entire USC football program, and that's got to count for something. So while I won't pimp the guy outright....I'm interested.

Also, your boy Miller made note of something I've been thinking but hadn't yet written. That being, the increasing probability that Cordy Glenn will eventually be deemed capable of playing OLT in the NFL. If true, I'd expect him to be off the board before the Bengals pick.

Vontaze Burfict somehow manged to intimidate and get into the collective heads of the entire USC football program, and that's got to count for something. So while I won't pimp the guy outright....I'm interested.

He's a loose cannon. He's overly violent. He will get a lot of personal fouls.

Sounds Awesome! Who among us wouldn't ignore these concerns if Ndamukong Suh were available?

With that out of the way, my concerns are need based. Is he going to replace Maualuga? Why exactly? Rey has been good in his first year at MLB, hasn't he? So unless I can be convinced that Burfict is either a top tier SAM, or a slam dunk, once in a lifetime, Ray Lewis clone... I'll pass.

I want a CB, a RB, and an OG with the first 3 picks... in that order.

With that out of the way, my concerns are need based. Is he going to replace Maualuga? Why exactly? Rey has been good in his first year at MLB, hasn't he? So unless I can be convinced that Burfict is either a top tier SAM, or a slam dunk, once in a lifetime, Ray Lewis clone... I'll pass.

But that's just the point. Your boy Matt Miller ranks Burfict as the 2nd best ILB prospect of all freaking time....trailing only Patrick Willis. So yeah, he's got Burfict ranked higher than Ray Lewis was. Miller has also ranked Burfict as the 7th best prospect in the coming draft, and that's only after recently pushing him down the rankings.

Depending upon where the Bengals draft Burfict could very easily grade out as BPA by a very wide margin.

But that's just the point. Your boy Matt Miller ranks Burfict as the 2nd best ILB prospect of all freaking time....trailing only Patrick Willis. So yeah, he's got Burfict ranked higher than Ray Lewis was. Miller has also ranked Burfict as the 7th best prospect in the coming draft, and that's only after recently pushing him down the rankings.

Depending upon where the Bengals draft Burfict could very easily grade out as BPA by a very wide margin.

For the guy to say he is the second best ILB prospect of all-time yet rank him as the 7th best player available in this draft, he is either on crack or he is saying Luck and the others ahead of him are hall of famers. I mean seriously think a little more about what he is saying. If he is that great he would be ranked top pf five overall and I would say at the highest 2nd or 3rd. I just feel if the Bengals are going to look at anybody that high, at even take a sniff at trading up, it better be for Kalhil. He may not be the bigeest tackle but he has some long ass arms that keep the defender from getting a hold of him. He also has some pretty quick feet.

Your boy Matt Miller ranks Burfict as the 2nd best ILB prospect of all freaking time....trailing only Patrick Willis.

That's not precisely true. He's the 2nd best ILB prospect in the last 12 years. That's as far back as Miller's expertise goes.

But that's a little beside the point. I don't need to be convinced that he's a great prospect. I know that he is. I'm arguing that the Bengals already have a very good prospect at MLB.

The only reason I could see drafting someone to replace Rey, is if the guy in question is a sure fire hall of famer. That's not something anyone can guarantee. And if you could guarantee that Burfict will be the second coming of Ray Lewis... he wouldn't make it past the 2nd pick in the draft.

Will Burfict be the BPA if he falls to the Bengals? Probably... so I won't be outraged if they pick him, but I'm also guessing there will also be very good value at a position of much greater need. And unless you are a team with no holes... you don't draft purely the BPA. You draft the BPA at a position of need.

Will Burfict be the BPA if he falls to the Bengals?

I think "if he falls to the Bengals" is the operative question. Obviously early, but right now the Bengals' highest pick is Oakland's at 18. If Burfict is as awesome as billed, he won't make it out of the top 10 unless he holds up a liquor store between now and next April.

I think "if he falls to the Bengals" is the operative question.

Yarp.

If he's truly the best ILB prospect since Willis, he'll be a top 10 pick... possibly top 5.

If he does falls to one of the Bengals spots (likely in the teens), he's probably not quite as amazing as he is currently being billed... and thus, a strong argument should be made to draft a position of greater need.