Reds vs. Pirates

ArmyBengal

Well, who would have thought the Pirates would be the team to knock off at the start of the second half ??

Anyway, Willis has the start tonight and it would be nice to see them change their luck against the Pirates this season.

The Cards start up against the Mets and the Brewers have the D'Backs.

GO REDS !!!

because "hitting with RISP" is mostly a meaningless luck statistic, in my opinion

This season has been so frustrating.

Yeah, that was a rhetorical question. However, I can't disagree with you more on that. This team played with a focus and purpose last year and because of that they are complacent.

Dusty said it best a few days ago in response to the question from Marty asking "Why have the hitters (Bruce, Stubbs, etc) struggled so much this year?" Dusty: "The opposing pitchers are pitching different to them."

Thanks, genious. And we pay our coaches to do what? Good hitters adjust. Good hitters make adjustments when pitchers adjust to them over time. There is no proactiveness on this team and certainly none coming from the coaching staff that I can see. No urgency, no appearance of any action to change any of the "curve balls" thrown their ways this year. Nope. Just a stance from the team that "we are close. Things will get better."

Afterall, why make changes and adjustments when you were 2010 NLC Champions?

I feel bad for Willis who has had two outings where he has given up two runs and can't get a win.

I don't think they should have pulled him in the bottom of the 4th when they did either.

I remember when we would say, "If we only had a pitcher that would only give up a couple runs, this team would win consistently".

Well, we have that with more than one and this team can't get the clutch hits. I also agree with not seeing them make adjustments.

Look at Jay Bruce. Goes crazy in the month of May and then has been below average in the next two months following that explosion.

If we end up taking the last two and winning the series against the Pirates, I would still be very happy, but there are issues with this team that have yet to be addressed and now that we are into the second half of the season, i'm starting to wonder if those issues will be addressed at all.

Bruce continues his inconsistent ways and leaves the team hanging when given the opportunity.

He's not the only one, but how the hell does this team get shutout back to back nights ??

You have starting pitchers that go out on consecutive nights and give up a combined 3 runs and we can't get a win ??

F*CKING RIDICULOUS !!!

Bruce continues his inconsistent ways and leaves the team hanging when given the opportunity.

He's not the only one, but how the hell does this team get shutout back to back nights ??

You have starting pitchers that go out on consecutive nights and give up a combined 3 runs and we can't get a win ??

F*CKING RIDICULOUS !!!

The situational hitting is, and has been for a few years, absolutely terrible. Bases loaded and 1 out and hitters are trying to swing for the fences. Hitters can't go the other way, exceptions being Hernandez and Hannigan. Everything is all or nothing with the approach and lately it's been nothing, i.e. strike outs. Teams that approach hitting this way are bound to be streaky.

The coaching has to take a huge share of the blame for this. Jacoby simply is not preparing the players for the at bats each night and more importantly isn't helping them adjust. Time for him to go.

I was calling for Jacoby to be shown the door since the season before last.

Sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't, but last season doesn't erase the general problems this team faces from a hitting standpoint.

It really is ridiculous to see your leadoff hitting get aboard or get runners in scoring position and then zip, nada, nothing.

I was calling for Jacoby to be shown the door since the season before last.

I was too. Before last year. However, the team hit well in spurts and it was enough to keep him, and Dusty for that matter, on the staff. This team last year had 1 absolutely hot month where they hit the snot out of the ball and won several games. The other months they were bad to average. August was the ONLY month they were outstanding.

Then the playoffs came. We saw what happened. Even before that the holes in the lineup were being exposed. Rolen fell off the earth after the ASG. Gomes fell off the earth after the ASG. SS was never addressed. Bruce was streaky all season. The starting pitching was average at best.

Then came this season. After all the warning signs this team made no changes except for adding Lewis and Renteria. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

And here we are...