Jerome Simpson Our Next WR1?

Jerome Simpson is the #1 WR, period. Chad better be done here, and even if he's here I think most sane observers would agree that he's not a #1 anymore. Furthermore, #1 WRs aren't easily gettable (consider the embezzlement firm of Coles, Bryant, and Owens).

So like it or not, Mr. Simpson is your #1 receiver who will catch passes from a QB who is not currently on the team, whom he will probably meet in September after the lockout ends. God help us all.

Welcome.

I'm not very interested in debating whether Simpson would be a true #1 WR. Suffice to say that I was pimping Simpson when others were calling for his release, yet still....I do see the need for more WR help. So much so that I've consistently supported the idea of AJ Green at 4th overall.

I'd take ALMOST everything Marvin Lewis has said recently about the WR position with a grain of salt, from his suddenly discovered love for Simpson to the smoke he just belched about Julio Jones and AJ Green. However, the one thing that Lewis did say that got my attention was the nugget about this team still having plans that include Chad "Sucks@2Sports" Ochocinco. As I've said ad nauseum, if you can imagine Chad still being a part of this football team then there's no pressing need for WR help. But if the opposite is true, if the thought of another season of Ocho makes your poop turn watery, then the need for additional WR help is easy to spot.

Speaking of Ocho's MLS tryout there was this from my moring paper.

"If he makes it, this means vuvuzelas will be only the second-most annoying thing at a soccer match." --- Brad Dickson, Omaha World-Herald

I still think Chad will be gone this season and am hopeful of the 2nd round compensation Hair thinks is still likely.

Heck, my new Bengals mock will include that 2nd rounder when they trade Chad.

That being said, Simpson isn't our #1 because Chad is still on the roster and if they trade him, Simpson will be the #1 right up until they draft AJ Green at #4. Just like with Carson, we need to CBA to get done sooner rather than later to be rid of Chad.

And just because I haven't said it in a while:

F*CK YOU CHAD !!!

F*CK YOU CHAD !!!

Thank god, I was starting to worry

Well, I would hate to have someone think I was softening my stance.

That bitch needs to go.

Still the best player we have... If Jerome's our #1, we're gonna be in for another long season.

F*CK YOU CHAD !!!

Thank god, I was starting to worry

Well, I would hate to have someone think I was softening my stance.

That bitch needs to go.

Still the best player we have... If Jerome's our #1, we're gonna be in for another long season.

All my hate aside, thinking a 33 year old WR is the best player on the team is comical.

What does that say about the other players on our team ??

Anyway, congrats goes out to TJ for his 5000th post milestone !!!

You ain't trashing nobody dude, you're a joke with no life... You tell me who's the best player on the team. Benson? Hall? Joseph? Peko lol?? Cause the last time I checked Army and TJerkoff - THE BENGALS HAD 0 PLAYERS IN THE PRO BOWL. ZERO!!!

There's only a few members on these boards that I enjoy reading, all the others are pure comedy.

I'm lmao at the fact that this team is in such bad state. Their garbage because we have garbage leaders, garbage fans, and garbage politicians. Until Marvin grows a set, we'lll continue to lose.

I'm just happy I live in Butler Co. and do have to pay taxes on PBS. It's robbery.

I'm lmao at the fact that this team is in such bad state. Their garbage because we have garbage leaders, garbage fans, and garbage politicians. Until Marvin grows a set, we'lll continue to lose.

I'd love to argue, but......the Palmer mess prevents me from doing so.

It's funny but a week or so ago I stumbled over a thread on GoBengals that asked whether the Bengals were rebuilding or retooling. My first impression? They currently don't qualify as either. Instead, I'd say they're stuck in full teardown mode. Rebuilding will come later...if it comes at all.

You ain't trashing nobody dude, you're a joke with no life... You tell me who's the best player on the team. Benson? Hall? Joseph? Peko lol?? Cause the last time I checked Army and TJerkoff - THE BENGALS HAD 0 PLAYERS IN THE PRO BOWL. ZERO!!!

There's only a few members on these boards that I enjoy reading, all the others are pure comedy.

I'm just happy I live in Butler Co. and do have to pay taxes on PBS. It's robbery.

I really don't get your direction with me here. I made a comment in relation to your statement and you go on about pro bowl players.

Last time I checked, the fans don't dictate sh*t to what happens on or off the field, so I don't get that either.

If someone wants to blame Palmer's actions on the stupidity of such a small select few who trashed his yard, then whatever but that's weak.

I suppose if you are making the claim of Chad being the best player on the team in 2010 (831 yards with 4 TD's), I still don't get it.

If you are looking at the impact said player makes on the team, both Whitworth and Dunlap had larger impacts.

Hell, the veteran leadership Whitworth brings to the team is worth more than Chad's 831 yards.

If you are basing it on his career as a Bengal, then I would say Chad Johnson left the building years ago.

I really liked that guy though. You remember, the guy the guy that actually gave a sh*t ??

I'd love to argue, but......the Palmer mess prevents me from doing so.

It's funny but a week or so ago I stumbled over a thread on GoBengals that asked whether the Bengals were rebuilding or retooling. My first impression? They currently don't qualify as either. Instead, I'd say they're stuck in full teardown mode. Rebuilding will come later...if it comes at all.

Agreed. But the reason I say we have garbage fans is because we continue to watch and support these clowns (head office).... full and complete teardown mode.

I really don't get your direction with me here. I made a comment in relation to your statement and you go on about pro bowl players.

Last time I checked, the fans don't dictate sh*t to what happens on or off the field, so I don't get that either.

If someone wants to blame Palmer's actions on the stupidity of such a small select few who trashed his yard, then whatever but that's weak.

I suppose if you are making the claim of Chad being the best player on the team in 2010 (831 yards with 4 TD's), I still don't get it.

If you are looking at the impact said player makes on the team, both Whitworth and Dunlap had larger impacts.

Hell, the veteran leadership Whitworth brings to the team is worth more than Chad's 831 yards.

If you are basing it on his career as a Bengal, then I would say Chad Johnson left the building years ago.

I really liked that guy though. You remember, the guy the guy that actually gave a sh*t ??

Well played Army.. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts for the record.

Chad has the most talent. Whitworth is right there with him. Unless there's a Pro-Bowler in 2011 then I would say Chad's not the best on the team. But there wasn't. So, that's still my opinion.

Yeah man, the fans here suck. The Bengals have sucked for so long that it's just become a viscous cycle.

I didn't read anything about people trashing Palmers yard, but that is a VERY good example of my opinion of our fans.

I think Jerome's a freak. I would love for the Bengals to get him in the game this year as a starter. I think Ocho's biggest problem is Palmer, he's just done and I'm glad to hear that he will be out after the CBA get's sorted out.

Chad has the most talent. Whitworth is right there with him. Unless there's a Pro-Bowler in 2011 then I would say Chad's not the best on the team. But there wasn't. So, that's still my opinion.

Yeah man, the fans here suck. The Bengals have sucked for so long that it's just become a viscous cycle.

I didn't read anything about people trashing Palmers yard, but that is a VERY good example of my opinion of our fans.

I think Jerome's a freak. I would love for the Bengals to get him in the game this year as a starter. I think Ocho's biggest problem is Palmer, he's just done and I'm glad to hear that he will be out after the CBA get's sorted out.

Cool, but in regards to the highlighted and bolded section of your post above, I will simply take the other side of the argument.

That being, I think Palmer's biggest problem is Chad.

Sure I acknowledge that I hate the player that Chad has become, although he was one of my favorites at one time, but I feel the same of Palmer now. He was one of my favorites and he is in full bitch mode now. When I look at what the two of them should have become, I shake my head, but my gut feeling is, Chad gave up on this team long before Palmer did. I also think Palmer could go to a handful of teams and lead them to the playoffs next season. Chad ?? Maybe he can still be productive, but he will take all the issues people have with "his play" along with him to the next team.

Cool, but in regards to the highlighted and bolded section of your post above, I will simply take the other side of the argument.

That being, I think Palmer's biggest problem is Chad.

Sure I acknowledge that I hate the player that Chad has become, although he was one of my favorites at one time, but I feel the same of Palmer now. He was one of my favorites and he is in full bitch mode now. When I look at what the two of them should have become, I shake my head, but my gut feeling is, Chad gave up on this team long before Palmer did. I also think Palmer could go to a handful of teams and lead them to the playoffs next season. Chad ?? Maybe he can still be productive, but he will take all the issues people have with "his play" along with him to the next team.

Fair enough. I guess time will tell. I still think Palmer is done and will stick to my opinion that he's BEEN done since '05. He won't do anything with a team unless there is 1. Great Coaching. 2. Stellar Defense. 3. HUGE playmaker ability around him on offense. Palmer will not LEAD any team to the playoffs. He may be able to step in and play a role, he's a smart QB. His ability is shot. He will never be the same.

You say Palmer has been done since '05, but in '06 and '07 he had back to back 4000 yard passing seasons and 54 TD's.

Even last year with his uncanny ability to throw the pick 6, he was 30 yards shy of 4000 yards again with 26 TD's.

If the argument is that Brat was the biggest reason that the offense sputtered and Palmer is in fact DONE, then how can you explain how he has managed to post those kinds of numbers ?? Lets also not forget we are talking about him playing behind a patchwork o-line that has allowed him to be sacked 33 times in the last two seasons.

Again, he may have had some issues the past few seasons, but given the right situation, he could still be a VERY productive quarterback in this league. Can you envision what he could do with a better than average o-line, running game, and WR's that didn't ad lib their routes and quit on him ??

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I f*cking hate what Palmer is doing right now, but to deny he has the ability to play is a little off. I won't go into his leadership abilities, because I believe that is different than his on field production, but he's lacking in that department as well.

On a side note:

No other Bengals QB has ever passed for 4000 yards in a season.

You say Palmer has been done since '05, but in '06 and '07 he had back to back 4000 yard passing seasons and 54 TD's.

Even last year with his uncanny ability to throw the pick 6, he was 30 yards shy of 4000 yards again with 26 TD's.

If the argument is that Brat was the biggest reason that the offense sputtered and Palmer is in fact DONE, then how can you explain how he has managed to post those kinds of numbers ?? Lets also not forget we are talking about him playing behind a patchwork o-line that has allowed him to be sacked 33 times in the last two seasons.

Again, he may have had some issues the past few seasons, but given the right situation, he could still be a VERY productive quarterback in this league. Can you envision what he could do with a better than average o-line, running game, and WR's that didn't ad lib their routes and quit on him ??

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I f*cking hate what Palmer is doing right now, but to deny he has the ability to play is a little off. I won't go into his leadership abilities, because I believe that is different than his on field production, but he's lacking in that department as well.

On a side note:

No other Bengals QB has ever passed for 4000 yards in a season.

Run all the numbers you want. Palmer was 6th overall in 2006 (QB Rating). In 2007 he was ranked 14th. He was 19th in QB Rating in 2010. Palmer has been on a steady decline since the injury. He's done. His full potential is shot. He will never be the same. Bratkowski was a huge part of the problem. I still think Palmer can play. But I do not think he can win (SB).

I hate working in absolutes, as you have mentioned here, but have a question concerning your last response.

Is he done or can he still play ?? You mentioned both.

Likewise on the numbers to you, take away T.O.'s modest numbers from last year and what do you have ??

What did he bring ?? Where was the impact ??

ALL T.O. BROUGHT WAS NUMBERS.

You can't have it one way for a player you like, but not for another you dislike.

I'm not willing to discount the stats T.O. had last year, just like I'm not willing to discount Palmer's near 4000 yard season in an offense ran by a guy you claim was the biggest problem. Palmer had other issues indeed, but 4000 yards has only been done twice in ALL BENGALS HISTORY. Both times by Palmer and was 30 yards shy again last year. Hardly sounds like a QB who is "done".

And why is it, other QB's just need some work on mechanics or a change of scenery, but Palmer is simply done ??

I call bullsh*t on that whole concept. If Dilfer can win a Superbowl in the right scenario, so can Palmer.

Hell, Roethlisburger had the worst QB rating for a Super Bowl QB and still won.

Just saying.

Oh lord, another moron has joined us

I'm not going to bother naming all the other non-kicker tags this team has placed. When someone says something moronic like that, facts and reason are lost on them

That's not even close to being the most ridiculous thing about the post.

His complaint is that MB won't place the franchise tag on Jerome Simpson. Jerome Simpson being paid top 5 WR money. Let that sink in for a minute. Jerome Simpson.

I've defended Simpson more than most... but a franchise tag? Jerome Simpson?

That's like complaining that he didn't franchise Tab Perry or Kaesviharn... except that they did far more than Simpson to earn it.

Jerome Simpson?

Simpson is a FA next year. If he has a good season you can bet a contender will sign him. Mike Brown only tags kickers so he won't be tagged.

We let T.J.walk and he was a better receiver than a guy who it took 3 years to learn the playbook. We didn't tag JJo so he will walk unless Mikey opens the purse strings which is highly unlikely. Who else have we tagged under Mike Brown? Andrews and J. Smith. Where are they now? Greener pastures? Also if we tag Jerome he is going to make a 1 year tender of 9.5 million +. If JJo isn't worth it then neitheris Simpson.