Personality driven management, J. Tamme, etc.

rwjcgc

Bengaldom is plagued by system wide errors in management style. The teams is going down the wrong road using personality driven management.

Player selection, coaching, play calling and probably every other facet is run this way. Instead of a systematic approach in acquiring/coaching

players to do what they need/want, they are constantly trying to find superstars that are able things on their own accord (improvise) to do winning plays.

This system can work occasionally if the stars align and their efforts achieve some kind of synchronicity on the field. But more often little problems

kick up, the players can't identify solutions and everything falls apart. This is evident by the constant complaint of Carson and his receivers that they

are reading defense coverages differently resulting in blown plays. (I think Carson's skills have diminished and I also think that it is partially due to

something akin "shell shock". The amount of losing has worn down his will to win and he is now content to lose games and make excuses.)

A systematic approach would give results more like seen with the Colts with TE J. Tamme or WR B. White. If either was on the Bengals,

they would most likely never be ready to step in if the players in front of them got injured and contribute meaningfully. Neither are

exceptional athletes, but somehow they both have managed to perform well in games when called upon. If not one

of the team "superstars", the Bengal coaches deem you unworthy to contribute and you get ignored and never given much of a chance.

But on the Colts, they have a systematic approach which allows for a "plug and play" for players. I think they run more set plays

and rely less on the improvisation skills of the receivers. I think most of the good teams are run more in this style. If an opening

occurs due to injury or other circumstance, their back-up players are ready to step in and play at an acceptable level. If you bring

in a Bengal bench jockey, they are seldom ready to play well.

I wonder how the mgmt justifies having Jerome Simpson on the roster for 3 years and unable to ever get on the field. You have wonder about Jermome's

psyche after being on this team so long and never getting out there. I'm sure his excellent salary dulls the pain though.

Side point: You can't win with Ocho and TO. They are great athletes but also divas that play soft. They are unwilling to do the things necessary

to win games. Both try to avoid contact if at all possible. With a mediocre offensive line, you can't run well without WRs assisting

in the blocking. Sure they are capable of highlight reel plays, but neither give a consistent enough effort to allow their retention.

Their attitude (me first) is catching and they tend to bring the team down around them.

Bengaldom is plagued by system wide errors in management style.

Very common in companies using a nepotism based hierarchy for management. You never get the best person for the job, you only get the next family member in line, and don't forget Paul Brown started it all by selecting Mikie as his heir.

Offensively speaking. If you have a Hall of Fame QB like Manning or Brady, it makes it easier to plug and play with whomever you have.

Also need a good playcaller. We dont have the QB or playcaller or Oline right now. I would love to have a workman offense. We are 3-6 years away from that it feels. We need a smart grounded QB that is a strong, vocal leader.

But what you speak of is how a team stays good, year in and year out.

Offensively speaking. If you have a Hall of Fame QB like Manning or Brady, it makes it easier to plug and play with whomever you have.

I used to think we had that type of talent at QB. Obviously I was mistaken.

I used to think we had that type of talent at QB. Obviously I was mistaken.

I think we did at one point but we will never know if foregoing the elbow operation permanently affected Carson physically and obviously mentally.

Also need a good playcaller. We dont have the QB or playcaller or Oline right now. I would love to have a workman offense. We are 3-6 years away from that it feels. We need a smart grounded QB that is a strong, vocal leader.

But what you speak of is how a team stays good, year in and year out.

For that matter, I don't think Manning would be half the QB for the Bengals that he is now on the Colts. I really don't. The Colts run a class organization top to bottom and it has showed the last 12-13 years. The Bengals organization plays with their own agendas and their own set of standards. Winning is not one of those standards.

Very good points, which really gets me fired up. In that Buffalo game sure we had guys go down, but the back ups are supposed to be ready to come in and play. The secondary came out and looked so lost, its like they dont even practice during the week. That was so embarresing to watch, when you have Fitz throwing like that on you, a QB that was in your system for how long? This team starters are not ready to play, hell there backups are even worse. Poor coaching if you ask me!

Prior to the recent Colt-Patriot game there was plenty of analysis comparing the two QB's. Of particular interest to me was the claim that Manning is still capable of producing now, after losing most of his proven weapons, specifically because the Colts use less motion and pre-snap movement than any team in the NFL. That alone results in young players being able to produce immediately without the flood of penalties that typically come whenever new players are introduced.

Furthermore, Manning plays in a system that requires the QB to read the entire defense before and after the snap rather than one where presnap reads dictates which play will be called as well as which half of the field will be targeted. In short, Manning is just as likely to target a receiver who has a matchup advantage despite coverage being rolled his way. In the Bengals scheme pre-snap reads and rolling coverage dictates where the ball is supposed to go and an uncovered WR on the opposite side is unlikely to be spotted by the QB even if his primary and secondary options are covered. Instead, he's asked to checkdown or throw the ball away quickly because the O-line isn't consistently capable of providing the time needed.