B. Williams close to signing

walzav29

Because I'm being a lazy ass, does anyone recall where Smiley ranked on that super cool write up about o-linemen not long ago ??

I think there was a thread about it, but like I said, I'm feeling lazy. Something else is, what does it say when you are let go due to signing Incognito ??

First, a quick reminder about how the rankings were based soley on pass blocking. Second, an additional reminder that while all blockers were ranked only the ten best and ten worst are listed. And thus, neither Bobbie Williams or Justin Smiley were included since both would be considered average players.

But the article did include this....

"One of the most interesting things about the rankings for guards and centers is who ended up with the best rankings. The top three, most noticeably, are players who were backups for their team and only got their chance through injury. Quinn Ojinnaka is not the mauler that Harvey Dahl is and lacks that nasty streak, but in the 200 snaps he had in pass protection he gave up two hits and one sack, compared to Dahl's three sacks, one hit and 11 pressures on twice as many snaps. In similar fashion, Dolphins guard Nate Garner ranked high with one sack, two hits and two pressures given up. He played at both guard positions and was more efficient than either of Miami's starting guards, who ended up with ratings of 2.63 (Justin Smiley) and 3.82 (Donald Thomas) compared to Garner's 1.49.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deal, or no deal?

PFT says that Adam Schefter twittered that the Bengals reached a deal with Bobbie... then updated that Bobbie's agent says they are still in talks. Who knows? But it looks like a deal is coming soon.

On espn shefter said they reached a deal,.. Now go for reggie...

Sweet, time for reggies 1 year deal!

I like Reggie, but can we work him out first? See how he's healed? Not just the medical clearance? Don't get me wrong, I would welcome him back with open arms, but I am concerned that he ruptured his achilles in a non-contact drill. I haven't heard 1 thing about his recovery. Anybody have any info on that?

Well it's not like it's going to cost much to resign the guy and just because hes signed doesn't mean he makes finale roster.

True, just curious though....Anybody heard anything about how his recovery has gone?

Well,.. I just remember the video a few months back... He said he felt very young for 33... He was recovering great. And he was excited for the team. And he was about ready to get back to work. And that was over two or 3 months ago. I think he'll be ready for camp. Also,.. Odom said he was much better, almost perfectly healthy. ( according to his facebook )

I'm good with it. I've got some problems with Bobbie's play of late, but overall he's been as solid as he is durable and I like the stability he provides.

It also continues to free up the Bengals options in the draft, allowing the Bengals to consider drafting nearly any player who tops their board regardless of position played.

It changes things because we'll already have 10 lineman that will make the active roster. They won't carry 11.

Is that so??so whos our RG behind Bobbie?? Do you consider Livings a lock? because he should be upgraded over because he was below avg when he played best

PS,Kooistra is a Brown last time i checked.

For anyone to think this o-line has it's starters "locked" up is fooling themselves.

Whit ?? Sure

Dre ?? Sure

Bobbie ?? Probably

Cook ?? Probably

LG ?? Stop kidding yourself

If they draft a Guard high, they have all the chances as the other guys (including Boobie) of earning a starting spot on this roster. Heck, even Luigs has a chance to challenge for the Center spot. I think that's less likely, but you get my point.

For anyone to think this o-line has it's starters "locked" up is fooling themselves.

Whit ?? Sure

Dre ?? Sure

Bobbie ?? Probably

Cook ?? Probably

If they draft a Guard high, they have all the chances as the other guys (including Boobie) of earning a starting spot on this roster. Heck, even Luigs has a chance to challenge for the Center spot. I think that's less likely, but you get my point.

Agree with the notion that our line isn't "locked-up", but think Bobbie's spot is more vulnerable than you indicate.

Here's a wacky thought -- what if there's a LT that's BPA in Rd 1 or 2? There are a lot of prospects out there this year so it could happen. A lot of people, myself included, have in the past thought of Whit as a superior LG, (although he obviously played well at LT last year as well). What would you think of drafting a LT if they are BPA, with an eye toward possibly moving Whit inside next year?

Whit ?? Sure

Dre ?? Sure

Bobbie ?? Probably

Cook ?? Probably

Agree with the notion that our line isn't "locked-up", but think Bobbie's spot is more vulnerable than you indicate.

Here's a wacky thought -- what if there's a LT that's BPA in Rd 1 or 2? There are a lot of prospects out there this year so it could happen. A lot of people, myself included, have in the past thought of Whit as a superior LG, (although he obviously played well at LT last year as well). What would you think of drafting a LT if they are BPA, with an eye toward possibly moving Whit inside next year?

Well, to be fair, I did say (Including Bobbie) even though I spelled it "Boobie". That must have thrown you off. Easy mistake...

:lol:

It changes things because we'll already have 10 lineman that will make the active roster. They won't carry 11.

Is that so??so whos our RG behind Bobbie?? Do you consider Livings a lock? because he should be upgraded over because he was below avg when he played best

Things have changed since that post because I was figuring Shirley to make the active roster this year. Alexander was lobbying for Shirley to make the roster last season and I am almost positive that Shirley would have shown the necessary improvement to make the roster, but now that he is hurt, things are different. I'm still not sure they draft a guard because they still have nine O-lineman and half of the teams in the NFL only carry eight. Plus, I don't think they'll be ready to cut Jerome Simpson, so if we draft a wide receiver we may actually keep seven WRs on the roster this season.

Things have changed since that post because I was figuring Shirley to make the active roster this year. Alexander was lobbying for Shirley to make the roster last season and I am almost positive that Shirley would have shown the necessary improvement to make the roster, but now that he is hurt, things are different. I'm still not sure they draft a guard because they still have nine O-lineman and half of the teams in the NFL only carry eight. Plus, I don't think they'll be ready to cut Jerome Simpson, so if we draft a wide receiver we may actually keep seven WRs on the roster this season.

If Simpson cannot get going this spring/pre-season, then he needs to be cut. He is taking a valuable roster spot that could go to another CB, Safety, or DE/DT.

I encouraged patience with Simpson. He did not look terrible in the pre-season games when he was targeted but there is clearly something he is not doing right to be able to dress on Sundays, especially considering the issues in the pass game last year.