Charlie Weis

Kazkal

So I was watching the Hoopla and noticed they said Weis had 5-6 years left on his contract...Does Norte Dame only have to pay him the following year? Or does he get the entire balance of the contract?was never sure with coaches...Seems crazy to have given a unproven HC that long of a contract in the first place.

Notre Dame didn't give him that huge contract right away. They waited until either partway through his first year of after his first year, I can't remember which. They had a good year, and Weiss' agent played them, they gave him some huge extension with a 12 million buyout, at least that's the number I heard. That place was obviously run by amateurs then. Hopefully they'll do a better job this time, college football is just more fun when Notre Dame is competitive. They're on the tube so much, it would be nice if those were good games.

A little off-topic, but does anyone know why Charlie Weiss is still so large? He had laproscopy or some such stomach reducing surgery. He almost died from complications, then he sued the doctors, went to trial and lost. But the surgery was ultimately successful, I believe. Can't figure out why he's still such a big guy.

I think by the end, he was ready to get fired and collect his buyout. He acted like he knew it wasn't working, and was just tired of the losing.

Notre Dame didn't give him that huge contract right away. They waited until either partway through his first year of after his first year, I can't remember which. They had a good year, and Weiss' agent played them, they gave him some huge extension with a 12 million buyout, at least that's the number I heard. That place was obviously run by amateurs then. Hopefully they'll do a better job this time, college football is just more fun when Notre Dame is competitive. They're on the tube so much, it would be nice if those were good games.

A little off-topic, but does anyone know why Charlie Weiss is still so large? He had laproscopy or some such stomach reducing surgery. He almost died from complications, then he sued the doctors, went to trial and lost. But the surgery was ultimately successful, I believe. Can't figure out why he's still such a big guy.

I think by the end, he was ready to get fired and collect his buyout. He acted like he knew it wasn't working, and was just tired of the losing.

He was a lot thinner after surgery. I remember his press conference at ND when he was appointed. Still a chubby guy but not morbidly obese. I dunno, I guess the guy has zero will power or personal discipline or he has a lot of self-hate to eat his way through. Nobody should be surprised he couldn't be an effective head coach (Not to mention his offenses were never anything better above average in their good yrs).

Notre Dame didn't give him that huge contract right away. They waited until either partway through his first year of after his first year, I can't remember which. They had a good year, and Weiss' agent played them, they gave him some huge extension with a 12 million buyout, at least that's the number I heard.

Yeah, I believe it was after his first year, they basically tore up his old contract and signed him to a 10 year deal. They still owe him $18 mill. I dont remember hearing anything about a buy-ouy clause, as those are usually negotiated between the 2 parties afterwards.

Depending on the exact contract details, Notre Dame I believe will be on the hook for the entire $18 million, unless he were to get hired somewhere else. If he gets paid more than the $3 million per year he was getting from the Irish, I believe they would be off-the hook. however if he were to get a job for say $1.5 million per, Notre Dame would have to cover the other $1.5 million.

It all depends on what the exact contract terms state.

That said, Charlie should just sit on his fat a$$ and collect his checks while sitting on the couch eating twinkies and ho-ho's.