We are still the 2 seed in the AFC

BlainThePain

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/11/24/1124-scott-flex-scheduling-and-second-seeds/

HOW ARE THEY SECOND IN THE AFC? Even though the Bengals, Chargers and Patriots all have 7-3 records, the Bengals are the second seed based on the fifth tiebreaker known as Strength of Victory. This is something that I tweeted on Sunday night but was unable to go into further due to deadlines. Lo and behold, Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan has put it into clarity better than I would.

This week’s release details the breakdown as such. Here’s how the tiebreaker scenario would play out, going from Nos. 1-5, if the regular season had ended last week:

* Division tiebreakers would not eliminate any of the three, since all three are in different divisions.

* Head-to-head sweep will not apply, since none of the three teams play each of the other two.

* Conference records are currently tied, as each of the three teams are 5-3 in the AFC.

* Best record in common games will not apply, because the minimum requirement of four teams having played each of the three contenders will not be met.

* In Strength of Victory, which means the aggregate record of all the teams each club has defeated. the Bengals as of this week would prevail by one game over San Diego. Cincinnati currently has beaten teams with an aggregate 33-37 record. San Diego’s wins have come against clubs which presently are 32-38. New England’s wins have come against teams with a 27-43 mark.

divisional record, common opponent and head to head will be what decides it, should the records all be equal.

If Cincy is 6-0 in their division, and ends up beating SD, this would give them the best case scenario, again, should the records remain equal (say 11-5 or 12-4)

Cincinnati will get the bye if they only lose one more game and that loss comes against Minnesota or Detroit. Anything else puts them in a bind, I think (aside obviously from winning out). I'd be pretty surprised if New England or San Diego wins out. If the Pats knock off New Orleans they'll be more worrisome.

Ya and most time I don't mind away games but Patriots/Chargers would be the worst 2 teams to travel too IMO...Indy not so bad...

-Chargers 3rd West coast trip this season Ug...

-Patriots who wants to play the Patriots at their field? With their cheating they take homefield advantage to a new level.

The 7-3 Chargers remaining schedule,

Week 12 - KC @ SD

Week 13 - SD @ CLE

Week 14 - SD @ DAL

Week 15 - CIN @ SD

Week 16 - SD @ TEN

Week 17 - WAS @ SD

The 7-3 Patriots remaining schedule,

Week 12 - NE @ NO

Week 13 - NE @ MIA

Week 14 - CAR @ NE

Week 15 - NE @ BUF

Week 16 - JAC @ NE

Week 17 - NE @ HOU

The Chargers SHOULD be about 11-5 at best. And the Patriots should be 12-4 or 13-3. Lets go Saints and Chiefs!

Just my opinion, but I think the Pats are going to win out. The Bengals will lose one more game at some point, giving them a 4th loss, and the last game of the season will be meaningless, because the division will be wrapped up, but they won't have a shot at a bye week. The Bengals will use week 17 as their bye week to finish 11-5 (just like '05).

Hope the Pats lost a couple more giving the Bengals a better shot at that 2nd seed, but I just don't see it happening. They a playing really well right now, and frankly, they scare me more than any other team in the NFL.

We can't afford to lose any more games against AFC opponents. Like I pointed out, we are still winless against AFC teams outside the division. You guys jumped all over me sayint it doesn't matter...that all wins count the same. I'm sorry, but when it comes down to seeding in the playoffs and tie-breakers and possibly getting a bye or home field games, those games are big.

We can't afford to lose any more games against AFC opponents. Like I pointed out, we are still winless against AFC teams outside the division. You guys jumped all over me sayint it doesn't matter...that all wins count the same. I'm sorry, but when it comes down to seeding in the playoffs and tie-breakers and possibly getting a bye or home field games, those games are big.

Much as I hate to agree with the usually-moronic ravings of JoeWrong, he's JoeRight here - some games are simply more important than others

The San Diego game will be a huge measuring stick - road game against a quality conference opponent who we might well see again in the playoffs

Much as I hate to agree with the usually-moronic ravings of JoeWrong, he's JoeRight here - some games are simply more important than others

The San Diego game will be a huge measuring stick - road game against a quality conference opponent who we might well see again in the playoffs

What he said ^.

Unfortunately I agree as well. But no one ever disagreed with that premise in the first place. Yes AFC games are important for tie breakers. But what he's been saying is that the Bengals are somehow unable to beat non-AFCN AFC opponents. A premise that is, well... stupid.