Have we ever been #2 against the run?

walzav29

Some of the other old timers can chime in but I don't think we've had a group as solid as this since the early to mid 70's with guys like Mike Reid, Sherm White, Royce Berry, Bill Bergey, Tommy Casanova, Ken Riley, Lamar Parrish.

From the press guide:

Fewest points allowed per gave avg.

1. 15.0-1976

2. 16.4-1972

3. 16.5-1973

4. 16.8-1977

5. 17.6-1975

Thru 8 games we are at 16.9 per game.

Top 5 in pts allowed too. Wahey. We haven't had an easy opening half of the season either. Let the doubters and jokers keep on with Bungles shtick. All they see is the jersey and are stuck living in the past.

This is different to 2005 even. This is being built on good defense and that kind of attitude and play lasts more than one perfect storm of a season. This D, whilst getting turnovers, does not live and die by them. They're an added bonus. Add in an older and wiser Carson and yep, I'm looking forward to reading the Ravens boards next yr already.

This is uncharted territory for me as a Bengal fan. I used to hate getting ran on all of the time. This is just great! Do any of you remember being #2 vs the run. this far into the season?

In 1982 (Strike season) we were 3rd with 94.4 yds per game.
/>http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=1982&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go

In 1983 we were first in total defense.

1st in total yds

3rd in passing

2nd in rushing
/>http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=1983&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go

I don't know, our defense looked like #2 against the run for about 20 years. Oh, you mean *ranked second*? Wow. My, that is impressive! ;)

In all seriousness, I have to agree with Pidge. This isn't like 2005 where they'd give up a ton of yards and pray for the picks to fall. They're just flat beating teams. I'm very impressed with this defense - I thought they had a chance to be pretty good, but sheesh.

I don't know, our defense looked like #2 against the run for about 20 years. Oh, you mean *ranked second*? Wow. My, that is impressive! ;)

In all seriousness, I have to agree with Pidge. This isn't like 2005 where they'd give up a ton of yards and pray for the picks to fall. They're just flat beating teams. I'm very impressed with this defense - I thought they had a chance to be pretty good, but sheesh.

Agreed. Living off turnovers will only get you so far. This D will just outright stonewall you.

Can my boy JJoe get some love off of that amazing INT? Going up and over Mark Clayton! :o

They finally have a D Cordinator that can coach and actually has a game plan. They are playing great against the run right now, teams dont seem to run as much against them.

I love how they keep teams out of the endzone, i think that is the best thing about this team

If they can stop the big plays (which they have the last couple of games), they can be a top 10 defense at the end of the year. Wow against Baltimore they were just amazing.

I think this week will tell us how far they have come, lets see how good do they do against Ben and the steelers offense, if they shut them down pretty much then look out!