Coats -vs- Coffman

Baghdad_bengal

how does anyone know coats is better? you don't in fact you won't know until coffman plays. i think coffman would be a pleasant surprise if he played. coffman is huge his is 6-6 a hell of a target. you don't have to s**t can coats in the process. bring the kid in on obvious passing downs and see what happen. you drafted this kid in the 3rd rd lets see what he got. what do you have to lose? a completion, a td, i think coats has done enough of that.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody try and defend him anymore, just don't. It's shy-making.

Sheesh, I have no desire to continue defending Coats. In facts, I was the first guy here who said Coats wasn't a legit NFL player. I said it years ago and I've repeated it often since then. But you guys know how we got here, and you know what options remain, and I'm telling you none of those options include an outright release of the starting TE until Coffman is ready to play major minutes.

So until further developements I'll take me some stone hands over a rookie crash test dummy. And if that sort of weak praise can be called defending Coats...then that's what I'll continue to do.

I agree largely. We're past the point about talking about the TE position and whether or not Coffman is ready to go though. Coats is useless as far as that goes. In fact, he's thrown the 'useless' label off and become a downright liability when it comes to a receiving threat. So, what does a TE do other than catch the occasional pass. Block, right? I think Pressley could block, or at least run into some people in an uncoordinated manner. Let Jeremi/Leonard/someone, anyone else but Coats try and catch the ball instead. They just might occasionally catch one.

There are other options, and while they're not perfect, neither is Stone Hands Coats. They might just be a helluva lot more effective too.

Nobody try and defend him anymore, just don't. It's shy-making.

Sheesh, I have no desire to continue defending Coats. In facts, I was the first guy here who said Coats wasn't a legit NFL player. I said it years ago and I've repeated it often since then. But you guys know how we got here, and you know what options remain, and I'm telling you none of those options include an outright release of the starting TE until Coffman is ready to play major minutes.

So until further developements I'll take me some stone hands over a rookie crash test dummy. And if that sort of weak praise can be called defending Coats...then that's what I'll continue to do.

I agree largely. We're past the point about talking about the TE position and whether or not Coffman is ready to go though. Coats is useless as far as that goes. In fact, he's thrown the 'useless' label off and become a downright liability when it comes to a receiving threat. So, what does a TE do other than catch the occasional pass. Block, right? I think Pressley could block, or at least run into some people in an uncoordinated manner. Let Jeremi/Leonard/someone, anyone else but Coats try and catch the ball instead. They just might occasionally catch one.

There are other options, and while they're not perfect, neither is Stone Hands Coats. They might just be a helluva lot more effective too.

also pidge with the way the bengals use o-lineman as te's, i think that makes the blocking issue not really a issue. i have also seen jj slipping out to te on some plays also. i think we can make up for coats with out losing anything, maybe even improving the position. coats mistakes have been just huge, you can not rely on him at all.

also pidge with the way the bengals use o-lineman as te's, i think that makes the blocking issue not really a issue. i have also seen jj slipping out to te on some plays also. i think we can make up for coats with out losing anything, maybe even improving the position. coats mistakes have been just huge, you can not rely on him at all.

Agreed. As for the bolded part - exactly.

Agreed. As for the bolded part - exactly.

this makes me think of a time when they had Belichick mic'd up at a practice or training camp.

He watched a play and calmly blew the whistle in the middle. he approached a player, an O-lineman I think, and asked him his assignment. the guy tried to answer using their playcall lingo and detailed what he thoguht was his assignment. the coach shook his head and explained that he was mixed up and that until he got it right ever time, thee was simply no chance he would play. he explained that it was the most important thing and not knowing meant he was a liability and they could not have any liabilities on the field. everyone had to know their job and do it perfectly.

It is true, Coates is now a liability. there is a fine line between giving a player a chance to overcome mistakes and doing what is best for the team. they gave St. Louis as long of a rope as I could ever imagine. Should they give Coates more time, which it seems as if they are, it is setting him up to fail, as he surely cannot be perfect and the presure will be crushing.

how does anyone know coats is better? you don't in fact you won't know until coffman plays. i think coffman would be a pleasant surprise if he played. coffman is huge his is 6-6 a hell of a target. you don't have to s**t can coats in the process. bring the kid in on obvious passing downs and see what happen. you drafted this kid in the 3rd rd lets see what he got. what do you have to lose? a completion, a td, i think coats has done enough of that.

If Coffman is not better than Coats, then he would have to be pretty damn bad. I don't think he is at all. Indeed, it appears to me that Marvin& Co. are "babying" Coffman almost as much as Andre Smith. I don't think the Bengals are showing remarkable patience with Coats, I think they are showing remarkable patience and great care with Coffman-a guy they are very high on and expect to play at a very high level. With the noises coming out of PBS, I am now convinced that Coffman's time is well nigh...uh...I mean against Baltimore after the bye.

If Coffman is not better than Coats, then he would have to be pretty damn bad. I don't think he is at all.

Well, actual evidence indicates that Coffman is not ready. He may be ready as a receiver for all I know, but he is not ready as a special teams player or as a full-fledged TE -- and at least one of these must be true before he sees the field

When he is, I am certain he will play. And I look forward to that.

Does anyone else feel like Bernard Scott is the running back reincarnation of Jerome Simpson? They will not develop him for whatever reasons...

You're drifting into the agreen and joepong realm here

There is a big difference between the two

One has been active when not injured this year and has gotten some (albeit limited) playing time

One has been inactive whether healthy or not every single week

Do you know which one is which?

Whoa TJ...why do you have to take it there? I was simply pointing out the similarities! They both come from Division 2 schools and have to be develop by mentally challenged offensive coaches! I wasn't saying they were identical twins with identical situations!

If Coffman is not better than Coats, then he would have to be pretty damn bad. I don't think he is at all.

Well, actual evidence indicates that Coffman is not ready. He may be ready as a receiver for all I know, but he is not ready as a special teams player or as a full-fledged TE -- and at least one of these must be true before he sees the field

When he is, I am certain he will play. And I look forward to that.

I agree with blueridge that I believe the coaches are babying players!

I do not agree with you! You are drifting into agreen and joepong realm here! Your starting TE doesn't have to cover punts or kickoffs! I don't see Gates for San Diego or Dallas Clark of Indy covering punts! You don't have to have your starting TE play special teams other than blocking(standing there) on field goals and PAT's!

I agree with blueridge that I believe the coaches are babying players!

Open your eyes and turn on your brain

Coffman is not a starting TE - yet.

Hell, he hasn't even been activated yet

Starters do play special teams - I've seen Hall and Rivers on coverage teams, and in fact Rivers made a NICE open field tackle in special teams duty

Are you and Blueridge on the coaching staff? Do you have some special knowlege - facts, sir - you care to share, or do you also believe similarly that Elvis is alive and playing cards with Jimmy Hoffa this very moment?

Every bit of evidence we have says he is not ready to hit the field yet. The agreens and joepongs of the world are able to formulate opinions without regard for such trivialities as mere facts, and it appears you are forming a similar habit.

I do not agree with you!

Words cannot express how comforting it is to me to hear that YOU do not agree with me

Thank you, sir. God bless you.

Ok, I'm not gonna go back and forth bickering like a bitch on a gawd damn forum like someone I know...*cough* TJ

Anywho...my honest question is, why do you have so much faith in this coaching staff and there decision making?

Just b/c these coaches decide a player is not ready, doesn't mean they're right. This coaching staff has made bad decisions and judgements countless times over the years. Ex. they played Coats at FB last year and it blew up in their face and brought back the very guy they released a year earlier. They played Girlchick for years even though they knew he couldn't handle NT from the North. They drafted Chris Perry over Steven Jackson! But, you were probably on board with every one of those decisions... <_<

First of all, Marvin is saying he is all Hamilton County at practice meaning he is playing better than our other tight ends if thats what you want to call them! But he's not playing b/c of Special Teams and the returners we face! Hey, here's an idea buttwipe: Don't play him on Special Teams! Use those PoS's Coats and Foschi on teams! Gawd these kind of decisions make me wonder if another coach would make such a great player ride the pine!

Don't disagree with coach Supa. He's a highly paid professional and you are a paycheck to paycheck kind of guy. You have no business disagreeing with coach. lol

Its another week so we'll just end this thread on this Hair and TJ...

This would be a better team with Coffman running those routes and catching the balls instead of Coats dropping HUGE passes. That's the bottom line, period.

This is in no way a factual statement, there is no data to support Coffman doing any better than Coats at this point. He most likely would not have dropped so many balls, but he also may he gotten Benson or Palmer hurt by whiffing on a blitzing LB. I think losing 1 of those players may have an impact on the rst of the season, how about you? I will wait to make a judgement about Coffman being a better TE than is currently on the feild, until he has made the coaches believe in him enough to go out and make some plays.

This would be a better team with Coffman running those routes and catching the balls instead of Coats dropping HUGE passes. That's the bottom line, period.

This is in no way a factual statement, there is no data to support Coffman doing any better than Coats at this point. He most likely would not have dropped so many balls, but he also may he gotten Benson or Palmer hurt by whiffing on a blitzing LB. I think losing 1 of those players may have an impact on the rst of the season, how about you? I will wait to make a judgement about Coffman being a better TE than is currently on the feild, until he has made the coaches believe in him enough to go out and make some plays.

With all due respect REdBengalsBuck whatever the f**k you call yourself.. How is Coffman going to get someone hurt "whiffing on a blitz" while running a route?

Did you watch him in college? Preseason? The dudes hands are like a vacuum. Period.

You said it yourself; "He most likely would not have dropped so many balls."

Well Coats HAS dropped so many balls including huge first downs and TD's. Why are you defending him?

PUT COFFMAN IN THE GAME TO CATCH THOSE PASSSES! Why is that so hard to understand?

With all due respect REdBengalsBuck whatever the f**k you call yourself.. How is Coffman going to get someone hurt "whiffing on a blitz" while running a route?

Did you watch him in college? Preseason? The dudes hands are like a vacuum. Period.

You said it yourself; "He most likely would not have dropped so many balls."

Well Coats HAS dropped so many balls including huge first downs and TD's. Why are you defending him?

PUT COFFMAN IN THE GAME TO CATCH THOSE PASSSES! Why is that so hard to understand?

agreen_112 is the best screen name you could think of? and you make fun of mine. My name is guided by the teams I grew up watching and cheering on. So why dont you go jump in a lake with a 20 lb rock tied around your neck.

If you cant understand that a TE is more than a route runner, you sir are an idiot.

Dudes! Remain calm. All is well!

Seriously, ya both need to tone it down a little. You are both entitled to your opinions whether you agree with each other or not. Let's keep it from getting personal. After all you don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati. Or at least I think you do!

kevinbaconanimalhouse.jpg

From everything that Marvin has been saying, I get the impression that activating Coffman just to catch passes will screw up a whole lot of other packages. I don't know if Coats and Foschi do any special teams work but if they are then that causes some problems with manning these various units. Also, Coats goes in as a blocker and a receiver and having Coffman just be a receiver might tip their hand or cause substitution issues. Kelly Washington comes to mind and as does Chris Henry. One-dimensional players are a luxury at this level and having two (Henry and Coffman) active at the same time might be more than they can afford. Again, just my take on what the coach has said.

Hopefully Coffman can get his act together enough to begin contributing to this team real soon. We do need help at TE.

Dudes! Remain calm. All is well!

Seriously, ya both need to tone it down a little. You are both entitled to your opinions whether you agree with each other or not. Let's keep it from getting personal. After all you don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati. Or at least I think you do!

kevinbaconanimalhouse.jpg

From everything that Marvin has been saying, I get the impression that activating Coffman just to catch passes will screw up a whole lot of other packages. I don't know if Coats and Foschi do any special teams work but if they are then that causes some problems with manning these various units. Also, Coats goes in as a blocker and a receiver and having Coffman just be a receiver might tip their hand or cause substitution issues. Kelly Washington comes to mind and as does Chris Henry. One-dimensional players are a luxury at this level and having two (Henry and Coffman) active at the same time might be more than they can afford. Again, just my take on what the coach has said.

Hopefully Coffman can get his act together enough to begin contributing to this team real soon. We do need help at TE.

Exactly!

I didn't say starters don't play special teams, I said starting tight ends don't play a huge role covering punts and kickoffs.

IMO, Coffman should play over stone hands and a guy we didn't know until the last preseason. My facts are Coats leads the league in drops and Coffman is the all time recieving tight end in college football and was a Mackey Award winner!

Agreen and I are simply voicing our opinions on what this dumbass coaching staff should do and you guys are blinding agreeing with everything they do like your a Nazi or something! :lol: