Atta Boy Roy

HairOnFire

I just watched the Steeler game for a 2nd time yesterday, and I have to admit the first time around I missed the shot mentioned in this article where Williams delivers a pop to the biggest Ben right about the 3 yard line. To be fair it isn't a crushing blow, but it does send the Steeler QB flying ass over backwards, and serves as an example of the type of perfectly legal hit most Bengal defenders wouldn't have bothered throwing in the past....simply because Jonathan Joseph would have scored anyways. But Williams delivers the pop anyways, as if to say..."Here, have another one.....just because."

Bengals safety Roy Williams puttin' on the hits

By Carlos "Big C" Holmes | Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 08:25 PM

The Cincinnati Bengals defense hasn't had an enforcer in its secondary since David Fulcher wore the tiger stripes. But that all changed when safety Roy Williams joined the club. Three games into the season, Williams is making his presence felt on defense.

Not only is the hard-hitting safety knocking people out this season, but is proving to be no has-been, which some had suggested. There are those who view this season as a comeback year for Williams after missing 13 games in 2008.

Early on, Williams is looking every bit of the five-time Pro Bowl selection he once was in 2003 through 2007, and racking up the punishing hits.

In Week 1 against Denver, Williams welcomed Broncos rookie running back Knowshon Moreno into the league by knocking him silly. Moreno staggered off the field in a daze and spent most of the third quarter on the sideline after the hit.

The following week against Green Bay, Williams laid a wicked shot on Packers' tight end Donald Lee, who was left sprawled over the field and experienced some numbness in his arms. Williams hit Lee so hard the rest of his family may have felt it.

"Mama Said Knock You Out!"

Against Pittsburgh on Sunday, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger got a little taste of the safety's hitting ability while trying to make a tackle after throwing an interception. Granted, Roethlisberger didn't get rocked like Moreno and Lee, but he didn't enjoy the contact.

The Bengals acquired Williams in the offseason to improve the team's defense and so far he's living up to expectations. In fact, Williams' seek-and-destroy mentality fuels the defense. He leads the team in tackles with 23 and is ranked in the Top 30 among players in that category. All the talk about the player's ability to pass-cover seems to be an after thought. Williams brings veteran leadership and a winning attitude to the locker room.

Williams said after the game on Sunday that the defense is still learning, but is coming together quickly. He also said that he expects big things from the unit down the road.

The Bengals defense is on the rise in the NFL and currently ranked 16th overall.

Side note: Williams was limited in practice on Wednesday due to a sore forearm but is expected to be ready for Sunday's game.

I said when we brought him in for a workout b4 we signed him and said he is exactly what this defense needs! Then we sign him, and my dreams of the old Roy clockin dudes came to mind. But my friend who is a bandwagon Cowgirls fan, said he's washed up and horrible and pass coverage, blah blah blah...The dude is leading our team in tackles and knockouts...resign him now!!! :bengal:

First off i hope Roy is ok and can play Sunday, and hope the forarm isnt anything to worry about? So far Roy has been a man on fire, the whole defense for that matter has. I think they have come in here to prove they are still great players, and im happy there aboard, and hope they can resign him.

Only thing that bothers me about this team, is they are giving up way to many big plays i think they lead they NFL in that, and i hope Zimmer can get these guys to knock down all the big plays. Im not sure maybe its because they gamble alot, not sure. I hope this week they blitz like crazy and Roy can get his first Sack!!!!

I freely admit I bought into the whole he's worse than garbage in pass coverage spiel and hated the move, thought it was a waste of time. Someone then put up his stats and they painted a different story. Sure, he's not Paul Krause but then he's a strong safety. That, coupled with Zimmer's confidence in him, meant I decided to quit bitching and see what's what. I'm glad I did because as the stats suggested, he not an outright liability in coverage and is an excellent physical presence in the secondary. Or, in simpler terms, a pro bowl calibre SS.

Am i weird that all i can think when i see that pic is boy love your back is gonna hate you later in life. Nice tits though :)

Not in the least I've known several women who have gotten reductions because of back pain and ex who wanted to get a reduction because it was painful for her to go jogging etc...

Only thing that bothers me about this team, is they are giving up way to many big plays i think they lead they NFL in that, and i hope Zimmer can get these guys to knock down all the big plays. Im not sure maybe its because they gamble alot, not sure.

Several days ago I caught Rod Woodson "calling out" the Ravens defense for giving up more big plays (10+ yards) than any defense in the NFL save for one, the Bengals. Woodson admitted the stat was misleading due to how early it is in the season, but even moreso because of how often both teams blitz. That said, Woodson felt the Ravens were still giving up twice as many big plays as any blitz-happy defense should and I'd guess the same standard would be fair for the Bengals defense.

Last, this defense has plenty of new faces who are still trying to find their way. Perhaps they never do. But by the same token this group could be vastly improved by midseason.