O'Line Question

SupaBran

Now I know, we gotta give him time to come back and get back in shape and he still has catching up to do, so this may be a bit premature but, if/when he comes back, I’m asking if you agree with me or not in the fact that Whitworth is struggling and at best he’s a RT! Agree or Disagree?

I believe our O’Line would be best as:

LT: Collins (can Andre ever be our LT or is he supplanted at RT for the next 10

years, hopefully!)

LG: Whitworth (he is struggling at LT, with penalties and giving up sacks)

C: Cook (with his great play, will Luigs ever play?)

RG: Williams (great veteran but we need to draft someone next year to replace)

RT: Smith

I don’t wanna be negative, especially after a win but I just think this would be our best O’Line, with the best 5 guys on the field! I will say that they were dominating Green Bay running the ball, just man-handling them! Here’s to them doing that against the s**tzburgh Squeelers!

I would expect Smith to struggle with so little time getting up to speed with the offense (let alone the NFL). He'll be the best guy for the job eventually, but I don't think we're there yet.

I've seen people suggest the possibility of Smith playing TE as an extra blocker on the goal line. I'd be supportive of that.

I'm not sure why all the love for Collins at LT. Marvin announced Whit at the LT of the future long before any sort of Andre holdout. Whit won that job.

Whit is taking some heat for those holding penalties... but I went back and rewatched the game last night. One of the holding penalties I think they must have called the wrong number, because I kept rewinding it and couldn't see Whit do anything that was even borderline holding. Just saying.

I'm not sure why all the love for Collins at LT. Marvin announced Whit at the LT of the future long before any sort of Andre holdout. Whit won that job.

Whit is taking some heat for those holding penalties... but I went back and rewatched the game last night. One of the holding penalties I think they must have called the wrong number, because I kept rewinding it and couldn't see Whit do anything that was even borderline holding. Just saying.

You can’t deny he hasn’t played well!

You can’t deny he hasn’t played well!

I'm not really willing to concede that point just yet. I'll go home today and review the game again and watch his play specifically and let you know... but I don't remember him getting beat much yesterday. He had the two holding penalties... and at least one of them was bulls**t.

As for giving up sacks... this O-Line has given up 5 in two games. Not good... but far better than last year. Also... If I recall, Whit wasn't responsible for any of the sacks against Denver. Again, I'll have to review yesterday's game, but I won't be the least bit surprised if I find that the sacks were in large part a group effort because of lack of skill at the LG position helping him out.

In the one sack I do remember, yes, Whit got beat... but if I'm remembering correctly, Palmer would have easily been able to step up in the pocket and watched the defender overpursue if the RB hadn't missed his block so badly. When this O-Line gives up sacks, it never feels like just one guy getting beat. It usually looks like a jailbreak where the was a lack of communication and several missed assignments... that kind of thing. All that to say, I don't think Whit is the problem.

Would Collins at LT and Whit at LG be better? Not sure... but Collins didn't look good against Denver, and a few flashes his rookie season doesn't give me enough evidence that he's starting LT quality.

personally i think the refs had a hard on for the bengals, ed's crew always calls a ton of penalties on cincy. remember back when takeo was playing here. we was playing the jags and ed called the bengals for pi and then also added on a personal foul. i thought takeo was going to kill him. any ways some of the calls were total bs. then once ed's crew seen we where there to win all of the sudden the pack started getting all the penalties called on them. i know both teams were sloppy but to the tune of what 20 some penalties. blatant calls should be made but some of the calls were very minor and should not have been called. then other calls was just complete BS!

as for whit and the o-line, lets see 4 td's by palmer and a rb with 141 yards rushing and a road win. a very successful day for any o-line. this is what we have, the addition of andre is not going to all of the sudden make this line the nfl's best. having 4 new starter this o-line has played pretty well. it could be worse, we could have last seasons o-line.

You can't go shifting around an O-line in mid season. That's not a good way to go. Looking ahead to next year, I'd say the Bengals may very well be looking to draft a LT. In the meantime Whit will be fine. He's not a problem.

Personally I think whit has looked real solid. I noticed a couple plays yesterday where Ced would break a 10 yarder and whit would be five yards upfield staring down at a DT on the ground. Gotta love that.

I also thought it was interesting that in the post game Marvin said, regarding the penalties, "we need to go back and look at the tape to see if we were actually doing anything against the rules." They knew they were getting BS calls. I would like to see even ONE replay of all the crocker hits that were called for PI. It makes me angry when significant calls like that are made and we never even get to see a replay. Hopefully we don't see Guns n' Stripes as our ref again this year. There seriously weren't three consecutive plays without a penalty it seemed.

On a final note -- I don't think the packers got ONE holding call against them. If you have the game taped, watch the havoc Geathers wreaked on the right side of their O-line and how he just gets mauled from all angles . . . yet no flags. It seriously looked like their o-line was playing rugby on the right side of the line. I hate refs.

I think if Andre comes back it will have to be in week 4,6,7, 11, 12, or 13.

They aren't going to bring him in against a team with a top flight pass rush right away. The Texans have Williams, but he won't go up against Smith. The Raiders have Seymour, but again he won't go against smith. His best bet is to get situational playing time on rush downs until they put him in their full time.

Cedric is looking like a beast. I know the line is doing well, but he is looking fast and shifty

I think if Andre comes back it will have to be in week 4,6,7, 11, 12, or 13.

They aren't going to bring him in against a team with a top flight pass rush right away. The Texans have Williams, but he won't go up against Smith. The Raiders have Seymour, but again he won't go against smith. His best bet is to get situational playing time on rush downs until they put him in their full time.

Cedric is looking like a beast. I know the line is doing well, but he is looking fast and shifty

I think they will bring him in against a top pass rushing team. I believe we'll see Smith start for the first time against Baltimore at home, which is after the bye week. I think he'll get some work earlier in the season than that in goal line situations as the right tackle and Collins will be the blocking tight end, and they'll give Andre two weeks to prepare for his first start.

Suggs will be the ultimate test by fire.

Personally I think whit has looked real solid. I noticed a couple plays yesterday where Ced would break a 10 yarder and whit would be five yards upfield staring down at a DT on the ground. Gotta love that.

I also thought it was interesting that in the post game Marvin said, regarding the penalties, "we need to go back and look at the tape to see if we were actually doing anything against the rules." They knew they were getting BS calls. I would like to see even ONE replay of all the crocker hits that were called for PI.

Yes, I too thought CBS was horrible with replays. Made me turn on my DVR by the 4 th qtr. I think Crocker made some well timed hits

Speaking of calls, which are neither here nor there I realize, but did anyone else think the Packers were offsides when they made the onsides kick ??

That whole play just looked stupid...

I wondering the same thing so I replayed it on very slo-mo on my DVR and they were not offsides. They executed it well.

I saw an endzone angle of it on the 11pm news and that showed how the ball really took a funny bounce right before GB grabbed it, something that didn't show so much from the 50 yd line camera. It took a sharp bounce towards the sidelines and that's what caught the Bengals off guard. As a kicking team that's exactly what you go for

Agreed Whit had 2 holding calls vs packers but Collins has drew his own flags and has given up more sacks at Right Tackle...So why would you wanna place him on Carsons blind side?

You can't go shifting around an O-line in mid season. That's not a good way to go. Looking ahead to next year, I'd say the Bengals may very well be looking to draft a LT. In the meantime Whit will be fine. He's not a problem.

Well it seems like they were doing just that vs the Packers,Hobson reported that Collins was being pulled every now and then for Rolland....So Rolland was playing Right Tackle on top of elephant Tightend