If the Bengals lose week 1. NFL Logic does not apply

walzav29

The Broncos are in shambles. Marshall makes Chad of 08 look like a genius. When was the last time a Pro Bowl QB under 27 was traded? Their #1 RB is hurt, it's on the road. The team seems to hate the coach. If the Bengals lose, then I will believe nothng any football guy has ever said, because this goes against all logic. I'm not talking spread. I'm talking straight up. The Bengals shouldn't lose this game. If they do. We're dead.

The Broncos are in shambles. Marshall makes Chad of 08 look like a genius. When was the last time a Pro Bowl QB under 27 was traded? Their #1 RB is hurt, it's on the road. The team seems to hate the coach. If the Bengals lose, then I will believe nothng any football guy has ever said, because this goes against all logic. I'm not talking spread. I'm talking straight up. The Bengals shouldn't lose this game. If they do. We're dead.

Agreed. No way in Haiti the Bengals should lose to the Broncos. They have no QB, 33 year old first time head coach, new defensive coordinator (who by the way is switching them from a 4-3 to a 3-4), and all the drama you mentioned with Marshall and yet on local Broncos radio shows they are penciling in a win against the Bengals. This speaks volumes as to how much the rest of the league thinks this organization is a joke. A team that is in full tear down rebuilding mode is banking on a win against them. Unbelievable. At this point i would not be surprised if the Lions are looking at their schedule thinking "Hmmm, we might be able to steal a win from Cincy". Unreal.

The reason that the Broncos fans and media have penciled in a W against the Bengals is the same exact reason that Bengals fans have penciled in wins against the Browns, Raiders, and Lions.

When you are a perpetually bad team, your only hope is to assume that all of the offseason changes for your team will be positive and all the offseason changes for the other perpetually bad teams will either be inconsequential or negative.

For example, Bengals Fan looks at the Raiders and says, "There is no way in Hades that we should lose to the Raiders. They were 5-11 last year, haven't been good in like forever, have a 1st-year coach who is crazy, an owner that's even crazier, overspends and can't draft worth a lick, and a QB that couldn't beat out Daunte Culpepper a few years back. We have Carson Palmer back, a 12th-ranked D that is sure to get even better, Chad is back to form, and have you seen Bernard Scott!"

Meanwhile, Raiders Fan says "The Bungles? Oh yeah, if we can't beat the Bungles then something's wrong. They're like the worst franchise in all of sports, their owner is a cheapskate, won't sign his draft pick, and has a fettish for hardened criminals. Carson Palmer is injured again, and their defense is always bad. We had a Top 10 rushing attack last year without much help from McFadden who should be great this year, Coach Cable is bringing a new toughness to the team, Darrius Heyward-Bey and Zach Miller will provide targets for JaMarcus, who can only improve..."

And so the cycle goes for every fan living in Cincy, Cleveland, Oakland, and Detroit--hoping that this year will be different. Meanwhile, the fans in Pittsburgh, New England, and Indianapolis can't decide whether to laugh at us or feel sorry for us.

If you want a point of reference for "If the Bengals lose Week 1, then NFL Logic does not apply", look no further than last year's opener. We were going against a team coming off a double-digit loss season with a new coach and a rookie QB. Their best offensive weapon was banged up/underperforming, and they had just picked up off waivers a player that we, the Bengals deemed to be done. If we couldn't beat the Ravens, then it was going to be a long season.

We didn't beat the Ravens, and it did turn out to be a long season. Meanwhile, the Ravens went to the AFC Title Game. I'm not saying that the Broncos are going anywhere near the playoffs this year, but I am saying that there is no such thing as a "Gimme" in Bengal Land.

We didn't beat the Ravens, and it did turn out to be a long season. Meanwhile, the Ravens went to the AFC Title Game. I'm not saying that the Broncos are going anywhere near the playoffs this year, but I am saying that there is no such thing as a "Gimme" in Bengal Land.

There's no such thing as a gimme anywhere. The Bengals have lost to some teams over the years they had no business losing to, and vice versa. Every team loses to a team it shouldn't. It happens. On paper, the Pats, Colts, and Steelers shouldn't lose to anyone, but they incur losses.

The reason that the Broncos fans and media have penciled in a W against the Bengals is the same exact reason that Bengals fans have penciled in wins against the Browns, Raiders, and Lions.

Nice rundown and completely accurate. Almost every team, even the bad ones, has some aspect of their game or some star player for fans to pin their hopes on. By nature, it seems that fans have to overlook their team's shortcomings--sort of a natural defense mechanism. Last year's game 1 is a very good example. There are teams that surprise every year, no doubt. I think that there is some reason to think the Bengals could surprise (pleasantly) this season, but it's hard to argue with other team's fans that believe we're going to suck. Here's to them being wrong.

Bengals fan living in Green Bay the last 5 yrs...and I'm here to tell ya, the Broncos are the least of your worries. If they lose to the Broncos and I believe they will, they are staring down the barrel at another 0-3 or worse start with games against the Packers and Steelers next. The Packers are simply dominating on both sides of the ball this preseason. The Bengals are looking at a monumental beat down week two at Lambeau, just pencil it in now. And week 3 the Steelers come to Pittsburgh West for their annual smackdown of the Bengals. Hmm, wonder who Ward will put on IR that game?

Bengals fan living in Green Bay the last 5 yrs...and I'm here to tell ya, the Broncos are the least of your worries. If they lose to the Broncos and I believe they will, they are staring down the barrel at another 0-3 or worse start with games against the Packers and Steelers next. The Packers are simply dominating on both sides of the ball this preseason. The Bengals are looking at a monumental beat down week two at Lambeau, just pencil it in now. And week 3 the Steelers come to Pittsburgh West for their annual smackdown of the Bengals. Hmm, wonder who Ward will put on IR that game?

I'd say this is a pretty accurate post. imagine that out of someone with only 3 posts...

I'd say this is a pretty accurate post. imagine that out of someone with only 3 posts...

Post count is not an accurate measure of one's ability to reason and/or write. After all, all of the following individuals have a fairly high post count: Joe Wrong, Agreen, Pushy (who hasn't been seen in a while), WhurChadAt, and of course, Momslikeme.com

Wow, nothing like dominating the preseason! Good luck trying to beat your old QB in Minnesota.

Wow, nothing like dominating the preseason! Good luck trying to beat your old QB in Minnesota.

fatty, he is a BENGALS fan living in green bay. That doesn't make him a packers fan, anymore than my having just moved to Baltimore makes me a ravens fan, I assure you.

His point is well taken, the Packers look pretty damn good right now, and it is impossible for me to believe that GB will be less than, at the least, four point favorites when Cincy goes up there for week 2. So, yeah, with the Steelers looming in Week 3, the Bengals would be WELL advised to win week 1.

fatty, he is a BENGALS fan living in green bay. That doesn't make him a packers fan, anymore than my having just moved to Baltimore makes me a ravens fan, I assure you.

His point is well taken, the Packers look pretty damn good right now, and it is impossible for me to believe that GB will be less than, at the least, four point favorites when Cincy goes up there for week 2. So, yeah, with the Steelers looming in Week 3, the Bengals would be WELL advised to win week 1.

The REAL truth is:

Denver is BETTER than they've shown, thus far.

Green Bay is WORSE than they've shown, thus far.

Cincinnati, is ABOUT AS GOOD as shown, thus far.

That said, I'm predicting a split the first two games, with Pittsburgh coming in to be the statement game of the young season. It'll definitely set the tone for the season, despite how they fare in the first two games, as the most important game since the 2007 season.

Last year by far the best pre season team was the Detroit Lions. They were 4-0 and had the best point differential of any team, over 10 pts a game. As usual one of the worst were the Indy Colts. They were 1-4. I don't know how they'll be under a new coach but Tony Dungy never played to win pre season games. That was always a gift win for our Bengals to end the pre season

Maybe the Bengals will pull it out, but there are no gimme weeks on the Bengals schedule.

There's no gimme's for anyone. Don't make it all about the Bengals. Every team loses to a team it shouldn't lose to every once in a while.

Baltimore opener last year looked like a gimme too.

I feel sorry for the fans that already have Denver penciled in as a win.

Maybe the Bengals will pull it out, but there are no gimme weeks on the Bengals schedule.

Bengal fans know full well there are no gimmes. The point of this thread is that they'd be best served to win game #1 because the schedule looks to be harder in the following weeks

There's no gimme's for anyone. Don't make it all about the Bengals.

I'll make it all about the Bengals if I feel like it. Who do you think you are?

Every team loses to a team it shouldn't lose to every once in a while.

Mostly the Bengals though. We play the good teams tough, and play crappy teams crappily.

Who do you think you are?

I am who I thought I was.

Mostly the Bengals though. We play the good teams tough, and play crappy teams crappily.

No it's not just mostly the Bengals. Every team has an off week and things don't go their way. Case in point, every team that lost to the Cardinals in the playoffs last year. They shouldn't have ever made it to the Superbowl.

You know, at a certain point, the moderators see enough "the bengals suck, but the <steelers or ravens or browns> rule" that the person in question gets marked as a troll and thereafter is relegated to posting in the smack forum.....or at least, thats my understanding of how it works.

Are we at that point yet with MomsLikeMe.com, Mods?

9 out of every ten posts right now is either MomsLikeMe.com spewing nonsense or someone else pointing out the nonsense and certainly anyone who is in favor of bengals players getting injured qualifies as a non-Bengals-fan (regardless of frequent claims otherwise) and ergo a troll.

IMHO

You know, at a certain point, the moderators see enough "the bengals suck, but the <steelers or ravens or browns> rule" that the person in question gets marked as a troll and thereafter is relegated to posting in the smack forum.....or at least, thats my understanding of how it works.

Are we at that point yet with MomsLikeMe.com, Mods?

9 out of every ten posts right now is either MomsLikeMe.com spewing nonsense or someone else pointing out the nonsense and certainly anyone who is in favor of bengals players getting injured qualifies as a non-Bengals-fan (regardless of frequent claims otherwise) and ergo a troll.

IMHO

IMHO

Yeah, that will win more games for the Bengals and make Mike Brown spend to the cap. :rolleyes:

And who said I was in favor of players getting injured. I just said it would happen. And it did. Now I'm being roasted for not predicting Kelly and Utecht would go down?

Again, laughable.

I agree that the Packers are likely to be really coming into their own this season without the circus that clearly dragged on them the first half last year. Just like Bengals fans shouldn't pencil in a win against Denver, however, I don't think the terms "monumental beat down" are really appropriate based on a strong preseason from anybody. The Bengals played well with NE in week 2 and I doubt you'd find anybody here thinking that means diddly crap when the season starts. Last comment, I can think of only one other "Bengals fan" who speaks so glowingly of the Squeelers to suggest that Whines Hard will put someone "on IR that game." If you're a Bengals fan, you likely need to attend the same self image sessions as mom like me.