It's cliche but a good start is vital

walzav29

If you think about it, this team winning some games early will setup the season late for a real run. This rookie class is looking better and better. You would have to think by the time playoffs start they wouldn't be rookies. If Palmer and Chad can really carry the load with Benson early on. Then everyone else should be able to contribute by the end. Including Smith.

Having arguably the best OT in the draft in camp and ready to go for the opener would certainly help this quite a bit.

Indeed,I don't mind collins but theres a reason we drafted Andre...

Our first 5 opponents play a 3 - 4 defense, so I think that ship has sailed....Andre won't be ready for Denver, even if he shows up tomorrow.

Having arguably the best OT in the draft in camp and ready to go for the opener would certainly help this quite a bit.

Indeed,I don't mind collins but theres a reason we drafted Andre...

Our first 5 opponents play a 3 - 4 defense, so I think that ship has sailed....Andre won't be ready for Denver, even if he shows up tomorrow.

Agreed. He's missed too much time now. He's going to have to be eased into the line up now.

I CERTAINLY agree that a fast start is vital and when you look at the schedule, it's important not only to set the tone, but with 3 of our first 5 games against division opponents, to put us out front in the race for the division as well. I think that Pittsburgh game is going to be H-U-G-E, HUGE !!!

I will CERTAINLY disagree that it's to late for Andre to start week #1. To start, we haven't even played one preseason game yet. If he misses much more time than that, then sure it's more probably. He's been getting all the plays and from all accounts been studying. He was the best OT in this draft and while he's making a switch to RT, he did get time in during OTA's to have an idea of what is going on. Like I said, if he misses much more than maybe another week, then I would be more inclined to agree. Right now ?? Not as much.

I CERTAINLY agree that a fast start is vital and when you look at the schedule, it's important not only to set the tone, but with 3 of our first 5 games against division opponents, to put us out front in the race for the division as well. I think that Pittsburgh game is going to be H-U-G-E, HUGE !!!

I will CERTAINLY disagree that it's to late for Andre to start week #1. To start, we haven't even played one preseason game yet. If he misses much more time than that, then sure it's more probably. He's been getting all the plays and from all accounts been studying. He was the best OT in this draft and while he's making a switch to RT, he did get time in during OTA's to have an idea of what is going on. Like I said, if he misses much more than maybe another week, then I would be more inclined to agree. Right now ?? Not as much.

Is he staying in shape (so to speak), too? Is he exercising along with studying? The offensive line has to work as a team and be able to anticipate each other and no matter how much studying he's doing, he can't get that sitting at home.

By the time he's actually in camp and signed, it will be too late for him to start Week 1, if he's even here before Week 1. If he got here and signed today, he might be ready for Week 1, but that's an "if".

I will CERTAINLY disagree that it's to late for Andre to start week #1. To start, we haven't even played one preseason game yet.

Yup. Then again, who knows if the Bengals ever intended to start Andre Smith in week one even under the best case scenario...as they typically don't play ANY rookie offensive lineman, from Willie Anderson to Anthony Collins, prior to the mid-season break.

This is true and agree with not really knowing how his "conditioning" is going. All of that are unknowns and could very easily spell Andre not starting right off the bat. The "ifs" are what's killing me right now.

Going back on topic, the first part of my original post in this thread still stands...

This is true and agree with not really knowing how his "conditioning" is going. All of that are unknowns and could very easily spell Andre not starting right off the bat. The "ifs" are what's killing me right now.

Going back on topic, the first part of my original post in this thread still stands...

Well of course a good start is huge. It always is. I pray more than anything for a win in week 3. I want nothing more than to pound the Steelers this year.

The o-line has been and remains to be a HUGE concern for this team and I think most would agree to that with Carson either equal in concern or at least a close second. Yeah, I don't like what Alexander had to say anymore than any other fan, but is it really anything that suprises anyone ?? The flip side to not knowing how bad this o-line can be is, not knowing how good this o-line can be and if it's on the better side of solid, this team can be dangerous and I think there are many people out there aware of that.

The o-line has been and remains to be a HUGE concern for this team and I think most would agree to that with Carson either equal in concern or at least a close second. Yeah, I don't like what Alexander had to say anymore than any other fan, but is it really anything that suprises anyone ?? The flip side to not knowing how bad this o-line can be is, not knowing how good this o-line can be and if it's on the better side of solid, this team can be dangerous and I think there are many people out there aware of that.

It really is all about the o-line. I'm cautiously optimistic but worried at the same time. It's frustrating. We'll have an idea after Friday night's game how they'll do this year.

Game 3 in the preseason is always the game the teams use to gauge where there are as they head into week #1, so I will try to temper any feelings I have either way until they get to that point and get some more practices under their belt. That and whenever they do get Andre in camp, I honestly feel that will set that back a little until he gets on line. All we can hope for there is that he has good study habits and has been staying in shape to the best of his ability.

Game 3 in the preseason is always the game the teams use to gauge where there are as they head into week #1, so I will try to temper any feelings I have either way until they get to that point and get some more practices under their belt. That and whenever they do get Andre in camp, I honestly feel that will set that back a little until he gets on line. All we can hope for there is that he has good study habits and has been staying in shape to the best of his ability.

I hope that, too. I know there is a reason they drafted Andre and I know he's talented, but I'm still comfortable with Collins in there. He held his own last year when playing on the other side.

I think even if Smith bad been in camp from day one, that Collins still may have been better in pass protection for the first few games. Collins doesn't concern me at all when it come to protecting Palmer. That said, I do think the running game will suffer without Smith in the lineup... and now Kelly out.

I think even if Smith bad been in camp from day one, that Collins still may have been better in pass protection for the first few games. Collins doesn't concern me at all when it come to protecting Palmer. That said, I do think the running game will suffer without Smith in the lineup... and now Kelly out.

True.