Mike Brown's State of the Union

icehole3

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying this for any other reason than it's what I picked up on, but is it just me or does he talk like someone who really doesn't know that much about the game of football ?? That's not the cue to bash the sh*t out of him, just an observation in one interview.

I can agree that he doesnt know a lot about the game like a coach would. I think his problem is he is a bean counter and with being a bean counter he felt he could save money by being the GM and failed at that. I mean he failed real bad up and down and side to side being a GM.

I'm not saying this for any other reason than it's what I picked up on, but is it just me or does he talk like someone who really doesn't know that much about the game of football ?? That's not the cue to bash the sh*t out of him, just an observation in one interview.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

That was a typical Mike Brown interview IMHO. He never talks about things in great detail....just big picture stuff in soft focus.

Frankly, the only thing missing was the almost mandatory country bon mot about rabbit stew, chicken eggs, or ox carts gone astray.

is it just me or does he talk like someone who really doesn't know that much about the game of football ??

What Mike Brown knows about actual football you could stuff up a gnats ass, and it would still look like a pea rolling around in a box car. How he fell so far from his fathers tree is astounding. Paul Brown possessed one of the games greatest minds ever, yet we're saddled with his boy wonder.

I guess I'm really happy he does but one interview a year. Thinking about how badly he's failed this team as an owner while sitting here listening to him smugly explain why no GM is needed would be too much for me to take on a regular basis. <_<

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

That was a typical Mike Brown interview IMHO. He never talks about things in great detail....just big picture stuff in soft focus.

Just saying that he just seems very uninformed. I suppose I just figure an owner would go a little more in depth when granting his LONE interview for the season that consists of just a few questions. I have heard more informed responses to situations from members of this board than what he just gave up as answers.

Like I said, not a cue to bash him, just a simple observation that means little to nothing in the grand scheme of things.

What Mike Brown knows about actual football you could stuff up a gnats ass, and it would still look like a pea rolling around in a box car

I think this is just one of your themes you like to talk about.

I like to stick with the truth, and roll from there T.J. If you feel Mike Brown has a plausible excuse for his record as owner, then by all means please elaborate. I'm all ears.

Lets keep it real. This team will never succeed because of Mike Brown. If they ever succeed, it will be in spite of him.

Oh He!! no he didn't just say 'We've gotten there in the past doing what we do and we'll get there again'. Yeah, and France actually won a military battle in like the War of 1812 or some sh!t like that. Mike SHUT THE HE!! UP. Once a year is apparently too much!

To me it comes off as if he is just finihing a chore. Had to be done, just get it done with the least amount of effort. Much like how he runs the team.

I like HoF's take "..big picture stuff in soft focus"...I acutally doubt there is more to it.

He did not dig himself any real holes, like the infamous "themes" explanation.

SoP is a bore. snore.

is it just me or does he talk like someone who really doesn't know that much about the game of football ??

What Mike Brown knows about actual football you could stuff up a gnats ass, and it would still look like a pea rolling around in a box car. How he fell so far from his fathers tree is astounding. Paul Brown possessed one of the games greatest minds ever, yet we're saddled with his boy wonder.

I guess I'm really happy he does but one interview a year. Thinking about how badly he's failed this team as an owner while sitting here listening to him smugly explain why no GM is needed would be too much for me to take on a regular basis. <_<

I will probably catch flak for this, but here goes:

I think you are discounting how much he really knows about the game of football. His father was an icon and a legend of football and you can't be around a man like that without learning something. He hasn't had success in putting together great teams, but a lot of people (Smart people) have that same problem.

Look at Mike Shannahan for an example. Anyone that doubts his football knowledge is a damn fool, but he has had serious issues fielding a serious team since Elway retired and he was put in charge of personnel. Sure Jake "The Mistake" had a couple good seasons there, but when you compare the Marvin Lewis era to the last five or so years with the Broncos there isn't much difference. Sure, there were the 90's where he just sucked ass as a personnel guy, but he did have some serious misfortunes with some high draft picks.

Another guy that is a football legend is Al Davis. Noone can question his football knowledge, but he has been very ineffective as a GM lately. He brought together every HOF, Pro Bowl old guy he could for one more run in 2003, but he hasn't done anything since.

I think his failures have a lot more to do with two things: Bad luck/bad choices in the draft which happen to a lot of teams and the success the other teams in our division have had over the past two decades. Look at the resume of the Steelers and Ravens from this decade alone- 3 Superbowls, another handful of championship games

I will probably catch flak for this, but here goes:

I think you are discounting how much he really knows about the game of football. His father was an icon and a legend of football and you can't be around a man like that without learning something. He hasn't had success in putting together great teams, but a lot of people (Smart people) have that same problem.

Look at Mike Shannahan for an example. Anyone that doubts his football knowledge is a damn fool, but he has had serious issues fielding a serious team since Elway retired and he was put in charge of personnel. Sure Jake "The Mistake" had a couple good seasons there, but when you compare the Marvin Lewis era to the last five or so years with the Broncos there isn't much difference. Sure, there were the 90's where he just sucked ass as a personnel guy, but he did have some serious misfortunes with some high draft picks.

Another guy that is a football legend is Al Davis. Noone can question his football knowledge, but he has been very ineffective as a GM lately. He brought together every HOF, Pro Bowl old guy he could for one more run in 2003, but he hasn't done anything since.

I think his failures have a lot more to do with two things: Bad luck/bad choices in the draft which happen to a lot of teams and the success the other teams in our division have had over the past two decades. Look at the resume of the Steelers and Ravens from this decade alone- 3 Superbowls, another handful of championship games

I'm sorry man, but "bad luck" happens every once in awhile. This isn't bad luck. There has been a "slight" pattern occuring since MB took over. The man deserves no excuses. None. He's had plenty of time to overcome some "bad luck".

This isn't flak N_S_I_O_Y, just mere rebuttal.

The first is with luck. I lived in Las Vegas long enough to know luck rides with odds, and the odds simply don't make a bad a run as long as Mike Brown has. Something else has to contribute for failure to exist for this extended period of time.

The second is bad choices. I think the latter just answered the question of the former. Mike may or may have not been responsible for all these choices, but the fact is he was in charge as owner/GM when they were made. Blame starts at the top. This may appear simplistic to some, but a look at where wall street is today really validates this.

In Mike's defense I will say he doesn't nearly have his fathers football oriented back round. Never will either, but he DID want to keep his family's legacy alive with the team. I respect that.

Where I start having a problem with Mike is where he assumes he can do as good a job at being owner and GM, and still put a quality product on the field. That hasn't happened on any reasonable scale since he took the job. As an educated man he should frankly know his limitations, and acquire hired PROFESSIONAL help to achieve success/playoffs for the Bengals. At least to get there more often than once every 15 to 20 years as the way things are done currently? I think it's worth a shot.

The first is with luck. I lived in Las Vegas long enough to know luck rides with odds, and the odds simply don't make a bad a run as long as Mike Brown has. Something else has to contribute for failure to exist for this extended period of time.

The second is bad choices. I think the latter just answered the question of the former. Mike may or may have not been responsible for all these choices, but the fact is he was in charge as owner/GM when they were made. Blame starts at the top. This may appear simplistic to some, but a look at where wall street is today really validates this.

In Mike's defense I will say he doesn't nearly have his fathers football oriented back round. Never will either, but he DID want to keep his family's legacy alive with the team. I respect that.

Where I start having a problem with Mike is where he assumes he can do as good a job at being owner and GM, and still put a quality product on the field. That hasn't happened on any reasonable scale since he took the job. As an educated man he should frankly know his limitations, and acquire hired PROFESSIONAL help to achieve success/playoffs for the Bengals. At least to get there more often than once every 15 to 20 years as the way things are done currently? I think it's worth a shot.

I think if you forgot about the 90s and just judged him based on the teams performance it wouldn't be that bad. The team hasn't done much, but hey at least they aren't the bills. I have a question and actually I am going to start a new topic about that question so you can answer it in there!

The team hasn't done much, but hey at least they aren't the bills.

I couldn't handle losing that many Super Bowls in a row. Cincy's '82 loss was tough. '88 nearly killed me, and cost me a living room picture window after I launched my remote through it. :rolleyes:

I think if you forgot about the 90s and just judged him based on the teams performance it wouldn't be that bad. The team hasn't done much, but hey at least they aren't the bills. I have a question and actually I am going to start a new topic about that question so you can answer it in there!

Seriously? Forget about an entire decade?????

Doing the same thing for 20 years or so has gotten us the same thing and that's losing, even Stevie Wonder can see that his way is not working...I didn't like the fact that he says alot of teams don't have GM's and that they do what a GM would do, a GM would try to win games and do whatever to save his job, being owner of the team you don't have to worry about getting fired, so the decisions you make for the team may be more about putting $ in your pocket than fielding a winning team...

On a side note that apparently has irritated the Bengals organization, this nugget comes from the loveable retards at WDR.

They have a web site and collect funds to operate Project Mayhem, the staging of outlandish stunts to draw attention to their cause. The latest being a plane with a banner flying over the Bengal practice facility and since the Bengals are featured on "Hard Knocks", they are not amused. Of course, neither are their long suffering fans.

The banner reads: "I CAN ONLY SEE 1 SCOUT FROM HERE !"

There is a picture if you click on the link...

/>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2009/8/3/976185/the-absurdity-of-the-2009-season

On a side note that apparently has irritated the Bengals organization, this nugget comes from the loveable retards at WDR.....

Yeah, that stunt should find it's way onto Hard Knocks within 5 minutes of the opening credits.

Well done, douchebags. Well done indeed.

In fact, I can easily envision near daily flyovers from our own beloved version of......"5:00 Charlie"

Hooray, I guess.

This is funny. Mike Brown, a guy who played college football and who has been involved in football his entire life and watches film with coaches and attends practice and meetings and evaluated players and was taught by Paul Brown doesn't know much about the game?

Whatever problems Mike has as a GM has nothing to do with not being a football guy or lacking knowledge of the game.

Stop the stupidity.

This is funny. Mike Brown, a guy who played college football and who has been involved in football his entire life and watches film with coaches and attends practice and meetings and evaluated players and was taught by Paul Brown doesn't know much about the game?

Stop the stupidity.

I can only speak for myself here, but if you go back and read my post again, I said, "he talks like he doesn't know anything about football". It went directly to his speaking ability and not if in fact he is a football smart person. It was commented on by others afterward, including myself, that you would just figure that as an owner, he would go more indepth. Whatever though...