Does anyone know why Marvin didn't like Rudi?

walzav29

He just never really seemed to embrace Rudi. Anyone hear any rumors as to why?

I don't recall the exact wording, but Marvin once sarcastically joked about Rudi's habit of always being the last player to reach the practice field or show up for a meeting. As I recall Lewis deftly suggested Rudi had been slowed down by all of the mirrors he passed on the way.

Admittedly, that's thin stuff if you're looking for proof of a wedge between the two, but it actually fits a pattern of Lewis using sarcasm to "call out" the lack of leadership demonstrated by nearly every one of the Bengals so-called best and highest paid players.

That said, I never got the impression Lewis didn't embrace Rudi and I think his most recent comments have more to do with Benson being more physically gifted than Rudi, and thereby capable of doing things Rudi couldn't. And while that may seem like a slight it's really no more than acknowledgment of Rudi being more of a try hard overachiever type whose greatest asset was durability.

I always got the feeling the Rudi was never a team player. I really don't have anything to back that up, but that's kinda the vibe I got from him every time he said something.

He certainly had an ego that caused him to take things personally. I remember in an interview after a loss to the Steelers he complained about his role in the gameplan by saying "Look at the stats. It's not my fault."

He also showed thin skin after being released by saying that he felt bad for the Bengals. He probably should have spent more time feeling bad for his 0-16 Lions that he couldn't keep a starting job on.

Whatever. I'm not really sure what his relationship was to Marvin... and I don't really care. Marvin wasn't shy about using him to his potential.

Frankly, I hope they use the same strategy with Benson. I don't have any ill will for either Rudy or Benson... but when they demand A big pay day, it's time to find a younger option. Get as much use out of him as you can for 2 years, then let him and his old tired legs walk. The Bengals can then use draft picks to bring in younger cheaper players to do the job. Indy did that to Faulk and Edge both... and managed to do just fine.

i knew a female that was in his stable, he was all about rudi, money and ladies.

apparently before perry's first season him and rudi went out and spent thousands of dollars buying booze for 10 ladies, perry didn't even make it to mid-night before he was passed out drunk in the limo. doesn't explain marvin's relationship with rudi but i thought that was a funny story. perry even fumbled his liquor all over the back seat of the limo.

Rudi had his time and then degraded very quickly. The team stayed loyal to him, naming him starter and giving him every chance to overcome his shuffling feet, lack of burst and poor top-end.

Marvin was clearly less than impressed with his effort and work ethic, with his chronic late-ness being the most public issue we knew about.

I called for Rudi to be gone a full year before he was released. I never thought Perry was the answer but it was clear that the team would stay loyal to Rudi until the bitter end, which makes Rudi's sour-grape comments all the more revealing as to his character.

I think it is funny Rudi will be remebered more for having his underwaer hi-jacked than for his 1300+ yard seasons in stripes.

Because Rudi sucked. He severely limited the potential of this offense as a starting RB. Which is why we were forced to draft guys like Chris Perry and Kenny Irons who could actually bring something to the table other than a one-dimensional RB who no defense was worried about.

Rudi was always a poor man's Corey Dillon. Then they made him a rich man. Then he lost all that weight and became South Beach Rudi. Lean, mean, and completely ineffective between the tackles, yet still somehow slow as molasses trying to round the corner. Then he went downhill. Fast.

Rudi probably isn't on Marvn Lewis' Christmas Card List, but I never got the impression he didn't like him. He just didn't like Rudi's production toward the end. Sure it would have been nice if Rudi took some kind of leadership role, but that was never his personality.

Rudi was always a poor man's Corey Dillon. Then they made him a rich man. Then he lost all that weight and became South Beach Rudi. Lean, mean, and completely ineffective between the tackles, yet still somehow slow as molasses trying to round the corner. Then he went downhill. Fast.

Rudi probably isn't on Marvn Lewis' Christmas Card List, but I never got the impression he didn't like him. He just didn't like Rudi's production toward the end. Sure it would have been nice if Rudi took some kind of leadership role, but that was never his personality.

That was fairly well reasoned and articulated.

Yea, I had to double check to make sure it was really Mamabear making that post.

Yea, I had to double check to make sure it was really Mamabear making that post.

I see you are maintaining your usual high quality standard for posting though. Articulate and thought provoking, as usual. Responses like yours clearly strengthen the quality of this forum and in no way hijack the thread.

Keep up the good work! And for the rest of you latecomers, there are still room to pile on the "mamabear joke" bandwagon. You might have to sit on someone's lap though. Probably a bonus for you.

Hey, it beats having an original thought or some sort of contribution.

I see you are maintaining your usual high quality standard for posting though. Articulate and thought provoking, as usual. Responses like yours clearly strengthen the quality of this forum and in no way hijack the thread.

Keep up the good work! And for the rest of you latecomers, there are still room to pile on the "mamabear joke" bandwagon. You might have to sit on someone's lap though. Probably a bonus for you.

Hey, it beats having an original thought or some sort of contribution.

See, this is why you're considered by many to be the dumbest motherf**ker here. Someone goes out of their way to compliment you, and you come back being an ungrateful ass.

This is why Marvin "doesn't like Rudi". I am surprised this quote hasn't come up previously. Something happened in the offseason and Marvin felt like Rudi gave up on the team.

"ML: We never got a chance (on offense) because our quarterback got injured. Our running back (Rudi Johnson) decided to sit down on us."

This is why Marvin "doesn't like Rudi". I am surprised this quote hasn't come up previously. Something happened in the offseason and Marvin felt like Rudi gave up on the team.

"ML: We never got a chance (on offense) because our quarterback got injured. Our running back (Rudi Johnson) decided to sit down on us."

Well, he did sit out almost the entire preseason last year with a "hamstring" injury that I'm not even sure was injured. Marvin kept hinting during the preseason last year that it wasn't, which he kept hinting about TJ, too.

....it was clear that the team would stay loyal to Rudi until the bitter end, which makes Rudi's sour-grape comments all the more revealing as to his character.

I'm not sure what it reveals beyond another example of an athlete completely ignoring the acts of loyalty shown by the team, as if the team had no choice to do the positive things they do. For yet another example, just check out Willie Anderson's response to the 2 million dollar roster bonus the Bengals paid several months before his release. I wouldn't have paid it, said so loudly and often, yet Anderson never mentions how he pocketed those million(s) whenever discussing the poor manner he feels he was treated by the Bengals. And that same sour-grape attitude now defines the state of the teams relationships with players like Rudi, Housh, Chad, Willie, and Levi.

More than ever the almost complete lack of leadership demonstrated by the very players who were considered the teams best players becomes painfully clear.

More than ever the almost complete lack of leadership demonstrated by the very players who were considered the teams best players becomes painfully clear.

Ever worked for a company where many times it seemed that "management just didn't care?"

That brings out the best and worst in people. Mostly the worst. The best usually strengthen up, do their best, and perhaps greener pastures are in their horizons. Perhaps not. The rest are simply the rest. Most of them fold and in turn, create a folding atmosphere.

Every once in a while a true leader emerges. But with enough handcuffs, even the greatest leaders will fail. Such is the plight of anyone, sans one man, who dares bring hope to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Ever worked for a company where many times it seemed that "management just didn't care?"

That brings out the best and worst in people. Mostly the worst. The best usually strengthen up, do their best, and perhaps greener pastures are in their horizons. Perhaps not. The rest are simply the rest. Most of them fold and in turn, create a folding atmosphere.

Every once in a while a true leader emerges. But with enough handcuffs, even the greatest leaders will fail. Such is the plight of anyone, sans one man, who dares bring hope to the Cincinnati Bengals.

What makes you think that management doesn't care? Just because they're not the best front office in the league doesn't mean they don't care. Sure, they're the most unorthodox FO in the league, but I don't believe they don't care. I just think the priorities are messed up. Mikey's still trying to run the team the way his dad did, and he's just not his dad. He doesn't have the football knowledge or eye for talent that his father did and he's afraid to give anyone else outside the family any type of control over the team because of what happened to his dad in Cleveland. Does he suck as an owner? Mostly. Does he not care? I doubt that seriously. He'd like to field a winning team he just doesn't know how.

Actually, that's been the siren song of most employees at every business I've ever worked at....and is often no more than empty excuses made to deflect criticism of their own individual performances.

And btw, it works. For example, whenever the debate around here turns to whether Chad tanked last season there's always some idiot or two willing to excuse Chad's unprofessional behavior by pointing out who he works for. And the end result of such stupidity is Chad isn't held responsible for his own behavior by many of the very fans hurt most by his actions. But what the heck, you clowns hate Mike Brown so much you're more than willing to give Chad a pass, right?

Or point out just how miserable a team leader Willie Anderson really was and you're sure to hear from another idiot about how Willie would have been a better leader if he played for a team that didn't actually need leadership as badly as this one did. But there's the rub because he did play for a team that needed leaders badly...yet Anderson's only form of leadership was rooted in statements about hiding in his house when the team was winless, falling into a mental fog that sapped his spirit, admitting his almost hysterical feelings the team was cursed, or laughing when he heard how his replacement had been severly injured. Does any of this sound like acceptable team leadership to you? Well, probably not....but clowns like yo will happily give Willie a pass because you've got another target you're more interested in.

Or how the example of a popular kicker who has missed almost every important kick he's ever attempted asking for more than his market value would suggest....thereby prompting more idiots to ignore every single piece of hard evidence before claiming he's being lowballed by a cheap owner concerned only with saving a little pocket change. And those same idiots quickly conclude that since the two parties can't agree on a new contract only one party is really to blame. That being , the party that has agreed to pay Opies market price, but not his asking price. Thus, Opie can ask for whatever amount he wants and still get a pass with fans despite the fact that few, if anyone, agrees he's worth 3 million per. Or even more as some rumors suggest.

Frankly, if I were a rookie Bengal player I'm pretty sure I would have already noted how often underperforming players of this team can get a pass from a large segment of this teams fanbase without even bothering to utter an excuse or an apology....and of course that makes fans like MamaBear and Kid Steakhouse a vital and essential part of the culture of losing. Because without so-called revolutionaries like you more Bengal players would be held accountable for their actions....something that doesn't happen very often around here.

And according to the likes of you the reason players are held accountable for their actions is because....(wait for it)....you're too smart to be fooled.

Go figure, ehh?

Actually, that's been the siren song of most employees at every business I've ever worked at....and is often no more than empty excuses made to deflect criticism of their own individual performances.

You must work for one s**tty company after another if you think that. I have worked for companies that have their s**t together, and companies that do not. There is a difference. And the employees follow suit more often than not, one way or another.

Or point out just how miserable a team leader Willie Anderson really was and you're sure to hear from another idiot about how Willie would have been a better leader if he played for a team that didn't actually need leadership as badly as this one did. But there's the rub because he did play for a team that needed leaders badly...yet Anderson's only form of leadership was rooted in statements about hiding in his house when the team was winless, falling into a mental fog that sapped his spirit, admitting his almost hysterical feelings the team was cursed, or laughing when he heard how his replacement had been severly injured. Does any of this sound like acceptable team leadership to you? Well, probably not....but clowns like yo will happily give Willie a pass because you've got another target you're more interested in.

Willie was a consummate company man for every year he was here except for the last one. So was TJ. Yet, when they reach their boiling point and want out, suddenly they are "cancers." Chad is Chad and approached trying to get out pretty stupidly, but he was also a perfect company man up until a year and a half ago. Now he is a cancer though somehow. Or Fredo, or whatever.

Its just laughable to me how sensitive many Bengals fans are about the Bengals. With their track record, you'd think any fan who has followed the Bengals for more than a few years would understand why that after a while many players just can't take it here anymore and want a change of scenery at any cost.

The way Willie used to stick up for the Bengals and Mike Brown used to make me roll my eyes it was so cheesy. But by the end, he wanted the playoffs, so here that makes him a cancer.

Laughable.

Or how the example of a popular kicker who has missed almost every important kick he's ever attempted asking for more than his market value would suggest....thereby prompting more idiots to ignore every single piece of hard evidence before claiming he's being lowballed by a cheap owner concerned only with saving a little pocket change. And those same idiots quickly conclude that since the two parties can't agree on a new contract only one party is really to blame. That being , the party that has agreed to pay Opies market price, but not his asking price. Thus, Opie can ask for whatever amount he wants and still get a pass with fans despite the fact that few, if anyone, agrees he's worth 3 million per. Or even more as some rumors suggest.

Spin it however you like, this is twice now the Bengals have outsmarted themselves when it comes to Opie Negotiations.

Frankly, if I were a rookie Bengal player I'm pretty sure I would have already noted how often underperforming players of this team can get a pass from a large segment of this teams fanbase without even bothering to utter an excuse or an apology....and of course that makes fans like MamaBear and Kid Steakhouse a vital and essential part of the culture of losing. Because without so-called revolutionaries like you more Bengal players would be held accountable for their actions....something that doesn't happen very often around here.

And according to the likes of you the reason players are held accountable for their actions is because....(wait for it)....you're too smart to be fooled.

Go figure, ehh?

If you are a rookie, the last team you want to be drafted by is the Bengals. Ask any college player. To free agents and potential draft picks, the running joke is that "the Bengals have stripes because playing there is like NFL Jail." You serve your time there and then hopefully you get released in time before it is all done.

There is no accountability from the front office on down. Those who show up with a positive attitude and good work ethic, have both severely tested. Most players actually seem to regress during their time here.

It is challenging to be a Bengals fan, much less a Bengals player, and we all cope in different ways. I'll leave it at that.

I have worked for companies that have their s**t together, and companies that do not. There is a difference. And the employees follow suit more often than not, one way or another.

So you're claiming there are major differences in the way companies are run, but regardless.....employees always "follow suit" one way or another. So what the hell does that even mean?

Willie was a consummate company man for every year he was here except for the last one.

Bulls**t. Anderson's comment about hiding in his house was made more than 6 years ago. His remark about walking around in a mental fog was uttered more than three years ago. And his comments about feeling the team was cursed were made repeatedly during his time in Cincy, and repeated again only a few weeks ago from the safety and comfort of retirement. So your claim that Anderson was the "consummate company man" is based soley on your own level of ignorance, and not in facts.

Spin it however you like, this is twice now the Bengals have outsmarted themselves when it comes to Opie Negotiations.

You keep claiming this, but sadly....when asked to provide details you offer absolutely nothing in return. In fact, all you do is repeat the same stupid line about how the Bengals outsmarted themselves and will now have to pay Opie twice what they once could have signed him for, a blatant lie. Furthermore, it's becoming more obvious by the day that Opies asking price is at least 3 million per, and probably more. Happily, the Bengals won't have to pay that much, this year or next. So who outsmarted themselves here? The team that can retain the players services for less than the current market rate OR the player who has to play, this year and the next, for less than he's asking?

If you are a rookie, the last team you want to be drafted by is the Bengals. Ask any college player.

I have a better more realistic idea. How about you offer up a page or two full of actual quotes from players who don't want to play for this team. And since you claim this is true of "any college player" you should be able to provide dozens, if not hundreds, of examples that will prove your point. Then again, you're a bit of a dink and I'll be pretty amazed if you can scrounge up more than one.

There is no accountability from the front office on down.

More to the point, there's no accountability from fans like you. Players here can work hard or not knowing your anger will only be directed towards their boss. And IMHO that makes a dink like you a bigger part of the problem than any other factor you could name.

In short, so-called fans like you are the cancer. Because without you and your ilk this is just another bad franchise in a league that's full of 'em. But with fans like you, it's a franchise mired in a culture of losing....forever hamstrung by it's own self loathing fanbase.

You're the problem.