Reliving Carson Palmer's hit

gregstephens

I thought it was a dirty hit,anyway I thought that the next year after the hit, it had an effect on the way CPalmer played,and I guess that I couldn't blame him... The past couple of years when he's been healthy it looks like he isn't afraid to stay in the pocket a little longer, that hit alone set the Bengals back at least 2 years, with CPalmer rehabbing while he should have been on the field and what not and then gaining confidence in the pocket during games to now where he feels better in the pocket...I think they will play with a chip on their shoulder, and you are right about 1 thing the Steelers are hated...

And another "why not us" reference. It's all the rage these days and why not ?? I mean if things pan out for the Bengals with the concerns that are there it could in fact happen. I'm not expecting it to in the least, but would it really suprise me if they won more than I think they will ?? No.

I remember that play like it happened yesterday. It's like remembering where you where when some other big event happened in your life. For Bengals fans watching that game, I'm sure they could tell their own story of where they were. Without going into that story, I will simply add that my heart sank seeing Carson laying on the turf and I knew we were done. While I liked Kitna, I never EVER had faith in him as a QB. The team imploded around him after halftime and it was all over. The team didn't have the mental toughness to come back.

Will this team have the mental toughness teams of the past lacked ?? I don't know, but I like the direction this team is going in and can honestly say I like the coaches we have for the most part. The combination of Marvin, Zimmer, and Fitzgerald are the three I love being a part of the organization. Some may disagree with the Marvin inclusion, but I still like him.

Anyway, I'm still not a fan of the hit. While it may not have been outright intentional, I don't think there is anyway to say it wasn't at least dirty in some fashion or another. F*ck those guys !!!

That game was a turning point for the Bengals franchise. While the 2005 season brought a glimmer of hope that the 'losing culture' of the Mike Brown era was a thing of the past, that one single tackle in that one single play in that one single series in that one single game brought life crashing back to reality.

True, but I've always questioned whether any other team OR fanbase would have imploded as badly as this one did.

Prior to Palmer's injury Lewis had a remarkable three year run that eventually produced a playoff team that IMHO was a true Super Bowl contender. Yet almost from the moment Palmer hit the turf you began to hear the familiar refrain of the malcontented Bengal fan....proving beyond a shadow of doubt how the losing culture surrounding this team hadn't really gone away. Rather, a fairly huge portion of the fanbase immediately retreated into a cycle of self-loathing, the local press resumed their predatory ways, while team leaders like Willie Anderson spewed nonsense about team curses.

The losing culture had made its return and was looking to collect interest.

If the first three seasons under Lewis proved anything about this franchise it's that winning DIDN'T change anything. At best, Lewis's early success muted the anger and self loathing only by a fraction, driving it underground until Palmer's injury unleashed the pent up feelings that define a losing culture. Sadly, those feelings now seems as strong as ever. Worse, Lewis is no longer in a position where he can combat those feelings by simply using the strength of his personality OR by assuming the role of an outsider riding to the rescue.

That game was a turning point for the Bengals franchise. While the 2005 season brought a glimmer of hope that the 'losing culture' of the Mike Brown era was a thing of the past, that one single tackle in that one single play in that one single series in that one single game brought life crashing back to reality.

True, but I've always questioned whether any other team OR fanbase would have imploded as badly as this one did.

Prior to Palmer's injury Lewis had a remarkable three year run that eventually produced a playoff team that IMHO was a true Super Bowl contender. Yet almost from the moment Palmer hit the turf you began to hear the familiar refrain of the malcontented Bengal fan....proving beyond a shadow of doubt how the losing culture surrounding this team hadn't really gone away. Rather, a fairly huge portion of the fanbase immediately retreated into a cycle of self-loathing, the local press resumed their predatory ways, while team leaders like Willie Anderson spewed nonsense about team curses.

The losing culture had made its return and was looking to collect interest.

If the first three seasons under Lewis proved anything about this franchise it's that winning DIDN'T change anything. At best, Lewis's early success muted the anger and self loathing only by a fraction, driving it underground until Palmer's injury unleashed the pent up feelings that define a losing culture. Sadly, those feelings now seems as strong as ever. Worse, Lewis is no longer in a position where he can combat those feelings by simply using the strength of his personality OR by assuming the role of an outsider riding to the rescue.

Hair, I found your comments to be very insightful, dead on the money and even poetic in spots. THAT is why I like writing those articles, for those types of thought provoking responses. Thank you.

I remember the play like it was yesterday as well.

It happened, then I just sighed, took my Bengals cap off, wiped my brow, and waited for the inevitable result of a Kitna led Bengal offense.

I felt cheated most of all. Because I knew that 2005 was the "blind squirrel finally found a nut, stopped clock is right twice a day" season. I was really hoping for more than just a 1-and-out because I knew we wouldn't sniff the playoffs again for a long time.

2005 was really something special. Every ball bounced our way. Every tipped pass went right to a Bengals DB even if he was out of position (cough Tory James). Palmer hadn't yet been poisoned by the Bengals and was still USC Carson as opposed to Bengalized Carson.

It was truly a magical season that ended in one play. Ceteris Paribus, it'll be another 15 years before all the stars line up like that again for the Bengals.

I was at that game. I remember the gasp from the crowd came right after the roar from Henry catching that bomb. I'll never forget it. And I also will never forget the hatred you could FEEL from the crowd towards the Steelers and their fans. So much so, Bengals fans wouldn't let them use the restrooms. It was wild. f**k 'em.

It happened, then I just sighed, took my Bengals cap off, wiped my brow, and waited for the inevitable result of a Kitna led Bengal offense.

I felt cheated most of all. Because I knew that 2005 was the "blind squirrel finally found a nut, stopped clock is right twice a day" season. I was really hoping for more than just a 1-and-out because I knew we wouldn't sniff the playoffs again for a long time.

2005 was really something special. Every ball bounced our way. Every tipped pass went right to a Bengals DB even if he was out of position (cough Tory James). Palmer hadn't yet been poisoned by the Bengals and was still USC Carson as opposed to Bengalized Carson.

It was truly a magical season that ended in one play. Ceteris Paribus, it'll be another 15 years before all the stars line up like that again for the Bengals.

Seriously, if everything is so horrible for you, why don't you just jump off of a building or something and end your misery?

Seriously, if everything is so horrible for you, why don't you just jump off of a building or something and end your misery?

Ron Mexico??

Alright...kinda reminded me of Ron Burgundy.

Everything is all sunshine and lollipops in my world, for the most part. Our Bengals on the other hand, are a perennial train wreck.

I call them as I see em', based on track record, statistics, infrastructure, and implied improvement. If I was objectively speaking about the Titanic or Hindenburg, I guess that would be negative too?

Let me put it to you this way. I'll always root for the Bengals, just like I'll always root for my crackhead cousin. But I'm not going to close my eyes and act like the Bengals did what it takes to be a playoff team or even have a winning record, anymore than I am going to pretend that my cousin is CEO of P&G.

Any "misery" with me toward the Bengals ended more than a decade ago. But I'm not going to sit here and act like they aren't going to suck balls again this season either.

That's what cheerleaders are for. So I'll leave you to that. Can you give us a few rah rah's and grab me a beer while you're up, sport. Thanks, you're a peach.

Ron Mexico??

Alright...kinda reminded me of Ron Burgundy.

Yeah, me and a guy at work were making fun of the whole Ron Mexico fiasco and so I decided it was time for a name change...

Everything is all sunshine and lollipops in my world, for the most part. Our Bengals on the other hand, are a perennial train wreck.

OUR Bengals?!?!? The way you speak, you've disowned them.

I call them as I see em', based on track record, statistics, infrastructure, and implied improvement. If I was objectively speaking about the Titanic or Hindenburg, I guess that would be negative too?

How you can even compare a football team to the Titanic boggles the mind. It's like comparing YOU to an actual mom. Some things just don't go together.

Let me put it to you this way. I'll always root for the Bengals, just like I'll always root for my crackhead cousin.

Does your crackhead cousin have his own messageboard that you go on to? Do you go to his message board and tell him he'll never amount to anything and that he'll always be a crackhead no matter what he or anybody else does?

But I'm not going to close my eyes and act like the Bengals did what it takes to be a playoff team or even have a winning record

And just who is asking you to do that? If you COULD speak objectively about this team, maybe you'd run into less problems here. But you're so damn fatalistic about everything regarding the Bengals that even fans of a team that's only had one winning season in the last 19 years say you're too negative.

Any "misery" with me toward the Bengals ended more than a decade ago.

Then why are you here?

Can you give us a few rah rah's.

Yeah, read my posts. Do you see me doing that...ever? Instead of getting a beer, why don't you get a clue instead?

By the way, do you know how I know you're gay?

Thanks, you're a peach.

That's how.