Tight Ends

ArmyBengal

So I was looking at videos of our draft picks and came across this one of Coffman.
/>http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nfl/NFL_Draft_Tight_Ends/12935999#nfl/NFL_Draft_Tight_Ends/12935999

I actually wanted the Bengals to draft him and had the Bengals taking him right where they did in the 3rd. While he's not know to be a devasting blocker, he has the ability to catch and has the build to be a HUGE redzone target and the guy to go to in order to pick up the 3rd down and move the chains. In watching the video, he looks absolutely HUGE out there on the field. I was just wondering everyone elses opinion when considering we have Utecht, Kelly, Coats, and another rookie.

I think Coats gets shown the door as there are better TE's and FB's on the team now and I just don't know how he fits. The rookie goes to the practice squad without any thought, expecially with them letting Matt Sherry go already. I can't remember how many TE's the Bengals carried last year, but I think it should be a good battle between Kelly, who is a good all around TE with great blocking skills, Utecht, who is coming off an injury and had great success in Indy's offense, and the rookie Coffman, who had more TD's than any TE in the nation last year and has put up STUPID numbers in his college career.

Tight ends might not be the sexy topic to discuss, but it's one of those areas that should prove interesting to watch and this may be the year we see a new approach to the TE position from Brat. I think that will be the key.

So I was looking at videos of our draft picks and came across this one of Coffman.
/>http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nfl/NFL_Draft_Tight_Ends/12935999#nfl/NFL_Draft_Tight_Ends/12935999

I actually wanted the Bengals to draft him and had the Bengals taking him right where they did in the 3rd. While he's not know to be a devasting blocker, he has the ability to catch and has the build to be a HUGE redzone target and the guy to go to in order to pick up the 3rd down and move the chains. In watching the video, he looks absolutely HUGE out there on the field. I was just wondering everyone elses opinion when considering we have Utecht, Kelly, Coats, and another rookie.

I think Coats gets shown the door as there are better TE's and FB's on the team now and I just don't know how he fits. The rookie goes to the practice squad without any thought, expecially with them letting Matt Sherry go already. I can't remember how many TE's the Bengals carried last year, but I think it should be a good battle between Kelly, who is a good all around TE with great blocking skills, Utecht, who is coming off an injury and had great success in Indy's offense, and the rookie Coffman, who had more TD's than any TE in the nation last year and has put up STUPID numbers in his college career.

Tight ends might not be the sexy topic to discuss, but it's one of those areas that should prove interesting to watch and this may be the year we see a new approach to the TE position from Brat. I think that will be the key.

I think we go with Kelly, Utecht, and Coffman. Coats goes bye, bye.

I think we go with Kelly, Utecht, and Coffman. Coats goes bye, bye.

I agree. Its the only logical decision. The only thing Coats had going for him was that he could backup tightend and fullback, but with a guy like Brian Leonard who can play runningback and back up the fullback position, Coats only value was diminished.

I can still remember Brat being asked immediately after being hired by the Bengals which receiving position was the most critical in regards to making his spread offense work properly. He answered TE, and claimed it was vital that player selected had enough speed to stretch defenses wide as well as deep. Furthermore, after missing horribly on every TE drafted during his watch Brat admitted several of his other recommendations had been dismissed due to the prospect being too highly regarded and as a result requiring a very early round pick. To that end Coffman seems like an almost perfect selection as he possesses most of the skills needed to be a very early round pick, yet his foot injury pushed him back to a point in the draft where he suddenly didn't cost more than the Bengals were willing to spend.

As for who doesn't make the cut, I still think Reggie Kelly might find himself on the bubble, but a more likely scenario would see him playing out his contract in the same familiar blocking role the Bengals covet. As for Coats, I've never seen what the Bengals claim to see when discussing the guy. In fact, for a professional athlete I'd have to argue Coats doesn't even run well, with the ball or without...let alone block, catch, run patterns, etc.

Finally, for anyone thinking playoffs...and I have to admit that's not me....a key player has to be Ben Utecht. Because not only did Utecht NOT contribute as planned last season, but he looked bad when trying. But if Utecht can step up and produce even modest levels of production, say 30-35 receptions and roughly 400 yards, I think the offense could open up in a bigger way than those numbers might suggest.

• Like 1

Nice post Hair, that's exactly the kind of repsonse I was looking for. I like what Kelly brings to the table, I just think when his contract is up, he's gone. I give credit for the Bengals realizing that fact and doing something about it sooner rather than later with the drafting of Coffman.

I cant see them releasing Kelly, as he is not only an extra lineman, but Carson loves the guy. I'd really like to see Coffman tear it up in pre-season, as Utecht hasn't done anything to justify his contract, may be injury prone, and drops a lot of passes (from what I've seen). When signed, I really wasn't expecting Utecht to duplicate the numbers he put up in Indianapolis(even though he was the #2 TE there) because of the Bengals system, and Bratkowski's play calling, However, I was expecting a HELL OF A LOT MORE than 16 rec for 123yds and ZERO TD's in 10 friggin games. Oh yeah, and his Salary for that '08 season? just over $4 mill ($4,005,040). I'm fine with dumping him, if Coffman has a good pre-season. They'd probably like to keep only 2 TE's with one on the practice squad, and keep more players at other positions.

I think Utecht never truly came back from that thumping he took to the chest (I think) early in the season. I think it lingered throughout the season and if he comes in healthy, should have a decent season. I'm willing to play the wait and see role for the time being.

I think Utecht never truly came back from that thumping he took to the chest (I think) early in the season. I think it lingered throughout the season and if he comes in healthy, should have a decent season. I'm willing to play the wait and see role for the time being.

Sure Beats the omg he's a free agent bust card,The guy was Injured for almost whole season and it's not like he's a high priced FA his contract was what 9million?

I just view injuries as a valid reason why someone didn't play up to their potential. I don't view it as a valid reason to claim they are a free agent bust. That would be reserved for players that were brought in, stayed healthy, and then sucked balls. Not to change the subject, but I put Odom in the same "wait and see" category.

Honestly, if Utecht can come back to form and Coffman comes along quickly, the TE position is looking pretty even after Kelly's time is up.

Honestly, if Utecht can come back to form and Coffman comes along quickly, the TE position is looking pretty even after Kelly's time is up.

I guess that depends on what role you view the TE to play in this offense. If you're looking for the Bengals offense to be more and more like the Colts or Cardinals, then yeah. Utecht and Coffman will be keys to that success. However, if the Bengals are hoping to return to '05 form where they were nearly as deadly on the ground as they were through the air, then they need a TE that isn't simply an overweight WR.

That's why I've liked Kelly. He's getting older, and it will probably be time to part ways with him soon, but I currently see no one on the roster that can fill the void he'll leave. For that reason I have trouble saying the Bengals are set at the TE position.

I guess that depends on what role you view the TE to play in this offense. If you're looking for the Bengals offense to be more and more like the Colts or Cardinals, then yeah. Utecht and Coffman will be keys to that success. However, if the Bengals are hoping to return to '05 form where they were nearly as deadly on the ground as they were through the air, then they need a TE that isn't simply an overweight WR.

That's why I've liked Kelly. He's getting older, and it will probably be time to part ways with him soon, but I currently see no one on the roster that can fill the void he'll leave. For that reason I have trouble saying the Bengals are set at the TE position.

Derek, that's exactly the reason I'm thinking Kelly isn't shown the door right away. It will give time to allow for blocking scheme's to be taught and allow the team time to address it if the learning curve isn't what they thought it was going to be. Kelly is also one of those guys that can assist in the learning curve as well. The coaches have already made mention to needing to bring at least Coffman in the fold with how to be a more well rounded TE incorporating the blocking schemes typically used in the Bengals offense. That being said, I think the team is moving in the right direction in this regard whereas in the past they didn't seem to be moving at all...

• Like 1

That's why I've liked Kelly. He's getting older, and it will probably be time to part ways with him soon, but I currently see no one on the roster that can fill the void he'll leave. For that reason I have trouble saying the Bengals are set at the TE position

Put Anthony Collins in at tight end? j/k

That's why I've liked Kelly. He's getting older, and it will probably be time to part ways with him soon, but I currently see no one on the roster that can fill the void he'll leave. For that reason I have trouble saying the Bengals are set at the TE position

Put Anthony Collins in at tight end? j/k

They'll probably do that in goal line situations like the did with Andrews a couple of years ago.

I really like this kid and hope he does get his deal done. He's almost slotted with picks around him signing so it should be soon.

Here's the latest from camp Coffman and DDN:

BENGALS CLOSE TO DEAL WITH 3rd ROUND PICK:

The Cincinnati Bengals have pretty much ignored their tight ends in recent years, but that part of the offense could be revived if third-round draft choice Chase Coffman has anything to say about it.

But first, the former Missouri star must sign a contract. That being said, there are reasons to believe that a deal will be struck in time for training camp.

With players due to report to Georgetown, (Ky.) Thursday, July 30, Coffman is very optimistic that he will be signed before camp opens.

"There is no way I am not going to be signed before we go into training camp," Coffman said during a recent phone interview. "I'm making it there the very first day if not a couple of days early. I'm getting in there and getting as much work as I can. That's one thing that can really set a rookie back is not making it into training camp on time. I'm letting my agents handle that part of the business and I will continue to focus on what I need to focus on."

The Chicago Bears have signed their third-round pick, wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias, who was selected just after Coffman, and the Pittsburgh Steelers signed Keenan Lewis, who was selected two spots ahead of him. Therefore a deal is close.

Coffman was an impact player at Missouri and the recipient of the 2008 John Mackey Award, given annually to the nation's top tight end. He finished the '08 season with 90 catches for 987 yards and 10 touchdowns.

A broken foot sustained on the last offensive play during Missouri's bowl game may have prevented Coffman from being a Day 1 draft selection. With the injured foot nearly fully recovered, it shouldn't take long before the Bengals receive first-round performance from the third rounder.

"I'm very close to being 100 percent," Coffman said. "I was able to participate in minicamp going through five practices in three days. It felt pretty good to get back out there. I'm just working on building the muscle and my mobility, trying to get back being healthy.

"I try not to think about the draft. If not for that I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in with the Bengals. I have a great quarterback in Carson Palmer, great tight ends coach and great guys ahead of me who are teaching me the pro game. It was frustrating at the time, but I'm just thankful to go in the third round and be drafted by Cincinnati."

Coffman played in a spread offense while at Mizzou and was asked to do two things. Catch the ball and make plays for the team. The tight end will be asked to do more as a pro and knows the correct course to take in order to perfect his craft.

"I think the biggest thing for me is watching the other guys who've played in the league a while," he said. "They're doing something right. I just need to watch them, listen to my coaches and try to learn as much as I can. One of the things I must improve on right away is blocking on the line of scrimmage."

Coffman went on to say that some of the things he did in college are not going to work in the NFL. He said the best guy on defense in college is going to be every guy on defense in the pros. To adjust to that he must study lots of film.

As for his personal goal, it's pretty simple. Strive to be one of the best.

"Being from the Kansas City area, I've been a fan of Tony Gonzalez for a longtime," Coffman said. "I'd like to be like him. He's had a great career and is one of the best pass-catching tight ends in the NFL. He also does a pretty good job blocking, so if I can just be a complete tight end and keep working hard, hopefully I can have a career like his."

Carlos "Big C" Holmes covers the NFL for the Dayton Daily News.

/>http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-close-to-deal-with-3bengals-close-to-deal-with-3rd-round-pick-197107.html?cxtype=rss_bengals

Utecht was the blocking TE at Indy, he is in line to replace Kelly and hopefully Coffman can become the pass catching threat that the Bengals have been lacking for years.

It depends on how fast Coffman and Utecht develop in the offense as to when Kelly is shown the door. Kelly will probably get the opportunity to play out his current contract.

Utecht can also catch the ball though. I'm not sure he's as good a blocker as Kelly but Utecht is good enough I think. Looking forward to seeing Coffman in action. Utecht as a blocker and good pass catcher and Coffman as a real threat should really open this offense up (please Brat, I beg of you).

It probably won't happen this coming season, but in 2010, I have a feeling we will be seeing quite a few plays running two-tightend sets. With two receiving threats at tight end, you can take advantage of the bigger, slower outside linebackers you face against in the 3-4.

When considering the strengths of this offense most would probabaly agree that the Bengals best and deepest position is WR. After that it's probabaly TE. And despite the work they did to address it, the FB position is unproven at best.

All that to say, I expect a high dose of single back packages... either with 2 TE's or 3 WR's. If the key to success is having your best players on the field, then the FB probably shouldn't get a ton of action outside of goalline plays and other obvious running down situations. I'm sure these TE's will see the field with some regularity.

One of the things I'm looking forward to about Coffman is seeing if the Bengals will eventually utilize him as the TE in 3WR sets. In '05 the Bengals did their most damage out of that package. Coffman could make it a virtual 4 WR set without Brat having to change up the playbook all that much. And with Chad, Coles, and Henry as the WR's you know someone will be open (assuming Carson has 3 seconds before a sack).