Cincy Favorites

Just reading through some topics and had a nostalgic pang for Cincinnati. My favorite Cincinnati cuisine is Grippos BBQ chips - man I love those things! My mouth waters just thinking about them!!

Every year for my b-day my sister sends me a big 1.5 lb box. I eat it in about a week. As soon as the box is open and that odor hits my nose...yum! The box costs about $3.00 but it costs another $10 to ship to Arizona!

I remember as a kid riding my bike down to Buffalo's Store at the corner of Sycamore and Blue Ash roads. For a dollar I'd get a RC Cola (in baseball season they'd put pictures of players imposed over baseballs on the side of the can), a 25-cent bag of Grippos and two packs of Topps baseball cards (never heard of Fleer and Donruss in those days) - man, those were the days!! :)

Grippos has a website that allows orders - gonna have to do that.

Anyone care to share a memory?

You betcha! Shoenling "Little Kings", or "Little Green Monsters" as we called 'em! You could fit a s**tload into a cooler on ice on a hot summer day, and by time it was just starting to warm up, you were done and it was time for another ice cold one!

It was about the only local beer I drank regularly. :rolleyes:

You betcha! Shoenling "Little Kings", or "Little Green Monsters" as we called 'em! You could fit a s**tload into a cooler on ice on a hot summer day, and by time it was just starting to warm up, you were done and it was time for another ice cold one!

It was about the only local beer I drank regularly. :rolleyes:

Man, I loved Little Kings!! What were those bottles - 7 oz.?

I swear, one of these days I'm moving back to Cincinnati.

The website Find Your Spot asks a bunch of questions about your interests, etc. and then spits out 20 or so spots that meet all your criteria.

I've done that quiz several times (you can change your responses) and Cincinnati is always my number 1 city. It's my destiny!

grippo's bbq chips!! definitely. i used to take home cartons of those on the way back from cincy.

im excited, because we just got mike-sells chips in nashville. i know its not an exclusively cincinnati thing (dayton is where they're made), its still something i had growing up, and not since i moved to nashville.

I haven't been to Cincy in a while now. Rock Bottom isn't a purely Cincy restaurant, but I have a pretty good time eating down there when I make it to Fountain Square. I also have some ... interesting memories of Hudepol.

Ahhhh, the beer in the Rock Bottom ....Raccoon Red, Brown Bear Brown, Crossley Field Pale Ale. All in large quantities!

Little King's got me through high school. Every Friday night we'd buy a "King Case," and after that it was anything goes. Come to think of it, we'd do that on saturday night too...and sunday...and monday... Ahhhh "those little green bottles."

Skyline, I'm with you on the Mike Sell's. The green onion chips are fav. My sister lives in Nashville, so I'll have to tell her that she can get them there now.

Growing up in Dayton, I don't have a lot of strictly Cincinnati favs. There used to be a LaRosa's in Lebanon that I used to go to allot until it closed. Also would hit the one on Vine St. in Clifton before shows at Bogart's, and of course at King's Island.

Anyone in Dayton eat at Milano's? If so, could you send me a cheesesteak and an order of roasted potatoes?

Little King's got me through high school. Every Friday night we'd buy a "King Case," and after that it was anything goes. Come to think of it, we'd do that on saturday night too...and sunday...and monday... Ahhhh "those little green bottles."

Skyline, I'm with you on the Mike Sell's. The green onion chips are fav. My sister lives in Nashville, so I'll have to tell her that she can get them there now.

Growing up in Dayton, I don't have a lot of strictly Cincinnati favs. There used to be a LaRosa's in Lebanon that I used to go to allot until it closed. Also would hit the one on Vine St. in Clifton before shows at Bogart's, and of course at King's Island.

Anyone in Dayton eat at Milano's? If so, could you send me a cheesesteak and an order of roasted potatoes?

yeah, i miss kings island too. we don't have anything like that around here...

Little King's got me through high school.  Every Friday night we'd buy a "King Case," and after that it was anything goes.  Come to think of it, we'd do that on saturday night too...and sunday...and monday...  Ahhhh "those little green bottles."

Skyline, I'm with you on the Mike Sell's.  The green onion chips are fav.  My sister lives in Nashville, so I'll have to tell her that she can get them there now.

Growing up in Dayton, I don't have a lot of strictly Cincinnati favs.  There used to be a LaRosa's in Lebanon that I used to go to allot until it closed.  Also would hit the one on Vine St. in Clifton before shows at Bogart's, and of course at King's Island.

Anyone in Dayton eat at Milano's?  If so, could you send me a cheesesteak and an order of roasted potatoes?

I've been to Six Flags here, and it doesn't even begin to compare.

I saw an episode of Newlyweds on MTV last week (I don't want to hear any sh!t for watching cuz Jessica Simpson is HOT) where they go to King's Island. It sure brought back allot of memories.

Little King's got me through high school.  Every Friday night we'd buy a "King Case," and after that it was anything goes.  Come to think of it, we'd do that on saturday night too...and sunday...and monday...  Ahhhh "those little green bottles."

Skyline, I'm with you on the Mike Sell's.  The green onion chips are fav.  My sister lives in Nashville, so I'll have to tell her that she can get them there now.

Growing up in Dayton, I don't have a lot of strictly Cincinnati favs.  There used to be a LaRosa's in Lebanon that I used to go to allot until it closed.  Also would hit the one on Vine St. in Clifton before shows at Bogart's, and of course at King's Island.

Anyone in Dayton eat at Milano's?  If so, could you send me a cheesesteak and an order of roasted potatoes?

I saw an episode of Newlyweds on MTV last week (I don't want to hear any sh!t for watching cuz Jessica Simpson is HOT) where they go to King's Island. It sure brought back allot of memories.

I used to work at Kings Island back around '84/'85. Worked one Winterfest and one summer. Man, that was a great job! Haven't been back since but hope to take my kid there one day.

Man, I'm already a big guy , but when I come up to Cincy' to see my family at christmas time, I pig out on by far Cincinnati's best compliment to Worldly cuisine..

1. Buddy La Rosas' pizza ! The pizzas and the real " steak hoagies " are just damn wonderful . I must kill like 4- 6 of those Hoagies alone. The Really Really sad thing is, :( , I can't get them down here in Georgia, unless I have them shipped overnight :lol::lol:

2. Angelos' Pizza, Second best pizza, and probably the best thin crust there ever was, and I' lived in N.Y. for years !

Gold Star and Skyline are pretty even too me, with Skyline getting the edge, cause I can't stand the Gold Star hotdogs.

- - Worst Beer, ( not a drinker ) is still Cincinnati's ' Top Hat beer. I wouldn't mind having one though just to bring back the memories of why I never started drinking in the first place :lol:

* oh and running into 'ol Highschool sweethearts isn't bad either !

And yes Denver Bengal, Jessica Simpson is hot !

How about this one:

"I'm Al Shottlekotte (sp?). It's 11:00. Do you know where your children are?" When I was a kid, that dude use to freak me out - just the way he said it.

I remember the Cool Ghoul.

And when Uncle Al would go visit the giant. It took me years to realize he was in the cave at the Natural History Museum.

I honestly feel very fortunate to have grown up there. I feel sorry for my son - Phoenix is a s**tty place for a kid to grow up. Got to work on that.

And when Uncle Al would go visit the giant.  It took me years to realize he was in the cave at the Natural History Museum.

Uncle Al...NO WAY!! I used to watch that show religiously when I was a kid. The part that I remember most is when he'd pick 3 kids to do that little Uncle Al dance thing with their arms. Whoever did it best got a marshmallow cone. God, I wanted to go on that show so bad.

Hey Chris. JS IS SMOKIN'. It's pretty cool too, the way her husband represents the Nati. In fact the first time I saw the show he was wearing a Bengals t-shirt. That kind of got my attention first...then I saw his wife. Now I sit and drool over her in front of my tv every Wednesday night.

I used to work at Kings Island back around '84/'85. Worked one Winterfest and one summer. Man, that was a great job! Haven't been back since but hope to take my kid there one day.

man you were lucky to work then when it was good, i work there now and im ready to quit. the supervisors and higher ups are complete idiots, so now im trying to work at skyline ^_^

Anybody remember the ride called "The Bat"??? One of the best rides ever because it was soooo rough!!!!

I remember The Bat. I remember walking by it all the time thinking "man that would be cool to ride" cause the damn thing was always closed.

Didn't they have a serious accident (i.e., death) on that thing or was that another ride?

Anybody remember the ride called "The Bat"???  One of the best rides ever because it was soooo rough!!!!

I remember The Bat. I remember walking by it all the time thinking "man that would be cool to ride" cause the damn thing was always closed.

Didn't they have a serious accident (i.e., death) on that thing or was that another ride?

Boobie,

I do believe that some drunkass fell outta the Bat and died. I don't see how it happened but hmmmmm???? Sometimes you can only guess.

I know for sure that the Bat had many cases of whiplash and it was one of the first of it's kind. I'm sure it was an engineering/maintenance nightmare.

I remember always being highly annoyed that it was always down.

• 2 years later...