Some love from PFT

Kazkal

Coles To Media: “You’ve Got Ocho”

Posted by Mike Florio on June 20, 2009, 2:07 p.m.

We’re still convinced that the Cincinnati Bengals will be thrilled with receiver Laveranues Coles.

Younger than former No. 2 wideout T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Coles has been a No. 1 receiver for Jets and Redskins teams that lacked a franchise quarterback.

Houshmandzadeh, on the other hand, has benefited from having Carson Palmer throwing passes — and from Chad Ochocinco drawing attention.

So Coles could be even better than Houshmandzadeh ever was.

For the media, however, it’ll be an adjustment. Houshmandzadeh was accessible; Coles is aloof.

Reporters got a taste of it on Friday, according to the Associated Press. Asked for an interview, Coles looked over his shoulder and said, “I came here to get away from [the media]. You’ve got Ocho.”

And Ocho (as in Cinco) will provide plenty of sound bites, especially if things are going well. And things likely will go well with Coles as the starter opposite Chad.

“Throughout his seven years here, [Houshmandzadeh] played one specific position,” quarterback Carson Palmer said. “Laveranues is learning three right now. So he’s very versatile. He plays extremely tough. He loves to block. He loves to do the little things. He’s complete.

“I’m trying to think of something he doesn’t do well. There’s nothing he doesn’t do well. He’s just an all-around very solid player, and he’s going to be a big surprise for us this year. I think he’s somebody we’ve been looking for for a while.”

Translation? Ta-ta, T.J. Hola, Laveranues. And while Coles might not have much to say, his actions could speak volumes.

Glad to see us getting some love for the move.

I was pumped up when the Bengals signed Coles. I'll miss TJ, but I think Coles is a more than adequate replacement.

Best case scenario we have a newly rejuvinated Chad put up 1,200 yards, Coles with about 900 yards, and the newly MATURE Henry with about 600 yards. Throw in your sprinkles of Caldwell, and this could be a very potent recieving core.

I think Coles will have a monster year to tell you the truth. Look at who he has had throwing him the ball when he has worked as the #1 WR and don't give me any Favre BULLSH*T from last year either. If Coles were in Chad's position with Carson throwing to him, his numbers would be even better than they are. I expect good things, especially with a Chad that appears to be focused on having a good year.

If and when Coles catches over 200 passes in two years Ill endorse him as capable replacement for TJ....

So easy to forget all the first downs to keep the chains moving provided by Housh...

Coles might be good ...he also might wind up as second fiddle to Bubba Caldwell before its all said and done...

No, I don't think it's easy to overlook the loss of Housh when it comes to picking up first downs in the least. I do however, think having yet another receiver that's capable to spread the field AND go over the middle will be huge for us. I'm looking forward to the 4 WR sets of Chad, Coles, Henry, and Caldwell. While I love what Caldwell may bring to the Bengals in the mold of TJ, there is no way (at this point in time) to view Coles playing second fiddle to him. Certainly it can't be any easier to overlook the fact that Coles has more career receptions than Chad either before he suddenly becomes our 5th WR or some sh*t.

No, I don't think it's easy to overlook the loss of Housh when it comes to picking up first downs in the least. I do however, think having yet another receiver that's capable to spread the field AND go over the middle will be huge for us. I'm looking forward to the 4 WR sets of Chad, Coles, Henry, and Caldwell. While I love what Caldwell may bring to the Bengals in the mold of TJ, there is no way (at this point in time) to view Coles playing second fiddle to him. Certainly it can't be any easier to overlook the fact that Coles has more career receptions than Chad either before he suddenly becomes our 5th WR or some sh*t.

The only person Coles will be second fiddle to is Chad, and thats only if Chad continues his good behavior. Coles has put up #1 reciever numbers almost every year he has been in the league. I'm not saying he is as good as TJ, but he is more than an adequate replacent.

Another thing I found amusing about Florio is, he put out his 10 best off season moves of 2009. Guess who he thinks is #1 ??

1. Cincinnati Bengals sign Coles

Everyone presumed Cincinnati's passing game had taken a dramatic hit when receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh left via free agency for Seattle.

Enter Laveranues Coles.

The veteran wideout from Florida State had walked away from $6 million in guaranteed salary from the Jets for his first shot at unrestricted free agency. At first, it looked like Coles had gambled and lost.

Younger than Houshmandzadeh by three months, Coles has had a much better career than T.J., even though Coles has never had a quarterback of Carson Palmer's caliber throwing passes to him. (A 38-going-on-39 Brett Favre was the closest Coles came to a guy like Palmer in his prime.)

One of the big concerns regarding Houshmandzadeh is that he'll be another Alvin Harper or Peerless Price -- a solid No. 2 who isn't capable of being the top dog.

Coles already has shown he can be the first option in a passing game, and the Bengals will be better off for his skill and experience when the 2009 season starts.

If you want to view the rest...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...offseason-moves

My opinions on this one haven't changed a bit. That being, due to his toughness and steady production TJ had become one of my favorite Bengal players....yet it took the team all of five minutes to replace him. In fact, it's more than possible the Bengals upgraded the #2 WR spot.

As for the article, despite my lasting feelings of respect for ALMOST all things Housh....I kinda like seeing the media take a few parting shots his direction. After all, Housh has taken more than a few of his own.