Is Marvin on the Hotseat ??

ArmyBengal

Ok, I posted the whole article in another thread, but would like to take a snip of that article to discuss here.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/big-...7c-492b59783b73

This is the part of the article I thought applied.

While the pundits should be asking why they never put Zimmer on their short lists of head coaching candidates (productive units, a Bill Parcells pedigree, a tough, demanding bedside manner), the Bengals are trying to get on the short list of defensive rankings. As in the top 10 after jumping from 27 to 12 last year.

While I don't think it's their intention to say Marvin is on his way out and they have his replacement if that was the case, it at least has to make you think the DO in fact have his replacement when the time comes. I honestly don't think Marvin is on the hotseat, as I think Mike Brown will let him have at least until his contract is up to figure out if he can get Marvin's type of guys to progress quickly.

I think if the team does well and progresses, Marvin stay beyond his current contract and in time Zimmer gets a head coaching spot. If they fail, I could see the possibility of Zimmer stepping in to replace Marvin.

If nothing else, I figured it was actual Bengal conversation during the offseason, so I'm trying to help here !!!

Ok, I posted the whole article in another thread, but would like to take a snip of that article to discuss here.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/big-...7c-492b59783b73

This is the part of the article I thought applied.

While the pundits should be asking why they never put Zimmer on their short lists of head coaching candidates (productive units, a Bill Parcells pedigree, a tough, demanding bedside manner), the Bengals are trying to get on the short list of defensive rankings. As in the top 10 after jumping from 27 to 12 last year.

While I don't think it's their intention to say Marvin is on his way out and they have his replacement if that was the case, it at least has to make you think the DO in fact have his replacement when the time comes. I honestly don't think Marvin is on the hotseat, as I think Mike Brown will let him have at least until his contract is up to figure out if he can get Marvin's type of guys to progress quickly.

I think if the team does well and progresses, Marvin stay beyond his current contract and in time Zimmer gets a head coaching spot. If they fail, I could see the possibility of Zimmer stepping in to replace Marvin.

If nothing else, I figured it was actual Bengal conversation during the offseason, so I'm trying to help here !!!

I think Marvin's on the hot seat to the point of not getting a new contract when his current one is up (one or two more seasons). You are talking about the SoP that never even fired Coslet, if my memory is correct. So, barring a season with a healthy CP that sees the team winning fewer than six games, I think Marvin finishes his term.

That said, I don't see them renewing Marvin unless he makes another playoff run either.

In terms of Zimmer, I see your point as far as a potential HC goes. Of course, all the positives you mention match pretty much the positives on Marvin before he got here.

Thing is, in SoP's world, I don't know if Zimm works out any different. Don't know till you get there, I guess.

A question is also who gets the most credit (or blame) for drafting the players they do. Mike Brown has the final decision, but how much goes to the coaches and "scout" who do their homework on the player ?? Does Zimmer get any credit for looking at the defensive guys they have not only drafted, but brought in through free agency ?? I don't think Tank or Williams are on this team without Zimmer.

Zimmer just seems to be doing all the things we never had a D coordinator doing before him and HAS THE RESPECT of the players.

I agree that Marvin stay at least until his contract is up, but at this point in time, I can't say as I would mind Zimmer being his replacement if things go downhill fast.

A question is also who gets the most credit (or blame) for drafting the players they do. Mike Brown has the final decision, but how much goes to the coaches and "scout" who do their homework on the player ?? Does Zimmer get any credit for looking at the defensive guys they have not only drafted, but brought in through free agency ?? I don't think Tank or Williams are on this team without Zimmer.

Zimmer just seems to be doing all the things we never had a D coordinator doing before him and HAS THE RESPECT of the players.

I agree that Marvin stay at least until his contract is up, but at this point in time, I can't say as I would mind Zimmer being his replacement if things go downhill fast.

Well, the respect thing is something I didn't take into conisderation. He would have the benefit of jumping into the job with the players already knowing him, whereas when Marvin came, everybody knew what they had HEARD, but that was it. I should have factored that into the analysis, actually.

That said, I'd be good with lining him up as Marvin's eventual successor. Just so the Marvin crowd doesn't get the wrong idea, I AM NOT saying fire Marvin, or trying to push him out the door. But, I can't see him re-signing here even if SoP wants him to. I think Marvin needs a change of scenery for HIS own good, truthfully. And I'd wish him the best, for the most part, especially if he goes to the NFC.

AB that's exactly what I was thinking about things getting done this year like never before on the Dside of the ball and if it was a result of MZimmer having a hand in it in some way...I also would not have a problem with him if MLewis was somehow let go after the season, he has done the most with the D so far since MLewis has been HC...

I hope Marvin is on the Hot Seat hell he should have been on the hot seat after 2005 when the team slipped out of his hands. Unless we expect to keep seeing mediocore i sure hope he is on the hot seat.

As far as Zimmer being the next head coach i could see this and it might not be a bad idea. I guess we will wait and see how this year pans out, but if its as bad as the last 2 years where Marvins coaching hasnt been all that great then please let him be on the hot seat.

The only way Marvin leaves here is if he takes the Dick LeBeau approach and resigns for "greener" pastures.

That said, I don't believe that Mike Brown would take the permanent promotion approach regarding the new HC, especially considering that any move regarding Marvin getting fired or resigning would indicate the Bengals are either in the midst or coming off of a losing season. I remembered a time (or two) where many Bengals fans thought that Bruce Coslet was the answer before he led the Bengals to some of the worst seasons in franchise history. Outside of Simmons and Coyle (and more recently Zimmer), Marvin's coaching staff has not performed up to par during the Marvin era, especially in developing players/draft picks. If Lewis does go, it would be a great opportunity for a complete coaching staff overhaul, including some of the long tenured guys (OL and RB in particular) whose groups have struggled in recent years.

I love me some marvin but if he ended up out the door I'd be ecstatic to have Zimmer as his replacement....more so because it wouldn't be t Alexander or brat...

would be a great opportunity for a complete coaching staff overhaul, including some of the long tenured guys (OL and RB in particular) whose groups have struggled in recent years.

I wouldn't want a complete overhaul I like Jim Anderson he has done a good job with the backs overall (not going to blame him for crystal perry)

Zimmer I'd vote for HC & Fitzgerald to take over as D.Coordinator continue try get hue back as O.Coordinator then make Dhani Jones the Linebacker coach (joking)

It appears at this point that most of the credit for the defensive improvement is falling in Zimmer's lap. With that being the case, if the Bengals defense finishes in the top 10, let alone top 5, how long do you think it's going to take for other teams to make Zimmer an offer as a head coach ?? I honestly think the HORRENDOUS Bengals finishing with a defense in the top 5 will INSTANTLY result in Zimmer being at the top of the list for the following years head coaching positions, regardless of anything else.

Once again, I'm not saying Marvin needs to go. I'm merely pointing out that it would at least appear his replacement may already be in our own ranks. I would also be very interested in seeing Fitzgerald take over the D-Coordinator position if that was the case.