Is Jonathan Joseph a bust

HAPPYJAQ

Slightly old news, but came across an evaluation of the '06 first round class, in which Florio proclaimed J-Joe a bust.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=538191

I think he regressed some last year and the injuries have been an ongoing thing with Joseph. I also believe that he's the most physically talented CB on the roster and one of the better athletes at his position in the NFL. I remember Zimmer calling him out earlier this off-season as this being a make or break year for him and it'll be interesting to see how he responds. I just wanted to see what you guys think about the player who was sandwiched between the Davin Joseph and Santonio Holmes picks, in considering whether it's fair or accurate to label Joseph as a bust at this point in his career.

Florio label him a "bust/for now"....right? If so, I've got no problem with the tag.

Last season was Joseph's worst. Bottomed out horribly against the Texans, and was unofficially declared a teardown and rebuild project shortly afterwards. So while we can all acknowledge how quickly he COULD turn it around we're simply too many years into his career to still be asking ourselves if he's a quality starter or a person who can be trusted.

I agree with the 'too soon to tell' position. It's true he couldn't catch a cold, and the botched tackle was the only time he popped up in a highlight reel, but he doesn't appear to get burned too often so, if he works on his hands and tackling, he may prove a 'C'. He'll never be elite, but look at the Bengals' track record in that position over the past 10-15 years.

So how many TV's would be smashed if Bengals fans hear these words next Saturday night?

"...With the 38th pick in the 2009 NFL Drafr, the Cincinnati Bengals select...Alphonso Smith, cornerback, Wake Forest"

J-Joe may or may not be the answer, but after three injury-plagued (if not inconsistent) seasons at CB, are we prepared to start David Jones if Joseph misses more time next season? I agree with Hair in thinking that he's no longer trustworthy as a starting CB, although he has a chance to redeem himself. I see both Jones and Simone Castille as 4th CB's at best, and surely players who should not be starting for any lengthy stretch. I think CB is somewhere below C and OT and somewhere above RB, FB, DE/OLB and MLB, as far as need areas go.

So how many TV's would be smashed if Bengals fans hear these words next Saturday night?

"...With the 38th pick in the 2009 NFL Drafr, the Cincinnati Bengals select...Alphonso Smith, cornerback, Wake Forest"

(((shrug)))

That's a little earlier than I'd prefer, but if it turns out that way I won't utter a peep of protest as I've been screaming for a better option for the 3rd CB spot for two years running.

Asher Allen maybe?

I wouldn't be upset with a corner in the 2nd but I'd rather see it addressed in 3rd or 4th...It is a need even with a healthy joseph it wouldn't hurt to have a good nickle corner / depth if hall or joseph get hurt...I'd also say it's to early to call him a buut He had a great rookie season and then hampered by injurys for 2 years...

I can recall last year with Zimmer coming in and how everyone (including me) thought this could be a pro bowl season for Joseph. Injuries have been a bitch for him, but how many more seasons are we going to give it before we are sick of the anticipation of a pro bowl season only to have it wind up on crutches ??

I can recall last year with Zimmer coming in and how everyone (including me) thought this could be a pro bowl season for Joseph. Injuries have been a bitch for him, but how many more seasons are we going to give it before we are sick of the anticipation of a pro bowl season only to have it wind up on crutches ??

How much longer will it be before people start calling him the Chris Perry of the defense? Another talented player who showed flashes earlier in his career that will likely never reach his potential, due to injuries.