I think the heat is really turning up on Palmer and Marvin

walzav29

I'm a little biased when it comes to the Bengals. I can deal with my buddies chatter with ease, but I am starting to look at this as a make or break season for both guys. He has only had 1 winning season as QB, but he's only played 4 of the 6. This is Marvin's 7th season. Not many guys get 7 seasons to figure things out. Gruden got 7 seasons in Tamp and was fired. That includes a SB win and 2 other playoff appearances. I think they can do it, but if they aren't playoff bound this year. We may be in big trouble.

I agree. Most coaches would be gone by now, but when your owner is too cheap to pay your remaining contract out, your going to have a job for a long time.

I think Palmer will be fine. He is a good QB who has just had a rough patch the last couple years to injuries, selfish players, terrible coaching(decision making)and retarded management. I honestly believe that Carson is John Elway part deux. He'll get us to the promised land one of these day, and he will never stop trying.

Marvin is not on the hot seat.

Hot seat means he stands a chance of being fired prior to his contract being up.

Son-of-a-Genius would rather go 0-16 (or 0-17, 0-18, however many regular season games the league decides to play) than pay a new coach while still paying the previous one.

Carson is not on the hot seat because he's under contract for an even longer period of time, and Mike has paid him a signing bonus - essentially prepaying for his services. At an overall level, a very similar situation.

Marvin is not on the hot seat.

Hot seat means he stands a chance of being fired prior to his contract being up.

Son-of-a-Genius would rather go 0-16 (or 0-17, 0-18, however many regular season games the league decides to play) than pay a new coach while still paying the previous one.

Carson is not on the hot seat because he's under contract for an even longer period of time, and Mike has paid him a signing bonus - essentially prepaying for his services. At an overall level, a very similar situation.

Exactly! My God, David Shula had a 19-52 record before Mike Brown fired him. Marvin's job is safe as long as he wants to coach in Cincy.

I think Palmer will be fine. He is a good QB who has just had a rough patch the last couple years to injuries, selfish players, terrible coaching(decision making)and retarded management.

You omitted an offensive line that cannot provide adequate time in the pocket, nor consistently open lanes for the backs to run through. Unless this changes, nothing will for Palmer either.

I think Palmer will be fine. He is a good QB who has just had a rough patch the last couple years to injuries, selfish players, terrible coaching(decision making)and retarded management.

You omitted an offensive line that cannot provide adequate time in the pocket, nor consistently open lanes for the backs to run through. Unless this changes, nothing will for Palmer either.

I'll say that injuries were as a result of the O-Line, I guess I should of put that in there.

I'm not saying Marvin will be fired. I'm saying that I thought Marvin was a Superbowl caliber coach when he got to Cincy. I was feeling that the Bengals were turning a corner. There are a few valid reasons that they have taken steps backward. I'm saying that if they aren't in the playoffs this year. I will feel that Marvin won't get it done. I know how Mikey rolls though. I'm just saying.

Guys like Gruden and Shanahan will never come here, so Marvin is the closest we'll ever get to getting a "big-name" coach. If/when Marvin leaves, the sure bet is they'll get another rising coordinator type and that's almost like starting over. Marvin is one of the most well-respected coaches in the league and has done well here, considering the circumstances. We all have to remember that this was Marvin's first head coaching job in the NFL. He's made some mistakes along the way, but I think he's getting better. Bill Belichick didn't exactly light it up when he was in Cleveland, either. All great coaches, minus maybe Mike Tomlin, experience growing pains and rough patches in their careers.

We're no longer the laughingstock of the league and not called the "Bungles" nearly as much, and considering he works for Mike Brown, I think that's a notable accomplishment.

We're no longer the laughingstock of the league and not called the "Bungles" nearly as much, and considering he works for Mike Brown, I think that's a notable accomplishment.

I'm not so sure that the Bungles image hasn't creeped back into the rest of the league's collective mind. The past few weeks when watching draft specials or listening to local sports radio (Denver) the host always throw in a jab or two about how the Bengals always pick near the top of the draft. Then when the local guys started going over the Broncos schedule to come up with potential wins and losses, they immediately penciled in the Bengals as losing to the Broncos. The Broncos have a new head coach, new offensive coordinator, new defensive coordinator (who by the way will be switching the Broncos to the 3-4), and a new QB. All of those considerations in place and they still think the Bengals are an easy win. So, I wouldn't say that the national perception of the Bungles has gone away.

The question is , who would replace Marvin?

Who wants to run a team with Mike Brown as the GM?

Who wants to try and run a team under Mike Brown's "conditions" ?

Who wants try to win with both hands tied behint their back?

Who wants Mike Brown " helping" and having the final say on draft choices that they have to try to win with?

I'm not so sure that the Bungles image hasn't creeped back into the rest of the league's collective mind. The past few weeks when watching draft specials or listening to local sports radio (Denver) the host always throw in a jab or two about how the Bengals always pick near the top of the draft. Then when the local guys started going over the Broncos schedule to come up with potential wins and losses, they immediately penciled in the Bengals as losing to the Broncos. The Broncos have a new head coach, new offensive coordinator, new defensive coordinator (who by the way will be switching the Broncos to the 3-4), and a new QB. All of those considerations in place and they still think the Bengals are an easy win. So, I wouldn't say that the national perception of the Bungles has gone away.

I agree with you, but it's not like it used to be when SportsCenter would open Bengals games highlights with showing fans with bags on their heads at old Riverfront Stadium and other fans leaving in the 3rd quarter. Any team that is coming off a 4 win season will be considered an easy win for the upcoming season, this time of the year. I remember reading last Spring how the Falcons might go winless in '08, amid the Mike Vick debacle.

That brings me back to the Chad situation. Getting rid of him will instantly remove some of the negativity surrounding the current Bengals and he will continue to be the only reason to mention the Bengals in the near future, until he's on another team and we start winning football games. I'd like to see it get back to how it was in '03-'04, when we were a relative unknown team with some young, up-and-coming players. If things get back on track, I can see the team surprising some folks this year...in a good way.

We're definitely creeping back towards Bungle Land. I live in Detroit and the lump the Bengals in with these horrible Lions quite a bit. Thats why I was such a big Marvin fan. I really think though that the players that were pre-Marvin are the ones that couldn't get over the Bungle mindset, and they set the franchise back.

This has been stated by so many members in so many posts that it should be gospel by now, but I will say it again. This franchise will never have a legitimate chance at being a playoff contender until Mike Brown either relinquish control of football operations or dies. We already know he's not going to bring in FA's that can really make a difference on this team. That apparently isn't Mikey's, or should I say his dad's philosophy on building a team. He always points to the draft on where you build the core of your team, but then contradicts himself by having the smallest scouting department in the NFL by a large margin. Even the great coaches and QB's in the history of the game wouldn't have much of a chance to win with Brown as the GM/Owner. It will take catching lightning in a bottle like 05 for this team to have a legitimate shot at making noise in the post season.

There will not be an ownership change, so it is what it is. We have a chance at lightning because of Carson Palmer. Hoping for Green Bay to be warm in December, or the Lions to play on grass have as much of a chance as us getting a new owner. We all know the deal with Mike B. and we all choose to suck it. WHo Dey!

We're no longer the laughingstock of the league...

That's because the sentiment has graduated from poking fun at the Bengals ineptitude to just simply feeling sorry for them. Basically, they aren't even worth making fun of anymore.

Kind of like the Bengals don't have a rival anymore. It used to be the Steelers and Browns but where is the rivalry if the same team gets smoked every year (vs. Steelers) or if both teams blow every year (vs. Browns)?