Bengals on the Clock Today on NFL Network

Dave Lapham is the bengals insider today on Path to the Draft. He plans on talking about Chad, Crabtree, & Andre Smith... Dont miss it. If you dont have NFL Network, GET IT B) or I will put the highlights in afterward...

****SPOILER ALERT*****

some highlights...

- Thinks team is done with Chad and its about time to cut ties... That would lead to them taking Crabtree. He also thinks Andre Smith could play right tackle for the next 10 years... The signing of Tank does not mean entirely that Raji is off the board, but his selection would push Orien Harris off the roster...

Thanks Dave for offering up Chad for a 3rd rnd pick

I ask at least a 2nd and 3rd pick and maybe a FB for Chad , this a guy that 2 1st rnd picks were not enough for last year.

Or a 1st and 2nd rnd pick.

Dont forget trading Chad also makes us eat several mill in cap space.

So we may even have to cut some one to trade him.

Although it might be so bad if we cut Geathers.

Lap seems to think that most fans and players on the Bengals want Chad out and said that Mike Brown and Marvin are "50/50" on the idea of trading Chad. He also likes the signing of Tank and I'm personally interested in seeing how having Tank playing the three position on passing downs will open up things for Odom.

Steve Wyche is also reporting that the Bengals have scheduled a private workout with Rutgers WR Kenny Britt. They mentioned the fact that both the Eagles and Giants both have picks in the bottom of the 1st round, and the Bengals could use a pick acquired in a Chad trade to draft Britt.

Lap seems to think that most fans and players on the Bengals want Chad out and said that Mike Brown and Marvin are "50/50" on the idea of trading Chad. He also likes the signing of Tank and I'm personally interested in seeing how having Tank playing the three position on passing downs will open up things for Odom.

Steve Wyche is also reporting that the Bengals have scheduled a private workout with Rutgers WR Kenny Britt. They mentioned the fact that both the Eagles and Giants both have picks in the bottom of the 1st round, and the Bengals could use a pick acquired in a Chad trade to draft Britt.

Wouldn't mind that:

1a. Andre Smith

1b.Kenny Britt

I think I would rather have Crabtree then Lauranitis followed by Wood in the second round. Follow that up with a RB in the third along with an OT. Finish the drat with some speed guys to make into a pass rusher and a return guy.

That would be a pretty complete draft.

Not a big fan of Britt. Sure the guys is as fast as the wind, but in as many Rutgers games as I have watched, the guy drops way too many balls than I would like.

Yeah I love Crabtree and would compliment Coles really well.

Just don't think we can wait until the 3rd to get a tackle.

Maybe something like this:

1a. Crabtree

1b. Beatty

2.BPA

3. Antoine Caldwell

Love that prediction, but I'd do it one better and trade the 2nd and maybe the first 3rd or 4th and go up to get Barwin (assuming he's gone at #38). Caldwell should be available. That would be an almost guaranteed impact player, starter or a guy who will see considerable action with the 1st 4 picks, while having 6 more left to go in the draft.

Actually, that's pretty weak. Haven't the Bengals also shown heavy interest in Donald Brown? Like Britt, late first/early second value, right? So isn't it a pretty strong bet Britt was already on their board at #38? To be fair, Wyche seemed to making a case for trading because theyasked him to, not because of anything he's heard.

FWIW, at the very end of Total Access Wyche guessed Chad wouldn't be traded to anyone precisely because the Bengals won't part with him cheaply.

You're absolutely right. In fact I hope we don't wait past day one of the draft.

Me too. Don't get your hopes up though. We waited until the 4th last yr. The 3rd round would at least be one better this time.

You're absolutely right. In fact I hope we don't wait past day one of the draft.

Me too. Don't get your hopes up though. We waited until the 4th last yr. The 3rd round would at least be one better this time.

Pidge, I feel if Cincinnati doesn't seriously address the offensive line during the draft from what it was last season, we are doomed to repeat what happened to Palmer which saddled us with a backup for the majority of the games.

Sure...draft WR's. IMO it won't make a difference with our QB not being protected in the pocket. He can't throw to them when he's on his a$$.

Actually, that's pretty weak. Haven't the Bengals also shown heavy interest in Donald Brown? Like Britt, late first/early second value, right? So isn't it a pretty strong bet Britt was already on their board at #38? To be fair, Wyche seemed to making a case for trading because theyasked him to, not because of anything he's heard.

FWIW, at the very end of Total Access Wyche guessed Chad wouldn't be traded to anyone precisely because the Bengals won't part with him cheaply.

Yeah, I saw that. I disagree with Wyche and McGinnest in thinking it's a greater chance that Braylon Edwards will be traded than Chad. The Browns have absolutely nothing at WR, but more on that during the Bengalszone Mock Draft.

Here's a thought, though.

If the Browns were close to trading Braylon for a 2nd, 4th/5th and a receiver, what is the real value for a much older and possibly declining Chad Johnson? For the bashers, it's safe to think that Chad has seen his best years, considering he's 31 and would be learning a new offense for the 1st time in his career (think Carl Pickens). On the other hand, Braylon still has considerable upside at 26 and could be viewed as the more dynamic receiver right now. The off-the-field distraction possibilities are about even for both players, which would also lean in Braylon's favor.

At this point, the futher along this drags out, the less it will likely take to acquire Chad...at least up until the draft.

If the Browns were close to trading Braylon for a 2nd, 4th/5th and a receiver, what is the real value for a much older and possibly declining Chad Johnson?

You say that like Braylon Edwards didn't have as bad a season as Chad did. Consider what else was said on the show. Edwards "unofficially" led the NFL in drops. Edwards being loudly and heavily booed off the field at seasons end. Edwards feeling so unsupported he's now pulling his charities out of Cleveland and relocating them to Michigan. A new head coach looking to sweep the lockerroom clean targets Edwards, and he does so almost immediately.

As for Chad, do you really think he's physically unable to produce the same boilerplate numbers he's pressed out for the last half dozen seasons?

Pidge, I feel if Cincinnati doesn't seriously address the offensive line during the draft from what it was last season, we are doomed to repeat what happened to Palmer which saddled us with a backup for the majority of the games.

Sure...draft WR's. IMO it won't make a difference with our QB not being protected in the pocket. He can't throw to them when he's on his a$$.

Testify. I dunno though, if we don't get another late 1st rnd pick, I can see us going for Crabtree or a LBer at 6. This also assumes the 2nd rnd pick is used on drafting a C worth a damn.

I can just picture them during the workouts - "Hey, this Collins kid is actually rather decent *head nods all round* and Whitworth has always been solid. Is the OL that bad?"

/head explodes

If we trade Chad for a late first, then we need to spend that pick on Alex Mack.

How good would our OLine be if we were able to steal Monroe at #6 and then get Mack #28. But if we don't use #6 to draft an OLineman all is not lost, an OLine of Whitworth, Duke Robinson, Alex Mack, Bobbie Williams, and Anthony Collins would work well for me. There would finally be some push in the center of our line which would make a great deal of difference. There is a really decent LT/RT/LOG prospect that is probably going to be there when we select with our second 3rd rd. pick. His name is T.J. Lang from Eastern Michigan and I think he could be a real steal starter caliber player that we could keep in reserve while he adds more bulk (he's 309 now) and learns the pro game.

If we could trade down from #6 (provided that Curry, Monroe, J. Smith, and Orakpo are gone) to 10-12 and pickup a middle second round pick this is what our draft could look like.

1a) Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

1b for Ocheta y Cinco) Alex Mack, C, California

2a) Connor Barwin, OLB/DE, Cincinnati

2b) Duke Robinson, OLG, Oklahoma

3a) Shonne Greene, RB, Iowa

3b) T.J. Lang, OT, Eastern Michigan

4) Johnny Knox, WR, Abilene Christian

5) DeAngelo Smith, CB, Cincinnati

6a) Quinn Johnson, FB, LSU

6b) Kevin Huber, P, Cincinnati

7a) Tiquan Underwood, WR, Rutgers

7b) Mitch King, DE, Iowa

7c) Captain Munnerlyn, CB, South Carolina

Knox and Underwood both run good routes, have good hands and are fast. Greene can spell Benson, both have similar running styles I would also be ok with Ringer or Rashad Jennings provided he slips. Our Interior Offensive Line would run 329, 311, 330 with Mack being one of the strongest players in college football at the pivot. I am comfortable with Whitworth at LT provided we can get some depth and provided he isn't covering for weakness in the interior, as long as he isn't doing too much he has proven he can stand up to the challenge of protecting Carson's blind-side. DeAngelo Smith could be the final piece to our secondary, he could be a terrific nickle corner and he is marked late fourth early 5th right now by most draft rankers so it is very reasonable that we would be there. Quinn Johnson would be a great pickup at FB and Huber will be a terrific improvement over Lawson. Mitch King reminds me of Tim Krumrie a never say die guy who doesn't have the height and doesn't have the athletism but is all heart and will do anything for the team, he would also be great as a 3-4 DE at 280 in case we wanted to run a hybrid defense. Lang is a former Defensive Lineman he is tough and strong and loves to play football which sets him apart from most O-Linemen. A LBer corp of Barwin, Maualuga, and Rivers would be the best in the league in a very short time IMHO.

Why should we take a WR in the first when GREAT WRs are able to be found in the middle to late rounds, WR is the last position I would spend a high draft selection on because there is so much talent spread out through the entire draft. A WR corp of Coles, Simpson, Henry, Caldwell, Urrutia, Knox, and Underwood would be just fine with me. Marques Colston, 7th rd pick. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, 7th rd. pick. Steve Smith, 3rd rd. pick. Wes Welker, undrafted. Hines Ward 3rd rd. pick. Terrel Owens, 3rd rd. pick. just to name a few.

I'm starting to have that QUEASY feeling in my stomach. You know that one where there would appear to be ALL sorts of opportunities to get some really good players in the draft only to have your team draft a whole bunch of players you have barely heard of only to have them claim they had them rated very high on the draft board ??

This year just has all the makings of the type of draft that could set this team up for some serious contention considerations.

I just HOPE AND PRAY they don't f*cking blow it !!!

With the Bengals 2nd round pick they select Quan Cosby, WR, Texas

While I wouldn't mind the 27 year old rookie in the 7th, I could just see some stupid sh*t like that happening...

If we trade Chad for a late first, then we need to spend that pick on Alex Mack.

How good would our OLine be if we were able to steal Monroe at #6 and then get Mack #28. But if we don't use #6 to draft an OLineman all is not lost, an OLine of Whitworth, Duke Robinson, Alex Mack, Bobbie Williams, and Anthony Collins would work well for me. There would finally be some push in the center of our line which would make a great deal of difference. There is a really decent LT/RT/LOG prospect that is probably going to be there when we select with our second 3rd rd. pick. His name is T.J. Lang from Eastern Michigan and I think he could be a real steal starter caliber player that we could keep in reserve while he adds more bulk (he's 309 now) and learns the pro game.

If we could trade down from #6 (provided that Curry, Monroe, J. Smith, and Orakpo are gone) to 10-12 and pickup a middle second round pick this is what our draft could look like.

1a) Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

1b for Ocheta y Cinco) Alex Mack, C, California

2a) Connor Barwin, OLB/DE, Cincinnati

2b) Duke Robinson, OLG, Oklahoma

3a) Shonne Greene, RB, Iowa

3b) T.J. Lang, OT, Eastern Michigan

4) Johnny Knox, WR, Abilene Christian

5) DeAngelo Smith, CB, Cincinnati

6a) Quinn Johnson, FB, LSU

6b) Kevin Huber, P, Cincinnati

7a) Tiquan Underwood, WR, Rutgers

7b) Mitch King, DE, Iowa

7c) Captain Munnerlyn, CB, South Carolina

Knox and Underwood both run good routes, have good hands and are fast. Greene can spell Benson, both have similar running styles I would also be ok with Ringer or Rashad Jennings provided he slips. Our Interior Offensive Line would run 329, 311, 330 with Mack being one of the strongest players in college football at the pivot. I am comfortable with Whitworth at LT provided we can get some depth and provided he isn't covering for weakness in the interior, as long as he isn't doing too much he has proven he can stand up to the challenge of protecting Carson's blind-side. DeAngelo Smith could be the final piece to our secondary, he could be a terrific nickle corner and he is marked late fourth early 5th right now by most draft rankers so it is very reasonable that we would be there. Quinn Johnson would be a great pickup at FB and Huber will be a terrific improvement over Lawson. Mitch King reminds me of Tim Krumrie a never say die guy who doesn't have the height and doesn't have the athletism but is all heart and will do anything for the team, he would also be great as a 3-4 DE at 280 in case we wanted to run a hybrid defense. Lang is a former Defensive Lineman he is tough and strong and loves to play football which sets him apart from most O-Linemen. A LBer corp of Barwin, Maualuga, and Rivers would be the best in the league in a very short time IMHO.

Why should we take a WR in the first when GREAT WRs are able to be found in the middle to late rounds, WR is the last position I would spend a high draft selection on because there is so much talent spread out through the entire draft. A WR corp of Coles, Simpson, Henry, Caldwell, Urrutia, Knox, and Underwood would be just fine with me. Marques Colston, 7th rd pick. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, 7th rd. pick. Steve Smith, 3rd rd. pick. Wes Welker, undrafted. Hines Ward 3rd rd. pick. Terrel Owens, 3rd rd. pick. just to name a few.

Wow, that is a pretty optimistic draft. I don't see Barwin making it out of the first with his size and combine performance and his ability to play all kinds of positions. I do however believe that we could trade Chad and then use that pick on Mack. I would be happy with taking Duke with our second rounder, but I don't understand where you think we are getting that other second rounder unless we get it trading down. Overall I would nut myself if this happened, but that sounds like something I pulled on Head Coach 2009 yesterday when I traded TJ for a first round pick and then traded back up to the number 12 spot in the draft and ended up getting Dorsey and Ryan Clady with the 9th and 12th picks. I then traded my 2009 first rounder for Albert Haynesworth and signed Suggs, Justin Smith, and Adoyle to FA contracts......lmfao I also got Johnathen Stewart in round 2 and Eddie Royal in round 3 and I still got Collins in round 4 where we got him in the draft. I subsequently traded both Willie and Levi to move up to take these players.