Best Player avaliable?

Dadraftnick

I was watching the NFL Network the other day and they said somethig that I have conteded all along .

They said that the Bengals have more players that ,they have drafted playing for other teams than, any other team .

And they pointed out that, the Steelers are among the teams that ,have the fewest players that, they have drafted playing for other teams.

Why ? Because the Steelers take the player that fits their needs and system ,not the Best player avaliable!

You cannot take the best player avaliable because, when you do you leave holes on your team which, the other teams exploit and you end up drafting players for other teams.

IMO you have to fill all of your needs with quality starters , that is what the Patriots have done, that is what the Steelers have done.

Best player avaliable is a left over from the days when you had 24 rounds of the draft and a player was yours for life enless you traded him.

When you only have 7 rounds of the draft and you have free agency , you have to use your vaulable draft choices to fill your needs not take guys that you know that you do not have a roster spot for or will be a back up , when you have holes that the rest of the league is ready to exploit every time you play them.

The best player avaliable is why the Bengals always seem to take one step forward and 3 steps back.

I was watching the NFL Network the other day and they said somethig that I have conteded all along .

They said that the Bengals have more players that ,they have drafted playing for other teams than, any other team .

And they pointed out that, the Steelers are among the teams that ,have the fewest players that, they have drafted playing for other teams.

Why ? Because the Steelers take the player that fits their needs and system ,not the Best player avaliable!

You cannot take the best player avaliable because, when you do you leave holes on your team which, the other teams exploit and you end up drafting players for other teams.

IMO you have to fill all of your needs with quality starters , that is what the Patriots have done, that is what the Steelers have done.

Best player avaliable is a left over from the days when you had 24 rounds of the draft and a player was yours for life enless you traded him.

When you only have 7 rounds of the draft and you have free agency , you have to use your vaulable draft choices to fill your needs not take guys that you know that you do not have a roster spot for or will be a back up , when you have holes that the rest of the league is ready to exploit every time you play them.

The best player avaliable is why the Bengals always seem to take one step forward and 3 steps back.

This has to be the best thread about the dreaded BPA than any I've ever read! :sure:

Well I wanna see BPA taken in to account but only if it's a position that we need...like Raji or Crabtree if they are leaps and bounds better then anyone else on the board I wouldn't wanna see them drafted simply because we really don't have a need for either of them...

No team truly takes the BPA, and no team truly only drafts for need. There is a balance.

The BPA at the #6 spot will likely be Sanchez. The Bengals will not be drafting him. The Bengals greatest need is at Center. They won't be taking one there either. You have to go with the best value to your team with each pick.

Which is exactly why they should draft Maualuga regardless of the draft pundant's rankings, Maualuga will be the best player available FOR THE BENGALS after Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, Aaron Curry, and Brian Orakpo go picks 2, 4, 3, and 5 respectively. I do not buy the hype that Jenkins, Maclin, Sanchez, Freemen will ultimately be top ten picks.

very interesting post. a point that needs to be brought up is the position the team is drafting. teams like the patriots and steelers have been drafting in the lower portions of rounds for years on end, at these spots there are more equally graded players and thus bpa is only in the eye of the beholder and "reaches" won't have to be stretched as far for.

on the other hand teams such as the bengals who seemingly draft in the top 15 every year must "reach" further to fill a positon of need thereby incurring the wrath of pundits or they are forced to take the bpa at a position that may not require as much attention.

point being teams drafting in the bottom half or quarter of rounds are able to fill positions of need without completely ignoring a better player at position that is less of a need.

but that was a great post and i hope others will tackle this "philosophy of drafting" that you have brought up.

Which is exactly why they should draft Maualuga regardless of the draft pundant's rankings, Maualuga will be the best player available FOR THE BENGALS after Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, Aaron Curry, and Brian Orakpo go picks 2, 4, 3, and 5 respectively. I do not buy the hype that Jenkins, Maclin, Sanchez, Freemen will ultimately be top ten picks.

In all fairness, if the Bengals are targeting Maualuga, they really should try to trade down a few spots. They likely will be able to with Sanchez and Crabtree being available at #6. It's just a greater value pick to get him several picks later and pick up more picks in the process.

This is where the BPA comes into play. You have to draft someone who is still a value for the slot you're taking him in. You rarely hear about those great teams reaching with a pick.