Keith Rivers

kentjett

I heard a lot of people claim that Rivers was a reach and he was the third best LB for USC. I've watched the combine, looked at tape, compared numbers and realized that Rivers would be the clear-cut #2 LB in this draft. Rivers ran in between a 4.51 and 4.58 forty, had a high jump of 42 1/2", 10' 7" long jump and 24 reps in the bench press. Rivers and Curry would be right w/ each other. They both do everything good and haven't been in many situations to rush the passer so that verdict is still out. Curry had a 4.56 forty, 37" high jump, 10' 4" long jump, and 25 reps in the bench press. Rivers would have been #1 in every category besides bench and he would have been in the top ten in that category. I don't think there is any way anybody would draft Ray, Cushing or Mathews over Rivers.

Nice post. And then there are the intangibles beyond the #'s.

The guy I'm very sweet on, and that I can't believe hasn't received more hype on here (or elsewhere for that matter), is Franz Joseph, form Florida Atlantic.

I do not care what his 40 time is. Maybe (MAYBE) he can't be a 3-down 'backer, but the guy is just plain vicious. I'd heard a lot about him and finally tuned into his bowl game (wow!). Enjoy a little clip:

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dg...orida_atlantic/

EDIT: and oh-by-the-way, it looks like we could get him for a 5th, but definitely a 4th...

He's a project, and looking at that clip, if he tries to just knock people down as opposed to wrapping them up....forget it....he needs coaching, but even then..............

I don't know what you are talking about. Who cares if he needs coaching, that is why he won't go on the first day. He is a MLB and last I checked we need some depth at the position. He is nasty, but the thing I liked most that he said if God is willing I will make it. That shows character and drive to succeed. The dude left BC to be closer to his sick mother, another great character display. I am glad you pointed him out, I am going to start pimping him for our fifth rounder.

On the topic, I love Keith Rivers and I couldn't be happier with our pick last year. If he was in the draft and I had to choose between him and Curry it would be tough, I would probably ultimately pick Curry, but only because of his ability to play all three spots, but just as an OLB I would take Keith.

We have a Franchise QB now we need to just start taking can't miss players like Rivers. An OT would be great, a WR like Crabtree, even Raji's fat ass even though I don't think we go their. I also want Orakpo and I think we may get him considering Mangini's frustrations over Gholston who is a very similar player to Orakpo. I think the Browns will draft Crabtree and trade Edwards, especially with Stallworths status up in the air.

The guy I'm very sweet on, and that I can't believe hasn't received more hype on here (or elsewhere for that matter), is Franz Joseph, form Florida Atlantic.

I can only speak for myself, but how many Florida Atlantic games do you guess I've seen in my entire life?

:huh:

And is this the first guy you've been "sweet" on ?? Kidding...

Anyway, the clip is funny in that they think he can just do it all against NFL level talent while going up against the local pen football team.

"If he doesn't tackle for loss, he knocks the ball down, or intercepts it, or sacks the quarterback, or causes a fumble"

They made it sound like that's just a given for him. Also, I'm I the only one who is sick of the first thing coming out of a players mouth is their background or how rough they've had it growing up ??

I'm happy to have Rivers...

if you've had your eye on hm for three years you wouldn't want him . . . or maybe it wasn't your good eye.

IF he'll be there? go get your prescription of prozac refilled, my friend, because i see some dark times ahead

Coming from a guy who's probably never seen a USC game unless it was playing from the buckeyes...

If i'm not mistaken Baraka is from FFB forums and they hate Maualuga like no other...

if you've had your eye on hm for three years you wouldn't want him . . . or maybe it wasn't your good eye.

IF he'll be there? go get your prescription of prozac refilled, my friend, because i see some dark times ahead

Coming from a guy who's probably never seen a USC game unless it was playing from the buckeyes...

If i'm not mistaken Baraka is from FFB forums and they hate Maualuga like no other...

you have me mistaken with some one else. I live on the west coast and after ya'll have been tucked in back east, usc plays. i saw every game they played last year, except the UCLA game (it was my birthday).

and it would stand to reason that if i only saw the buckeye game i would be a big fan, did YOU even see that game?

thanks for trying though.

I've had my eye on this guy for 3 years now.

Keep in mind that agreen has repeatedly posted homosexually-suggestive pictures of NFL players on these forums (albeit not recently)

He appears to collect such depictions, one would guess for his own personal use.

So when he says he's been watching this guy for three years......understand *why* he's been watching him

Aside from that, agreen has also on multiple occasions condoned violence against women, and this fits right in with the publicy-demonstrated disrespectful attitude Maualuga has towards women

I have said it before , I like Rivers I just dont think that he was worth a 1st rnd pick.

If you want good play out of your LB get a good D - line.

If you look at what Brandon Johnson did after Rivers went down you could argue that Johnson (a free agent that nobody but the Bengals really wanted) played much better.

I would argue that after Pat Simms started to play ,the LB's were able to make more plays because Simms was doing his job.

I think that you dont start looking at LB's until the 4th round enless , you play a 3-4, have a Ray Lewis in the draft, or you have filled all of your other needs.

I have said it before , I like Rivers I just dont think that he was worth a 1st rnd pick.

If you want good play out of your LB get a good D - line.

If you look at what Brandon Johnson did after Rivers went down you could argue that Johnson (a free agent that nobody but the Bengals really wanted) played much better.

I would argue that after Pat Simms started to play ,the LB's were able to make more plays because Simms was doing his job.

I think that you dont start looking at LB's until the 4th round enless , you play a 3-4, have a Ray Lewis in the draft, or you have filled all of your other needs.

I hope by saying he isn't worth a first rounder you mean we shouldn't have used one on him. I have to disagree, he is a major piece of our defense and it is like getting two first rounders because we didn't get to see him much last season!

Taking a 3-4 OLB is much more risky. Look at Gholston, the number 6 pick. He is garbage. A 4-3 LB is much easier to find and the truly elite ones can usually only be had in the first two rounds!

I think Rivers will be a MUCH better NFL player than Rey, but that's just me. People have to remember than almost every USC player is over-hyped, due partially to USC's recent dominance as a college football program.

Rey is the type of player that will either be a 3-time Pro Bowler by his 4th season or out of the NFL completely.

I'm a Buckeye fan, but what I don't understand in fans that follow college ball is that they seem to discredit other programs on the sole basis of their dislike for them as opposed to what their players bring to the field. How can a player from a team be overhyped because of their teams dominance on the field ?? Wouldn't it be safe to say that dominance came from what the players brought to the field ?? Once again, I don't get that.

I think it's giving credit where credit is due. USC has a hell of a program there and the players coming out seem to do well in the NFL. My dislike for them as a team when they play the Buckeyes is beside the point. I relate it to the Steelers. I hate those motherf*ckers with every ounce of my being, but that is a winning organization who always fields a VERY competitive team that I wish the Bengals would emulate more of.

Keith Rivers comes from a school I root against weekly, but love the fact that he came from that program now that he plays for us...

I'm a Buckeye fan, but what I don't understand in fans that follow college ball is that they seem to discredit other programs on the sole basis of their dislike for them as opposed to what their players bring to the field. How can a player from a team be overhyped because of their teams dominance on the field ?? Wouldn't it be safe to say that dominance came from what the players brought to the field ?? Once again, I don't get that.

I think it's giving credit where credit is due. USC has a hell of a program there and the players coming out seem to do well in the NFL. My dislike for them as a team when they play the Buckeyes is beside the point. I relate it to the Steelers. I hate those motherf*ckers with every ounce of my being, but that is a winning organization who always fields a VERY competitive team that I wish the Bengals would emulate more of.

Keith Rivers comes from a school I root against weekly, but love the fact that he came from that program now that he plays for us...

It's not a discredit to the USC program. Personally, I even enjoy watching them play and recognize their recent collective success as being as close to it gets to a Dynasty program in college football.

My opinion is based on the fact that USC Trojans are always thought to be instant NFL Superstars based on their collegiate resumes. I think of Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush (who was compared to Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders?), Winston Justice, Sedrick Ellis, any recent USC WR you can name and countless others who have underperformed as NFL players. I strongly disagree that their players do well as NFL players. My thought is they usually come nowhere close to being the types of players in the league that they were in college.

I compare the Rey hype to the Mike Williams hype of a few years back, when many though he would've been the #1 overall pick in the draft, had he been able to come out after his Freshman season. He didn't even live out his first and only contract in the NFL and is now out of the league entirely. On a related and somewhat ironic note, Mel Kiper just reported on ESPN News that he expects the New Orleans Saints to draft Beanie Wells, as their most glaring need is at RB. Who knows what will happen, but if their brass agrees with the notion that they need a RB, it might say something to how they feel about Bush as a full-time RB in their offense.

I do agree that LB'sare easy to steal in later rounds but that doesn't mean they shouldn't go in the 1st. I actually believe true LB's are the safest picks in the draft. I'm not talking about the converted DE's. I'm talking about the LB's like Mayo, Rivers, P. Willis, J. Beason, E. Sims,A.J. Hawk,D. Ware, S. Merriman. Those are the non-converted LB's drafted in the 1st round since 2005. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe every single one is a starter. I would take any one of them guys in a heart beat.

I think it's a little early to be labeling Ellis as "underperforming" I mean last year was his rookie year.

As far as USC LBers they have had a pretty good track record.

Lofa Tatupa

Willie McGinest

Junior Seau

Jack Del Rio

Let me go further back and add

Former Raider LB Rod Martin

Former Colt LB Duane Bickett

and Former Brown (and 4 time Pro Bowler) Clay Matthews Jr.

I actually believe true LB's are the safest picks in the draft.

Yep. This is actually proven in bust percentages. The bust rate for LB's in the first round of the draft is only 16% (the only position better is Safety at 11%). LB is statistically one of the safest picks you can make in the 1st. Also... LB's selected in the 1st round have a 39% chance of making at least one pro bowl.

For those interested in Crabtree... the bust rate for WR in the first round is 45%, and the statistics say that only 31% make at least one pro bowl.

I'm not saying that the Bengals should draft Maualuga with the 6th pick. In fact, if they want him, I think they need to find a way to trade down several slots. I'm merely saying, that would be one of the safest routes to go historically.

To see where I'm getting these stats... it was a study from 2007, and you can read it yourself right here.