Vote for the Bengals' worst first-round pick ever!!

garce911

The 2009 NFL Draft is just weeks away and your team's decision may shape the future of the franchise. Squads have struck gold with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, while others have gone bust with gems like Ki-Jana Carter and gasp, Ryan Leaf. But before we start worrying about whom our team is going to take, let's take a look at history to reflect on the absolutely god-awful picks our squads have made. Sure some guys couldn't help their fate with career-ending injuries, one or two may have unfortunately departed, and some may have just outright sucked. Bottom line is, knowing what they know now, the team wouldn't have picked the guy they did.

So, first vote for your team's biggest first-round bust, and then we'll seed the "winners" to go at it in a 32-man bracket to crown the worst pick of all-time. Sorry Jets and Bengals fans, only one player can represent your team. Now...you're on the clock!! Then vote in the NFC!

http://www.opensports.com/community/user/b...ad-f05d98fc8a3d

Akili Smith is hands down the worst pick the Bengals have ever made .He may be the worst draft choice EVER!

You have to consider that the Bengals could have had ALL of the Saints picks in that draft and 1st and 2nd for the next two years.

And you have to consider that they could have STILL drafted the guy if they had made the deal.

And you have consider that Smith never even bothered to learn the playbook , by his own admission.

When you look at the impact that pick made on the organization as a whole, you would be HARD pressed to find another bust that even comes close to how bad of a pick Akili was. Sadly for him (and it's not just my hatred talking) he should go down in history as one of the biggest disasters in all of football. Just a sorryass in general (ok that's some hatred)...

Okay, let me try to find something positive to say about Akili Smith...............um............um...............um...........still thinking......................um..............um................................

......................................................Ok I got it....If he wasnt such a bust, then we never would have had the #1 pick in '03, and thus, would never have drafted Carson Palmer......so there you have it.....We can all thank Akili Smith in some part for landing Carson.... :P

Jack Thompson was also drafted in the top 5 and stunk. We were able to offload him to Tampa for a first round pick though, so I'd agree Akili is the worst pick in team history.

Thompson was injured though.

Huh? Thompson, the throwin' Samoan, was drafted as Ken Anderson's replacement. Anderson was the one who was banged up but recovered and had a good second half to his career. With Anderson's renaissance, Thompson was surplus and offloaded. The thing is that when he did play, he looked rushed and he just wasn't very good.

Jack Thompson was also drafted in the top 5 and stunk. We were able to offload him to Tampa for a first round pick though, so I'd agree Akili is the worst pick in team history.

As I recall the Bengals later traded Jack Thompson for a 1st rnd pick so, drafting him was a wash.

I could not imagine any team trading a used jock strap for Akili Smith..

I dont think that any other team would have drafted him at all.

I could not imagine any team trading a used jock strap for Akili Smith..

I dont think that any other team would have drafted him at all.

You cant really say that. Coming out, it was pretty much agreed that Akili was about the 3rd best QB prospect behind Couch and McNabb, and ahead of other 1st rounders like Daunte Culpepper #11, and Cade McNown #12. That was pretty much a busted draft for QB's. Out of the Five 1st rounders, only McNabb has been a solid NFL QB....Daunte had 1 good season, and 1 decent season.

And we were unable to sign Steve Young with that pick.............. :angry:

Ok you guys only remember recent picks so I decided to go back and look up the history of the Bengals first round picks. I am only going to include in this list guys that the Bengals have drafted in the top ten.

2003 1 Carson Palmer QB USC

2002 10 Levi Jones OT Arizona St.

2001 4 Justin Smith DE Missouri

2000 4 Peter Warick WR Florida St.

1999 3 Akili Smith QB Oregon

1996 10 Willie Anderson OT Auburn

1995 1 Ki-Jana Carter RB Penn St.

1994 1 Dan Wilkinson DT THE Ohio State University

1993 5 John Copeland DE Alabama

1992 6 David Klingler QB Houston

1988 5 Ricky Dixon CB Oklahoma

1984 7 Ricky Hunley LB Arizona

1981 10 David Verser WR Kansas

1980 3 Anthony Munoz OT USC

1979 3 Jack Thompson QB Washington St.

1978 8 Ross Browner DE Notre Dame

1977 3 Eddie Edwards DE Miami

8 Wilson Whitley DT Houston

1972 2 Sherman White DE California

1970 7 Mike Reid DT Penn State

1969 5 Greg Cook QB Cincinnati

1968 2 Bob Johnson C Tennessee

Now several things strike me about this list. First the obvious, it is amazing how many times the Bengals have had a top 10 pick. This only multiplies the futility of this franchise. Secondly is the lack of guys that the Bengals have drafted that have become stars. Out of this list, how many guys have become pro-bowl players? Just at a quick glance I can only count 4 maybe 5 guys that ever played in a pro-bowl game. Bob Johnson was a one time AFL All-star, Mike Reid 2 time Pro-bowler, Anthony Munoz 11 time Pro-bowler, Willie Anderson 4 time Pro-bowler, and Carson Palmer 2 time Pro-bowler. So really only 4 Pro-bowlers if you don't count Bob Johnson. So that is only 5 guys out of 22 top 10 draft picks. That is horrible!

Akili Smith is probably the biggest bust of all the picks simply because he was a QB, but if you look at the stats, Rickey Dixon has to be right up there. The guy was drafted 5th in the draft, only played 4 years with the Bengals and 5 years total. During his career Dixon was nothing more than a nickel corner and special teams player.