RB Rankings for the draft - Top 5

walzav29

1. Knowshon Moreno - Can do it all (Not @ #6)

2. D. Brown - Lot of Production in college great workout to go with it. Strength and Speed

3. LeShean McCoy - Fast and tough. I loved that he worked out at the combine with the flu. That's heart. He's a burner and would be a nice change of pace for Benson

4. Rashad Jennings - Big Fast Tank. AFC North Grinder

5. Beanie Wells - Looks great when healthy. Just never healthy. I'm a little weary of Big Ten RB's though in stripes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if in 10 years Moreno is the next Walter Payton...and then we look back and kick ourselves for not taking him at #6. I'm not saying we should, but I find it interesting when picks outperform their "draft slot" how quickly that turns into regret and resentment towards the franchise.

Trust me Hokie. I'm a Draft genius. I must be because they don't let just anyone blog. You always have exceptions to the rule, but the following are worthy of a top 10 pick.

QB

DE

Corner

Tackle

Everything else is found all throughout every round. It takes a smart GM to find them, but they are plentiful. Look at our own beloved Bengals

Kijana

Chris Perry

Archie Griffin

Corey Dillon

Ickey Woods

Rudi Johnson

Trust me Hokie. I'm a Draft genius. I must be because they don't let just anyone blog. You always have exceptions to the rule, but the following are worthy of a top 10 pick.

QB

DE

Corner

Tackle

Everything else is found all throughout every round. It takes a smart GM to find them, but they are plentiful. Look at our own beloved Bengals

Kijana

Chris Perry

Archie Griffin

Corey Dillon

Ickey Woods

Rudi Johnson

Aye, and keep in mind that Akili Smith and Tim Couch were consensus top 10 picks in 1999.

The Bengals need to play it smart here and go OT, DT, or DE.

QB

DE

Corner

Tackle

Kijana

Chris Perry

Archie Griffin

Corey Dillon

Ickey Woods

Rudi Johnson

Aye, and keep in mind that Akili Smith and Tim Couch were consensus top 10 picks in 1999.

i couldnt agree more the Bnegals need , ot, dt, de. we have to win the war in the trenches in the afc north

QB

DE

Corner

Tackle

Kijana

Chris Perry

Archie Griffin

Corey Dillon

Ickey Woods

Rudi Johnson

i couldnt agree more the Bnegals need , ot, dt, de. we have to win the war in the trenches in the afc north

I don't see what the Bengals would do with a DE at #6. Does he start, come in on passing downs, or play some sort of hybrid role? These all seem too specialized for a #6 pick. At #6 you need to get a three down player whether it's offense or defense. I get the call for OT and DT (althought I don't entirely agree with OT). Adding a DE in the first round just muddies their situation at the position. I think they will wait another year to see how Geathers and Odom pan out before they try anything to add to that mix.

QB

DE

Corner

Tackle

Kijana

Chris Perry

Archie Griffin

Corey Dillon

Ickey Woods

Rudi Johnson

I don't see what the Bengals would do with a DE at #6. Does he play running downs, come in on passing downs, or play some sort of hybrid role? These all seem too specialized for a #6 pick. At #6 you need to get a three down player whether it's offense or defense. I get the call for OT and DT (althought I don't entirely agree with OT). Adding a DE in the first round just muddies their situation at the position. I think they will wait another year to see how Geathers and Odom pan out before they try anything to add to that mix.

1. Knowshon Moreno - Can do it all (Not @ #6)

2. D. Brown - Lot of Production in college great workout to go with it. Strength and Speed

3. LeShean McCoy - Fast and tough. I loved that he worked out at the combine with the flu. That's heart. He's a burner and would be a nice change of pace for Benson

4. Rashad Jennings - Big Fast Tank. AFC North Grinder

5. Beanie Wells - Looks great when healthy. Just never healthy. I'm a little weary of Big Ten RB's though in stripes.

I dissagree with Beanie being number 5. By numbers and production he should at least be above Jennings.

What do you think of the guy from Colorado State? Could he be a late round steal?

QB

DE

Corner

Tackle

Kijana

Chris Perry

Archie Griffin

Corey Dillon

Ickey Woods

Rudi Johnson

I don't see what the Bengals would do with a DE at #6. Does he play running downs, come in on passing downs, or play some sort of hybrid role? These all seem too specialized for a #6 pick. At #6 you need to get a three down player whether it's offense or defense. I get the call for OT and DT (althought I don't entirely agree with OT). Adding a DE in the first round just muddies their situation at the position. I think they will wait another year to see how Geathers and Odom pan out before they try anything to add to that mix.

No, the #6 DE would be an every down player. Odom would play on 1st and 2nd (like he did in Tennessee) and Geathers would play on passing downs (like he did in his 10.5 sack season). Immediately better D-Line.

It actually makes more sense than a DT, because Raji would have a more difficult time getting significant playing time with Peko and Sims ahead of him on the depth chart. Orakpo would be a starter from day one, immediately improving the production of both other DE's.

They also went out and signed Rocky Bernard and Chris Canty, that helps.

That's my whole point; you can never have enough good D-linemen. Good coaches find ways to maximize their roster and it's safe to assume the Giants will once again have the best defensive line in football, as they push for another Super Bowl run. It's ridiculous to think that some Bengals fans don't want to see us draft a pash rusher #6 overall because we have Geathers and Odom. They would both be hard-pressed to even make a team like the Giants, who are in the playoffs every season. Instead, many of us are concerned that we don't have enough capable WRs or a game-changing MLB.

I really blame it on Mike Brown, who has to think that if we don't have a Carl Pickens or Chad Johnson, fans won't show up to games, which would directly affect his bottom line and profits. We've been brainwashed since '92 in thinking that offense means everything. It goes more to the thinking that he is more concered with fielding a team that might score 30, while giving up 35. That's why we were never able to get past the Colts or even the Steelers in the pinnacle year of '05.

My only hope is that Marvin can somehow get him to see the light.

My only hope is that Marvin can somehow get him to see the light.

HAHA Somehow I dont see that happening. :D

I tend to agree with you there. Many Bengals fans (and the owner) don't realize what we have in Marvin, who I think will go someplace else where his opinions/philosophies actually matter and be Tony Dungy. How many head coaches around the league do you think could've made the Cincinnati Bengals, under Mike Brown, a competitive team (minus last season)?

Even Dick LeBeau failed here, before winning 2 Super Bowls with the Stealers.

Marvin is great. I think he really had this team rolling until Mike got his grubby little paws on it, but it doesn't matter. We can't quit loving Cincy, so we just have to accept it complain and hope for a miracle. The fact that they got Palmer is what gives us a shot. Marv is cleaning house, and I think almost has everyone he wants. We'll see.

Wells should be way higher. When was the last time a player w/ his size,speed, and strength combo came out of college w/ out any significant injuries and busted out. Jamal Lewis is the next closest one but he has had a decent career overall. Small speed guys bust out every year but big and fast guys are pretty safe bets. Knowshon and Beanie are close but Wells is quite a bit faster and breaks more tackles. Knowshon can catch and is a lot more elusive. It's a toss up between them 2 but there is no way any other RB gets drafted before them two. I'll put a $20 bet on that. Money talks.

On ESPN this morning, they confirmed that Beanie Wells is moving up everyone's draft boards after his work out that he ran a 4.34 40 time. They weighed him in at 237 lbs. They also confirmed that he is scheduled to have a private workout with the Bengals prior to the draft and that many believe he can be a team altering player similar to Brandon Jacobs.

I can hear the war room discussion now:

ML: Mike, we'd like to draft (insert one Raji, Big OT) with the #6 pick.

MB: We could do that, but we're going to draft Beanie Wells.

ML: Why the hell would we do that?! There are 20 players we rated higher including at least two running backs. We also have Cedric Benson and Chris Perry already signed, wouldn't it make more sense to address a higher area of need?

MB: I'm giving you about 3 million reasons for you to do as I say about this.

[stunned silence]

ML: Yes, Mr. Brown.