Why not draft a RT in Rd. 2?

All of these mocks and people talking about the Bengals draft a LT I think is a little myopic. Why not wait until the second round (or third) to take an OT? And take one that can play RT not LT. I really think Collins is the future at LT. He seemed to be very natural there and his confidence grew with each start.

I think this would free up what the Bengals could do in the first round and not be tied to one or two positional picks. I think if they target a guy like Phil Loadholdt, Herman Johnson, or Fenuki Tuopou in the second or third they could still get a quality center in another round. I guess I picture them filling a lot more holes with that philosophy. Picture the first three rounds going like this: #6 Maualuga, #38 Unger, #70 Loadholdt. They could still pick up a RB an CB to fill backup roles with a comp pick and in the fourth, thus addressing most of if not all of their needs.

I know that some of you might argue that Maualuga is a reach at #6, but if the rest of the draft went as above would you complain?

All of these mocks and people talking about the Bengals draft a LT I think is a little myopic. Why not wait until the second round (or third) to take an OT? And take one that can play RT not LT. I really think Collins is the future at LT. He seemed to be very natural there and his confidence grew with each start.

I think this would free up what the Bengals could do in the first round and not be tied to one or two positional picks. I think if they target a guy like Phil Loadholdt, Herman Johnson, or Fenuki Tuopou in the second or third they could still get a quality center in another round. I guess I picture them filling a lot more holes with that philosophy. Picture the first three rounds going like this: #6 Maualuga, #38 Unger, #70 Loadholdt. They could still pick up a RB an CB to fill backup roles with a comp pick and in the fourth, thus addressing most of if not all of their needs.

I know that some of you might argue that Maualuga is a reach at #6, but if the rest of the draft went as above would you complain?

Not at all.

If the Bengals are able to address the RT position and C position, in addition to getting a potential playmaker in the 1st round, you'd have to consider it to be a great draft. IMO, I don't see a huge difference between Andre Smith and Loadholdt. They both might stuggle some iagainst speed rushers initially but both should be more than able in the running game right away. Add in one of the 3 best C's in the draft in Unger and it's very solid. Personally, I think that both Unger and Wood are head and shoulders above Mack, as far as evaluating the potential of AFC North C's in the draft. I think fans will be very disappointed in watching Mack go against Rogers, Ngata and Hampton, after seeing how Mack fared against Raji at the Senior Bowl.

I won't put everything you see in one game or practice to paint the overall picture. Mack was at one time thought to be HEAD and SHOULDERS above any of the other Centers and I really don't think that has changed. He's big, fast, and one of the most important things for a Center, SMART. The guy finishes blocks and gets downfield to continue the play and completely blows up defenders when he gets out in front.

All that aside, I still would not say as I could complain with either Mack, Unger, or Wood, but I would want them in that order.

I won't put everything you see in one game or practice to paint the overall picture. Mack was at one time thought to be HEAD and SHOULDERS above any of the other Centers and I really don't think that has changed. He's big, fast, and one of the most important things for a Center, SMART. The guy finishes blocks and gets downfield to continue the play and completely blows up defenders when he gets out in front.

All that aside, I still would not say as I could complain with either Mack, Unger, or Wood, but I would want them in that order.

Not me.

Ghiachuic was all of those things you descibed as attributes of Mack's and he has struggled miserably here. People are dreaming to think he'd fare that much better as a rookie, than a seasoned veteran in the Bengals offense, while playing in the most physical division in football in the AFC North. I know landing a quality C in FA is no longer an option, (barring a minor miracle/trade) but give me the more physical, stronger Wood over Mack in our division any day of the week!

It'd be much different if we were lining up against the Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay Buccanneers six or more times a season, but unfortunately we aren't. If we're not at least .500 in the division, we have no chance in making the playoffs and that means being able to run the football against some of the best run defenses in the NFL. Mack is not the answer, in that regard. We won't be playing against Stanford, Washington or UCLA and he'll have to out physical some of the best DTs/NTs in the game against us, especially considering every team in our division will be playing a 3-4 defense next season.

Consider the source, but the Chickster has implied the center prospect the Bengals are targeting is Luigs.

that's interesting. not much mention of luigs around here. i've heard the knock on him is intelliegence and atheleticism, so i'm not sure what that leaves. but he seems to be the knd of guy we can get at the bottom of the third, if we get a 3rd round comp. i wonder how that shakes up the draft for us, i had always been resigned to the fact the 2nd rounder was going to be used on a center so that opens up other possibilities.

but that begs the question at such an important position, should they wait until the third?

Consider the source, but the Chickster has implied the center prospect the Bengals are targeting is Luigs.

Back in October I actually had the Bengals considering him with their 2nd rounder. He was a Rimington award winner as well and was considered at the time to be one or the top Centers in the draft. His stock has fallen quite a bit though and could probably be had at the top of the 4th. He was the guy I confused Caldwell with in another thread in that he blocked for McFadden and Jones when they were racking up yards on their way to be first round selections.

I also don't understand the knock on his intelligence. I haven't seen anything written up about it outside of this site without any links, but he could have come out last year and was looked at as a 1st or 2nd rounder at the time. He finished his degree early and is considered the leader of the Arkansas O-line.

I'm only going by what I've read up on this guy, but that is about it. I wouldn't want him in the 2nd anymore though. The thing is this Center class is so deep, we will get someone who will provide an upgrade to Ghiaciuc.

His [Luigs] stock has fallen quite a bit though and could probably be had at the top of the 4th.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I usually see him ranked as a 5th round guy, but he seems better than that to me.

I also don't understand the knock on his intelligence.

An acedemic All-American, right? And most scouting reports say he's extremely coachable and needs very few reps to get up to speed. The comparison to Ghiacuic isn't all wrong though because he's a mixed bag when it comes to lower body power and balance.

The thing is this Center class is so deep, we will get someone who will provide an upgrade to Ghiaciuc.

I'm not basing this on much of anything, but I've still got strong doubts about the Bengals using a pick as early as #38 on any OC. Somebody more interesting and explosive is going to fall to that spot and I have a hard time believing they'll pass on a player like that.

I'm not basing this on much of anything, but I've still got strong doubts about the Bengals using a pick as early as #38 on any OC. Somebody more interesting and explosive is going to fall to that spot and I have a hard time believing they'll pass on a player like that.

It just seems like one of the best ways to shore up the O-line for many years is to take one of the top Centers in the draft at the top of the 2nd. Especially since they completely neglected it in free agency. That BY NO MEANS is an absolute that they will IN FACT take a Center, only what I view as a good way to solidify things.

I agree with what you are saying about a more explosive guy and that is why I say it's not an absolute.

Well, with the draft so deep at the Center position, I would say it would be hard for us NOT to get someone that would help.

Unger

Mack

Woods

Luigs

Caldwell

Heck, you could even put Shipley at the end of those (even though some view him as high bust factor) and you would have 6 Centers. There is no way we wouldn't be able to address this by the 4th and maybe into the top of the 5th.

the question is do we want to take a starter as low as the 5th or even the 4th?

That's been my argument for quite some time now. Why take the 5th best Center in the draft later when you can take the number 1 or 2 Center at the top of the 2nd ?? Get yourself a defensive player in the 1st and be able to address a HUGE hole at the top of the 2nd. It seems like a no brainer to me. Alas, it's probably not...

the question is do we want to take a starter as low as the 5th or even the 4th?

That's been my argument for quite some time now. Why take the 5th best Center in the draft later when you can take the number 1 or 2 Center at the top of the 2nd ?? Get yourself a defensive player in the 1st and be able to address a HUGE hole at the top of the 2nd. It seems like a no brainer to me. Alas, it's probably not...

:| In Mikey we trust.....>_<

IMHO

Duke Robinson is > as a guard prospect over the other options than Alex Mack or Max Unger is as a Center prospect. That is why I advocate draft Duke Robinson IF he is available in the second as an absoltue rock solid guard prospect and waiting for the top of the third to draft a center like Wood or Caldwell.

IMHO

Duke Robinson is > as a guard prospect over the other options than Alex Mack or Max Unger is as a Center prospect. That is why I advocate draft Duke Robinson IF he is available in the second as a absoltue rock solid guard prospect and waiting for the top of the third to draft a center like Wood or Caldwell.

seems like wood has caught some fire. i don't know that he'll be available in the third. i guess growng up in cincy he was a die hard bengals fan. i'll see if i can find the link.

and its on a steelers sight

http://www.steelersgab.com/2009/03/22/stee...nter-eric-wood/

here's a different one that's about the broncos:

http://depaul.scout.com/a.z?s=430&p=9&...55420&fhn=1

an interview with wood:

http://bal.scout.com/a.z?s=118&p=2&c=847165