Dexter is GONZO! (merged)

HairOnFire

The Bengals cut Dexter, a move we could all see coming from a mile away. Not sure if the move was cap related as some sources are claiming a cap savings of 1.25...which might come in handy if they're really interested in adding RT George Foster.

Safety exchange

By GEOFF HOBSON

March 6, 2009

3:10 p.m.

The re-signing of safety Chris Crocker has ended the Bengals career of Dexter Jackson by basically replacing the same $2 million-plus salary Jackson was to earn in 2009.

The Bengals released Jackson Friday, along with guard James Blair, cornerback Marcus Brown and defensive end Victor DeGrate.

Jackson, who turns 32 the week training camp starts, was limited to three games last year with a broken thumb sustained in the opener and then injured his hamstring in third week back.

Jackson provided some ballast at safety after the Bengals signed him from Tampa Bay following the 2005 season. The position suffered that season from Madieu Williams' shoulder injury and would lose Kevin Kaesviharn following the 2006 season. The Bengals re-charged the position when they drafted Marvin White (fourth round) and Chinedum Ndukwe (seventh) in 2007.

Ironically, it was Jackson's hamstring injury that caused the Bengals to go looking for a replacement and they turned up Crocker on Oct. 30, the same day they ended Jackson's season on injured reserve. Crocker played so well that the Bengals signed him last week to a four-year, $10 million deal and they've apparently decided to switch out the salaries.

In three seasons Jackson had 162 tackles, three interceptions, 11 passes defensed, three fumble recoveries, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

Blair, Brown, and DeGrate were on the practice squad for a portion of 2008, and were added to this offseason roster.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7551

They may be looking at ex-Cowboy Roy Williams. Looks like we have 3 decent safeties in Ndukwe/White/Crocker, but no standout. I know Williams is a major liability in coverage, but the dude still lays wood.

I wouldn't mind getting Roy Williams, y do we always care about our safeties have to cover if we play him 1st and 2nd down to support the run and play zone, he can bring a certain force to be reckoned with. We all kno we won't do it though b/c our coaches have to have a safety that does it all! I say giv him a chance, I wonder if Zimmer will vouche for him

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090306/SPT02/303060049

Bengals release Jackson

The Cincinnati Bengals today released safety Dexter Jackson, guard James Blair, cornerback Marcus Brown and defensive end Victor DeGrate

Jackson's contract was terminated; the remaining players were waived.

Jackson played three seasons with the Bengals. He played in 29 games with 28 starts. Thumb and hamstring injuries limited him to three games in 2008.

Blair, Brown and DeGrate all were on the Bengals practice squad at times last season.

The Bengals are still "right up against the cap" though, I am sure... ;)

Yep, no suprise by any stretch. We don't need another safety at this point.

Good move by the Bengals, Dexter body was getting beat up too much lately and we needed to get younger at that position. The infamous play I will remember him for is when he had a free shot to sack Big Ben in the endzone but instead swiped and missed the ball, but he did if I recall make up for it later by making Willie Parker fumble right before he got in the endzone. I live in Tampa so my friends dogged me when the Bengals initially signed Dexter, I talked him up but he did not do any better then they had him figured for. Who I'm wondering about is Marvin White I thought he woudl have turned out better then he has shown since he was drafted, I thought that we had a steal when we drafted him but I guess Marvin and other coaches are down on him at this time.

About frigging time. Couple of yrs too late. Why not Roy Williams? Well why is the more pertinent question. People are talking about his attitude and whatnot. Welcome to 2009 everyone, this ain't 2006 anymore. He's shot, be it mentally or physically. I mean, if anything the Cowboys' secondary is even ropier than ours and protected by a better front 7 and he didn't see much game time. Hardly the "force" anymore.

Snore. Cut the deadweight.

Nice knowing you Dexter, we'll have happy memories of you screwing up a guaranteed safety by trying to arm-tackle Roethlisberger.

Of all the positions where the Bengals are screwed, Safety ain't one of them. I'm quite happy to go into the season with Dookie, White, and Crocker with Lynch and whoever for depth. Screw Roy Williams, he can't cover so he's just an undersized linebacker.

I was wondering about White's progress as well, but haven't been able to find anything. I'm REALLY glad we got Crocker back !!!

I hope Crocker doesn't pull a Rogers Beckett on us. Play great off the streets one season, sign a nice extension and then fall off the face of the earth.

I'm pretty excited about the secondary this upcoming season, which could be one of the league's best if J-Jo, finally reaches his potential and stays off the trainer's table.

Speaking of that, in the Bengals annual tradition of a 2nd round surprise in the draft, who could see us taking a CB early? I wouldn't be distraught at the thought of taking Alphonso Smith or Darius Butler in round 2, if the Top 3 C's are all gone. The jury is still out on both J-Jo and David Jones, with Joseph an UFA after the season, I believe. Both Smith and Butler are A-1 return guys, as well.

I was wondering about White's progress as well, but haven't been able to find anything. I'm REALLY glad we got Crocker back !!!

I hope Crocker doesn't pull a Rogers Beckett on us. Play great off the streets one season, sign a nice extension and then fall off the face of the earth.

I'm pretty excited about the secondary this upcoming season, which could be one of the league's best if J-Jo, finally reaches his potential and stays off the trainer's table.

Speaking of that, in the Bengals annual tradition of a 2nd round surprise in the draft, who could see us taking a CB early? I wouldn't be distraught at the thought of taking Alphonso Smith or Darius Butler in round 2, if the Top 3 C's are all gone. The jury is still out on both J-Jo and David Jones, with Joseph an UFA after the season, I believe. Both Smith and Butler are A-1 return guys, as well.

Definite possibility. Hell, even if one of the the better center prospects is still on the board I wouldn't bet against it. It would piss me off for sure but I'd get over it.

I'll go ahead and go out on a limb and predict it. This is a make or break season for Josesph and the guess right now is he'll break. He was one of the first guys Zimmer took under his wing and was outplayed by Hall, who many consider to be the less talented player physically of the two. There hasn't been word on the Bengals working to re-sign J-Jo, so I think they're going to take the "wait and see" approach and see how he plays in his contract year.

Nevertheless, the Bengals will assume the worst in that he plays lights out, draft his replacement prior in the upcoming draft and see then if they can bring J-Jo back at a modest rate (while understanding that he may take a better deal with another team).

I guess it's Steinbach/Justin Smith/T.J. all over again.

We've almost turned into the Florida Marlins, with how we view free agency.

There hasn't been word on the Bengals working to re-sign J-Jo, so I think they're going to take the "wait and see" approach and see how he plays in his contract year.

A few weeks back there was a Columbus Dispatch article that claimed the Bengals were hoping/working on contract extensions for both starting CB's. No details. Nothing confirmed.