Chopping Block

icehole3

Teams are beginning to lop off heads heading into free agency, dont be surprised if the Bengals dont cut Levi or some other dead weight.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Interesting to see the Lions cut Leigh Bodden, who was the deciding factor in the Shaun Rogers trade/snafu. I thought he was one of the better young CB's in the NFL, before his injury. Maybe be lost something along the way. I would love to see the Bengals bring him to camp to see what he's got left. Still only 27 years old.

I think Levi is a bet to stay as he is the only proven LT on the roster. As the season progressed, he played better. If he's healthy, he's still one of the better LT's in the game. I think Watson, Perry, Dexter Jackson and Kyle Larson are the most likely to be released sooner rather than later. On the bubble could be Brad St. Louis, Eric Henderson, Antonio Chatman. We definitely need to upgrade the kicking game this year.

Teams are beginning to lop off heads heading into free agency, dont be surprised if the Bengals dont cut Levi or some other dead weight.

Interesting to see the Lions cut Leigh Bodden, who was the deciding factor in the Shaun Rogers trade/snafu. I thought he was one of the better young CB's in the NFL, before his injury. Maybe be lost something along the way. I would love to see the Bengals bring him to camp to see what he's got left. Still only 27 years old.

I think Levi is a bet to stay as he is the only proven LT on the roster. As the season progressed, he played better. If he's healthy, he's still one of the better LT's in the game. I think Watson, Perry, Dexter Jackson and Kyle Larson are the most likely to be released sooner rather than later. On the bubble could be Brad St. Louis, Eric Henderson, Antonio Chatman. We definitely need to upgrade the kicking game this year.

Pretty much all of those guys could be let go. Sure didn't see much of Kenny Watson even with CPerry benched. Kyle Larson had a poor year, he'll get some competition for sure.

Levi's fate depends upon the draft. Still he's an expensive dude, he'll have to be looking good once the OTA's start.

Did Brad St. Louis screw anything up this year? He would surprise me.

Pretty much all of those guys could be let go. Sure didn't see much of Kenny Watson even with CPerry benched. Kyle Larson had a poor year, he'll get some competition for sure.

Levi's fate depends upon the draft. Still he's an expensive dude, he'll have to be looking good once the OTA's start.

Did Brad St. Louis screw anything up this year? He would surprise me.

No. I just watched the replay of the '06 game against the Broncos that knocked us out of the playoffs, so maybe I'm a tad bit bitter.....still. I think some real competition at LS would be good this year. Maybe they can find a player that can actually play some snaps from scrimmage, like Alford and DeOssie with the Giants. Marvin seems to like Levi, so I think he's safe for now. Even if they draft a player like Monroe or Jason Smith, I think Levi would be good to have around, kinda like Richmond Webb was when Levi himself was drafted.

I think if Javon Walker has taught us anything is that one failing is not enough to destroy your career or your value on the market. I think Bodden will get a huge contract somewhere and they will say that he played in the wrong scheme to be effective. I really don't see us forking out the kind of money it would take to get Bodden.

I think if Javon Walker has taught us anything is that one failing is not enough to destroy your career or your value on the market. I think Bodden will get a huge contract somewhere and they will say that he played in the wrong scheme to be effective. I really don't see us forking out the kind of money it would take to get Bodden.

especially as a nickle corner.

I made the comment in another thread about Bodden and not suprising me possibly seeing him back with the Browns. I'm sure they would be interested. How could anyone look good in that Detroit defense ?? As for our guys, Levi stays as we have little behind him. If they do cut him, it wouldn't be until after the draft in my opinion. Kyle Larson also isn't going anywhere until later and that's only if and when they get someone in to give him some competition. He did just sign a new contract like last season. Running backs ?? Watson still has value as depth especially with being MORE than ok seeing Perry hit the bricks. Dexter Jackson ?? Buh Bye !!!

Bengals lose 5million in cap space if they cut levi don't they?

according to this site they take a 1.7 hit

http://cap.go-bengals.com/#

That's if they cut him during the 08 league year. If they cut him in 09, they save about .5 mil in cap space. More importantly to Mike Brown, they save his salary and roster bonus of over 4 mil in cash.

The reason I think he stays is he is a veteran in the offense and is still a decent LT, if he's healthy. If they release him and pay Collins at LT, they still need to find a solid veteran to be a backup (even if Whit can play T). A solid veteran will cost the team at least 3 million per, so they might as well keep a player in Levi who already knows the offense and hope he can play up to his form from a few years ago.

That's if they cut him during the 08 league year. If they cut him in 09, they save about .5 mil in cap space. More importantly to Mike Brown, they save his salary and roster bonus of over 4 mil in cash.

The reason I think he stays is he is a veteran in the offense and is still a decent LT, if he's healthy. If they release him and pay Collins at LT, they still need to find a solid veteran to be a backup (even if Whit can play T). A solid veteran will cost the team at least 3 million per, so they might as well keep a player in Levi who already knows the offense and hope he can play up to his form from a few years ago.

I've almost given up with hoping for the offensive line.

Last season I hoped it wouldn't hurt that Willie Anderson was let go. It did.

Last season I hoped Stacey Andrews would finally become a player. It didn't.

This season I hope they cut Levi and save the money and my anguish of watching him get beat like a cheap drum in a Chinese parade.

I've almost given up with hoping for the offensive line.

Last season I hoped it wouldn't hurt that Willie Anderson was let go. It did.

Last season I hoped Stacey Andrews would finally become a player. It didn't.

This season I hope they cut Levi and save the money and my anguish of watching him get beat like a cheap drum in a Chinese parade.

I wonder if the Bengals have ever considered moving Levi to RT. He's clearly lost a step, due to injury and would face less speed rushers on the right side. You could leave Collins at LT, Whit at LG, sign Brown to play C and Bobbie at RG. Livings, Cook, Santucci, Crummey, Dennis Roland, (who they think has some potential), Kooistra and maybe sign or draft another OT type and the OL is set.

I wonder if the Bengals have ever considered moving Levi to RT. He's clearly lost a step, due to injury and would face less speed rushers on the right side.

I'm guessing a move inside to OLG is more likely. Jones can't beat or match defenders moves to the outside, and as a result either lunges to the outside or oversets. If he's breaking down, and not simply slowing down...a move to the opposite edge may not help.

I wonder if the Bengals have ever considered moving Levi to RT. He's clearly lost a step, due to injury and would face less speed rushers on the right side.

I'm guessing a move inside to OLG is more likely. Jones can't beat or match defenders moves to the outside, and as a result either lunges to the outside or oversets. If he's breaking down, and not simply slowing down...a move to the opposite edge may not help.

Never got why people wanted to move Levi to right which does tend be strong running side...you move a guy when healthy wasn't the best run blocker to the side you tend to run the ball...."shrug"