That BJ Raji is one pocket collapsing mofo

walzav29

Raji is a very impressive DT. I am a firm believer that a solid push from the DT position will greatly increase the number of sacks a team will get. QB's hate pressure up the gut as they do not have time to scan the field and it keeps them freom stepping up in the pocket to avoid DE/OLB rush.

That said, I just don't see Raji the pick at 6. The Bengals like the play of both Peko and Sims. I sould see Raji at if the Bengals go to a 3-4 and moving he and Sims to DE to get a 1 on 1 match up on the OT. A front 3 of Raji, Peko, and Sims

would be effective against the run. However, I also don't see the switch to the 3-4 coming.

yeah... I think Raji shows a good bull rush and good spin move in some of these clips, but in other clips he's free because of obvious mistakes by the OL (guard pulls and center doesn't pick him up, etc). Maybe he's a first-rounder, but I doubt he gets picked in the top 20.

I remember watching the highlight reel for Ngata a few years back and just drooling over this big man's athletic ablility -- chasing down a RB in the open field all the way over on the sideline was impressive. And he went at 12? 13? Something like that...

**oops -- repost. my bad**

The highlight reel looks good... but he's still a risky pick and a reach at #6. My vote is to go elsewhere - but it's better than Beanie Wells, so I won't throw a hissy fit if he's the pick.

Pretty much my thoughts as well, although I don't know that he's a "risk" - solid character and huge upside with almost a guarantee at being a solid NFL DT, who can play on the interior in a 3-4 or 4-3. I can see him going in the top 10. But you should be able to trade down a few spots for him or an OT if they go there.

I can see an opportunity to trade down though, and pick up a Raji or Ray Manu etc..., at #10-#15.

That said if there's a can't miss OT at #6 just bite the bullet and take him, this team's going nowhere again if they can't protect Palmer more consistently. There's no way they should be taking Crabtree either, another guy that could fall to #6 that they could possibly trade down for.

There are no jauggernaut offenses in the NFL Central and won't be next year, you can get by with a middle-of-the-pack defense, if your offense is a scoring machine - and the Bengals' have the closest thing to that if they tag TJ and find at least 2 new o-lineman, that are actually upgrades.

The highlight reel looks good... but he's still a risky pick and a reach at #6. My vote is to go elsewhere - but it's better than Beanie Wells, so I won't throw a hissy fit if he's the pick.

Pretty much my thoughts as well, although I don't know that he's a "risk" - solid character and huge upside with almost a guarantee at being a solid NFL DT, who can play on the interior in a 3-4 or 4-3. I can see him going in the top 10. But you should be able to trade down a few spots for him or an OT if they go there.

I can see an opportunity to trade down though, and pick up a Raji or Ray Manu etc..., at #10-#15.

That said if there's a can't miss OT at #6 just bite the bullet and take him, this team's going nowhere again if they can't protect Palmer more consistently. There's no way they should be taking Crabtree either, another guy that could fall to #6 that they could possibly trade down for.

There are no jauggernaut offenses in the NFL Central and won't be next year, you can get by with a middle-of-the-pack defense, if your offense is a scoring machine - and the Bengals' have the closest thing to that if they tag TJ and find at least 2 new o-lineman, that are actually upgrades.

I agree mostly except that little "you can get by with a middle-of-the-pack defense" comment. Not in the AFC North with Pittsburgh and Baltimore, they'll need more. Also last season, whenever the Bengals played a real good team, their defense got fried more often than not. For instance against Pitts and Balitmore, the Bengals gave up a combined 117 points in 4 games, 29 pts/game.

yeah... I think Raji shows a good bull rush and good spin move in some of these clips, but in other clips he's free because of obvious mistakes by the OL (guard pulls and center doesn't pick him up, etc). Maybe he's a first-rounder, but I doubt he gets picked in the top 20.

I remember watching the highlight reel for Ngata a few years back and just drooling over this big man's athletic ablility -- chasing down a RB in the open field all the way over on the sideline was impressive. And he went at 12? 13? Something like that...

**oops -- repost. my bad**

12th overall and for a man being 6'4 340 he had tons of athleticism hell he already has 3 ints as a defensive tackle....I was such a big homer for him lol,Though still wish he fell to us in the draft lol :|

In terms of his NFL impact in year 1, I think he's the best player in the draft. He's a combination of John Randle and Sam Adams and the Bengals would be foolish not to take him if he's there at 6 (a much better prospect than Dorsey and Ellis is not even in the same conversation). He will consistently command double teams in the NFL, which will help the DE's get a lot of one-on-ones. Imagine a rotation of Raji, Peko, Sims and Shirley?!?! Draft him, Eben Britton in Round 2 and the best C/RB on the board in the 3rd and it's a great draft!

A difference making DT in football is like a big-time Center in basketball. He makes all the players around him even better. Remember how many sacks and turnovers the Bengals had when they had Sam Adams, who was past his prime and playing on two bad knees? I think Raji could have that same kind of impact.

I keep bringin him up, but if we could sign Brown in free agency, I would LOVE the Raji pick in the first again. You could go DE or even RB in the second or even WR or LB for that matter. Raji is a beast for sure... That is also why I labeled my mock draft as "pre free agency" as much will surely change between now and the end of the free agency period.