Marvin's analysis of last years draft

icehole3

If we want to beef up our guards then pick mid round tackles because that's what 95% of mid round quality tackles become in the NFL.

I agree with some of what you say about tackles. It depends on Levi's health and what's left of his heart. If last year was due to injuries that are healed and he can play, then I have no problem with Marvin's statements. The killer is that no one will know that until he's played a few games. If he sucks as bad as last year, as I believe he will, then standing pat at tackle will be detrimental to Carson's face. Again.

Having said all that, they could stand pat at tackle a lot easier than they could stand pat at center. Marvin said something about the need to be active in free agency because some of our good players will be free agents. Hopefully they'll get a quality starting center in FA. Then sign Trampled-Check to 4 year deal for depth money.

If they draft a 2nd day center and expect him to start 16 games, I'll kick my dog.

Here I thought we were gonna go with Chris Wells :| Damn

Meanwhile, Lewis said the Bengals, who have 10 unrestricted free agents, have no intentions of using the franchise tag on wide reciever T.J. Houshmandzadeh and kicker Shayne Graham.

Other prominent free agents include running back Cedric Benson and offensive lineman Stacy Andrews.

Franchise Stacey now!

I hope you are joking. YEA, let's franchise a guy that tore his ACL and was part of a squad that got our QB killed. Smart move.

Yes I am :| I was being sarcastic.

or Draft a LG ot go after incognito and move whitworth to the right,I just feel we have choices and it's not must to take a tackle at 6...I would be ecstatic if we got Andre Smith

I don't understand why you like Incognito. Maybe you don't know enough about him.

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2009G.php

Richie Incognito (RFA), Rams. Age: 26.

Featured in a story that sounds like it came right out of the 2013: Emmitt on the Brink, Richie Incognito was criticized for sitting out a game for a fake illness. Jim Haslett was so frustrated that he actually slapped a candy bar out of Incognito's hands on the sideline. If Incognito can't find a job, perhaps he and LenDale White can start the Eating on the Sidelines Appreciation Society.

or Draft a LG ot go after incognito and move whitworth to the right,I just feel we have choices and it's not must to take a tackle at 6...I would be ecstatic if we got Andre Smith

I don't understand why you like Incognito. Maybe you don't know enough about him.

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2009G.php

Richie Incognito (RFA), Rams. Age: 26.

Featured in a story that sounds like it came right out of the 2013: Emmitt on the Brink, Richie Incognito was criticized for sitting out a game for a fake illness. Jim Haslett was so frustrated that he actually slapped a candy bar out of Incognito's hands on the sideline. If Incognito can't find a job, perhaps he and LenDale White can start the Eating on the Sidelines Appreciation Society.

Just because it sounded like someone we could get o_O if it had it my way we would sign Brown&Gross,Ya Incognito seems like self asorbed douchebag but with incentives in his contract or maybe new setting will be good for him

What about Marvin's analysis of last years draft ??

To be fair, I burned a little when I read the comments about Jerome Simpson and I'd love to know why things will be any different this season. But it was encouraging to read the bit about possibly hitting a home run with Shirley because it implies Lewis saw more from the guy than the amount of playing time implied. Furthermore, Rivers was a very solid pick and both Sims and Collins were better than I expected.

I like that Shirley is in the mix, thats why I think DT wont be a priority, If they address C and sign Benson in free agency they can then stay focused on the defense and grab pass rushers, LBs and maybe another CB.

If we want to beef up our guards then pick mid round tackles because that's what 95% of mid round quality tackles become in the NFL.

I agree with some of what you say about tackles. It depends on Levi's health and what's left of his heart. If last year was due to injuries that are healed and he can play, then I have no problem with Marvin's statements. The killer is that no one will know that until he's played a few games. If he sucks as bad as last year, as I believe he will, then standing pat at tackle will be detrimental to Carson's face. Again.

Having said all that, they could stand pat at tackle a lot easier than they could stand pat at center. Marvin said something about the need to be active in free agency because some of our good players will be free agents. Hopefully they'll get a quality starting center in FA. Then sign Trampled-Check to 4 year deal for depth money.

If they draft a 2nd day center and expect him to start 16 games, I'll kick my dog.

Absolutely agree about the C. Hopefully we get a proven NFL-ready one in FA. If so then it really does open the draft up for us.

About the tackles, Marvin mentioned something about seeing how Stacy looks in June even. makes me suspect that they're are going to rely on Levi, it's not like he's going anywhere with his cap hit so that's that. They might be set already and pick up that gem of a franchise tackle from SE Wyoming Community College in the 6th.

But yeah, even sorting out the C this yr would be great for our O-line. baby steps and all that.

What about Marvin's analysis of last years draft ??

But it was encouraging to read the bit about possibly hitting a home run with Shirley because it implies Lewis saw more from the guy than the amount of playing time implied. Furthermore, Rivers was a very solid pick and both Sims and Collins were better than I expected.

I like that Shirley is in the mix, thats why I think DT wont be a priority, If they address C and sign Benson in free agency they can then stay focused on the defense and grab pass rushers, LBs and maybe another CB.

I think it wouldn't hurt to have someone pushing Shirley for his spot. That person could be Orien Harris or someone the team picks up in FA or Rds 4+... I'm interested in keeping Shirley as motivated as possible

I still think you draft center this year. Someone who is versatile and can backup at least the guard position. Next years draft class at Center is f*cked. Well at least at this point in time. Not one expected to go early and appear pretty small. Give me a vet free agent at center and draft one in the 2nd. Say Unger...

I loved to hear about Marvin's description of Shirley as well and made those same comments last season about wanting to see him have a fire lit under his ass. He's such a BIG body that it's unreal. He is still the one guy I would love to see the light come on for more than just about any other at this moment. I still get rubbed wrong when thinking about Simpson. He did nothing last season and I really think the coaching staff is full of sh*t when talking about his injuries. Oh well...

I still think you draft center this year. Someone who is versatile and can backup at least the guard position. Next years draft class at Center is f*cked. Well at least at this point in time. Not one expected to go early and appear pretty small. Give me a vet free agent at center and draft one in the 2nd. Say Unger...

I loved to hear about Marvin's description of Shirley as well and made those same comments last season about wanting to see him have a fire lit under his ass. He's such a BIG body that it's unreal. He is still the one guy I would love to see the light come on for more than just about any other at this moment. I still get rubbed wrong when thinking about Simpson. He did nothing last season and I really think the coaching staff is full of sh*t when talking about his injuries. Oh well...

My first choice to address the center position would be to go after Jason Brown. He's the top center in free agency and he's only 26. It would make us a lot stronger and the Ravens weaker.

My second choice would be to sign Geoff Hangartner of the Panthers. He is one of the best backup interior linemen in the NFL and he's only 27. Then we could draft a center that could also play guard in the mid-to-late rounds. This combo would give us experience, depth, and potential at the center position, and it would make sense economically, so it actually has a chance of happening.

I like the potential at DT, so I don't want to see them throw big money at the position in free agency. Peko is a fine run stuffer, and, like you've mentioned before, Pat Sims had a better rookie season than Dorsey and Ellis. Throw Shirley into the mix, and we could potentially have a great DT rotation already on the roster. If the Bengals do axe Thornton (which I doubt because he is about the only player on defense that always stays healthy) I'd like to see them go after another big body to rotate in and relieve Peko and Sims. Somebody like Colin Cole, a 330 pounder that was a backup for the Packers last year. Four wide bodies like that could really wear down opposing offensive lines and free up our interior linebackers to make plays.

here's some more from Marvin Giggles, this is from CTrent about the Senior Bowl

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2009/01...in__senior_bowl

Last of Marvin -- Senior Bowl

Lewis' Bengals staff coached the game in 2004 and selected two players who had played in the game in the second round, cornerback Keiwan Ratliff and safety Madieu Williams.

The first thing I asked was if Lewis relished the opportunity to go down there, but before I could get it out, he said, "I don't want to be there."

Of course, he meant he'd rather be coaching his team that week in the Super Bowl. However, the Bengals weren't and in that case, he said he enjoyed coaching there

"I think it's a great opportunity. I totally love the opportunity to be around those kids," Lewis said. "I stood out there with the South team offensive line the other night for about an hour as our coaches were interviewing their players and we had a team exchange. Just being around those guys and spending time around Michael Oher and Eric Wood and some of these guys … It was great. They're great kids and it's really enjoyable to spend the time like that.

He also talked about LSU offensive lineman Herman Johnson, whose mother was also down there and played a game with Lewis all week. Johnson's mother, Karen, was trying to jinx Lewis all week, touching him and giving him the jinx. Lewis said he'd rub it off and he'd wipe Herman when he saw him to jinx him.

Lewis also talked about meeting Georgia Tech defensive tackle Vance Walker, whose parents are from Cincinnati.

"You get to know a little more about the guy," Lewis said.

Then I asked if he felt pressured to coach there because the Bengals have the smallest scouting department in the league. He brushed that aside.

"Every coaching staff goes there. I enjoy it because I get to know 100 players, 90 players, that I wouldn't know as well untl a month from now," Lewis said. "I can put a name with a face, some knee-bend with a face, some speed with a face, some athleticism with a face, that I would not know. Because now you have to sit in the stands and it's not like you were when you could be right there. I watched Jason Gilden right there. I watched Jason Gilden compete for three days. I didn't have any reservations in my mind that we wanted that guy on our team."

In the old days, all the NFL coaches were allowed on the fields during practice, now only the two staffs are permitted to be on the field during practices, the rest of the teams sit in the stands.

"When you're that up close and personal, to me it makes a difference," Lewis said. "Watching (James) Farrior and those guys when they were down there later on. You've seen these kids who go through, Jason Taylor, who is going to the Hall of Fame. You watched those guys down there and you know these guys are going to fight you tooth-and-nail all the time. It doesn't surprise you when they're successful in the pros. You get a field. Madieu and Keiwan were on the team last time, we drafted them because of their tape, but we got a great feel for them as competitors and football players during that week."

Lewis said he spent some time around the USC linebackers at the game -- Rey Maualuga, Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing.

"We've spent a lot of time around them, when they come here you spend a lot of time around them and you want to know if that's the kind of guy you want to bring into your building," Lewis said.

Lewis also said he hoped the TV coverage, including televised practices on the NFL Network could help the game.

"The television thing will hopefully bring more players to play. If I can go and my family can watch you play every day, that's pretty cool," Lewis said. "It's like the combine, the NFL Network has made the combine. More guys are running and working out because everyone's watching."

I dont like when Marvin is doing the Senior Bowl, he's gonna reach for guys who should be drafted in rounds 6 and 7 because he has that gut feeling about a guy. The 2004 draft was chock full of reaches.

BENGALS 2004 DRAFT CHOICES

Cincinnati traded the No. 17 pick to Denver for CB Deltha O'Neal and the No. 24 and No. 117 selections. The Bengals later traded the No. 24 pick to St. Louis for the No. 26 and No. 123 choices. Cincinnati also traded RB Corey Dillon to New England for the No. 56 pick.

Rd. Player Pos. College Sel. #

1 Chris Perry RB Michigan 26

2a Keiwan Ratliff CB Florida 49

2b Madieu Williams S Maryland 56

3a Caleb Miller LB Arkansas 80

3b Landon Johnson LB Purdue 96

4a Matthias Askew DT Michigan St. 114

4b Robert Geathers DE Georgia 117

4c Stacy Andrews T Mississippi 123

5 Maurice Mann WR Nevada 149

6 Greg Brooks CB Southern Mississippi 183

7 Casey Bramlet QB Wyoming 218