James "JJ" Johnson

HAPPYJAQ

.....Had a great game last week. We haven't had a productive speed back since Eric Bienemy (I don't consider Watson a speed back as he is more quick than fast) and JJ showed some good quickness and hands in limited action. The thing I liked most watching him is his decisiveness with the ball. I also think that Carson was right; he does remind you of Warrick Dunn (not saying that he is the next Warrick Dunn by any means) with his skill set. Maybe he is what Kenny Iron was supposed to be (who was a bigger bust as a 2nd round pick than Simpson, but nobody ever talks about that for some odd reason). Any thoughts on him being the change-of-pace/3rd down back next year??

.....Had a great game last week. We haven't had a productive speed back since Eric Bienemy (I don't consider Watson a speed back as he is more quick than fast) and JJ showed some good quickness and hands in limited action. The thing I liked most watching him is his decisiveness with the ball. I also think that Carson was right; he does remind you of Warrick Dunn (not saying that he is the next Warrick Dunn by any means) with his skill set. Maybe he is what Kenny Iron was supposed to be (who was a bigger bust as a 2nd round pick than Simpson, but nobody ever talks about that for some odd reason). Any thoughts on him being the change-of-pace/3rd down back next year??

I love him, I agree his decisiveness was the key, and he does look like a bigger Warrick Dunn. If we don't have a RB fall to us in the draft I wouldn't mind seeing a Ceddy Benson/James Johnson backfield...just improve the O'Line and sign Benson back. Man, I know its been talked bout but how bad was that Chris Perry pick instead of Stephen Jackson, what did we get an extra 3rd rounder that isn't on our team anymore? I can't believe that he hasn't cracked the lineup in a game, even if its for 5 third down and long plays a game. I don't think he's gonna get resigned at all but I even wonder if he'll get a shot somewhere else, maybe he'll be for us like Ceddy Benson was for the Bears and be a lot better in a different scene.

Man, I know its been talked bout but how bad was that Chris Perry pick instead of Stephen Jackson, what did we get an extra 3rd rounder that isn't on our team anymore?

Well... the Bengals got Deltha Oneal. And while that doesn't do anything for them currently... he was a major contributor to the only winning season this team has had in 18 seasons. He had 10 Int's that season. We'd all agree that Jackson would be the better player to have right now... but in the short term it was a decent trade given that they had Rudi Johnson at the time, and Perry served as a good pass catching RB in that playoff season.

It doesn't forgive all... but given the needs of the team at the time, it wasn't the worst trade in the world.

Man, I know its been talked bout but how bad was that Chris Perry pick instead of Stephen Jackson, what did we get an extra 3rd rounder that isn't on our team anymore?

Well... the Bengals got Deltha Oneal. And while that doesn't do anything for them currently... he was a major contributor to the only winning season this team has had in 18 seasons. He had 10 Int's that season. We'd all agree that Jackson would be the better player to have right now... but in the short term it was a decent trade given that they had Rudi Johnson at the time, and Perry served as a good pass catching RB in that playoff season.

It doesn't forgive all... but given the needs of the team at the time, it wasn't the worst trade in the world.

Fair enough, hindsight is 20/20...I was just pointing it out

Didn't we also get the pick that turned into Stacey "Franchise" Andrews...?

But back to the OP's point. I personally haven't seen anything from Johnson to make me think he's the next Dede Dorsey, much less Warrick Dunn. Maybe I missed all his sweet plays, but I don't know what you guys are seeing. I think we need to bring in some new blood to the backfield. Benson's done ok this year and wouldn't be bad to have around assuming we can sign him; Watson's had his moments; Perry's a bust; Johnson is a scrub. If we go into 2009 with these same guys... well, I don't have high expectations for 2009 anyways. Maybe we wait on the hunt for our next bona fide bellcow until 2010. We have enough other holes to fill -- we can do that guy a favor and spare him one brutal, soul-sucking season while we wait for things to come together.

For what Marvin wants and what the offense needs, Benson is almsot a prototype. He didn't start until the 5th game (or later) this season and has amassed over 800 yards of total offense, including both the longest run AND longest reception of ANY Bengal this season, and this is behind an offensive line that has struggled most of the year. The Benglas know exactly what they have in Benson, who is by far the most talented runner we've had here since Dillon, as well as the most physical. While he might not be as explosive as, say, a Chris Johnson or Deangelo Williams, our offense doesn't need that type of back. Marvin obviously wants a guy that can consistently gain them around 4 yards or more, keep the chains moving and keep the defense fresh.

As far as JJ Johson, I noted clearly that I don't know if he is the next Warrick Dunn, but he does remind me of him with his quickness, acceleration and decisiveness. He converted 3 consecutive 3rd and long plays from the running back position in the last game and I don't know when the last time was that a Bengals RB was able to do that. I was impressive for a guy who hasn't played all year to do that to an NFL caliber defense. I don't know if he can sustain that type of production, but a good showing against the Chiefs and a productive offseason should go toward him being in the running for a roster spot, as he has KR ability, too. The Bengals clearly could use another RB, but I think that JJ is a better option at this time than Watson (age), Perry (ineffectiveness, fumbles) or Dorsey (injuries).

-That's incorrect. The Bengals got Deltha O'Neal and an additional 4th round pick from Denver to move from 17 down to 24.

-The Bengals traded down from 24 to 26 with the RAMS. The Rams offered a fourth rounder for Stephen Jackson and the Bengals took it!! :angry::angry:

- Oh and just so you know, That 4th rounder the Rams gave up turned out to be Stacey Andrews!!

That's not Hindsight being 20/20. We ALL knew that was a fricken mistake the NANO-Second it happened.

YOU DON'T TRADE AWAY THE BEST BACK IN THE DRAFT FOR A 4TH ROUNDER AND THEN SELECT THE 3RD "RATED" running back in his place.!!!

We ALL knew that was a fricken mistake the NANO-Second it happened.

YOU DON'T TRADE AWAY THE BEST BACK IN THE DRAFT FOR A 4TH ROUNDER AND THEN SELECT THE 3RD "RATED" running back in his place.!!!

Well, when you have Mike Brown making the decisions.....this sort of thing is to be expected

Also - Pushy liked this pick :-)