Why is Zimmer supposed to help?!

redsrule2500

Fixed.

I didn't watch much Falcons football last year, but they were an awful team across the board thanks to the Vick implosion (among other disasters). And he was only there for that one year. So I don't know how much you judge from that.

Before that he spent seven seasons with the Cowboys. The worst his defenses ranked there was 19th (in his first year, 2000).

I think this brings up a decent point that I haven't seen: Compare the talent level of this year's Bengals D to last year's Falcons D. Does he have more to work with this year, talent-wise?

I'll admit, from what I hear about the job he's doing on defense for the Bengals, I'm developing a Palmer-like man-crush on the guy, and I think some of you guys are, too. But I don't want to be horribly let down if they fall flat on their faces because Zimmer is trying to make a gourmet meal with government cheese...

It is next to impossible to describe just how dysfunctional last year's Falcons were. From the Vick fiasco, to the team quitting on Petrino, to injuries, you can pretty much throw it out.

In my opinion, anyway.

His falcons gave up more points than the Bengals did last year. How exactly is this guy supposed to be helping us, when his defense was even worse than ours?

Thanks....Don't follow football in off-season, just started getting back into it when Rivers signed!

The Falcons also had one of the worst offenses last year. Meaning their defense was on the field......a lot. There also wasn't much talent on either side of the ball, and you also had Bobby Petrino quitting in week 13....

Bresh had to go. For all of his supposed fiery nature, I never got the feeling that it translated well to his defense. Injuries aside, they seemed to lack any kind of personality.

Drafting someone like Rivers is what this team has missed for years. A cornerstone or foundation to build around.

I get the impression that the coaches are not going to sit around and hope these guys mature on their own. A clear signal was sent when they fired Marvin's friend, Rickey Hundley. There is a sense of urgency from what I can tell.

I am willing to give this guy a chance.

His falcons gave up more points than the Bengals did last year. How exactly is this guy supposed to be helping us, when his defense was even worse than ours?

Thanks....Don't follow football in off-season, just started getting back into it when Rivers signed!

The Falcons also had one of the worst offenses last year. Meaning their defense was on the field......a lot. There also wasn't much talent on either side of the ball, and you also had Bobby Petrino quitting in week 13....

Exactly, great point, the offense was terrible, the D was often on the field for waaaay too long, and far too often.

Also, its hard to imagine the mentality/focus of the staff and more importantly the players, when your HEAD COACH bails on you during the season. It seemed like Petrino gave up before the season even started(Thank you Mike Vick) so how can you expect your players(professional or not) to play hard, when they dont even know who or what they're playing for?