Wr #3?

So we've not had a consistent #3WR for the past what, 3 years? Henry's been a major tease but he's gone now. The 2 rooks don't seem ready, so that leaves Maxwell and Chatman. Maxwell's been shining at the OTAs and training camp, but where's he been all this time? He didn't even make the 49ers' squad last year. Chatman is the vet of the bunch, and yet has not made the most of his opportunities whenever Henry was out.

Who (consistently), if anyone, steps up as #3 this year?

I'm pretty sure it will be Jerome or Caldwell but we'll have to wait & see them in full contact (pre-season).

Chatman is injured way too often. Maxwell has looked good and will see a lot of playing time if he plays as well in the pre-season games as he does in practice. By mid-seson though, I think its Caldwell. Everything you hear from the coaches and players is that he is ready to play now! Simpson will be very good but the talk is that he needs time to develop.

I'ld be willing to bet this will be a position by committee. With Utecht here and Perry healthy this spot isn't as critical and none of these guys will put up numbers like Henry did... when he wasn't in jail.

recall how most were ready for Tab to be the #3? and he got hurt. I'd rather we get surprised by someone stepping up.

Maxwell, by all accounts, has emerged with solid practice. Sometimes it takes time to develop, so I won't discount him for were he has been, only for what he does while here.

Caldwell will be a solid contributor. Chatman will dislocate a flange or strain a cuff before week 4.

Let's not forget Holt, who looked good in bursts last year.

Here is who I see making the team.

CJ

TJ

Simpson

Caldwell

Maxwell

Holt

maybe Urretia

If it was up to me I'd make Chad the No.3 - perhaps a spell on the sidelines and fighting for a play or two on the pitch might focus his mind a wee bit.

So we've not had a consistent #3WR for the past what, 3 years?

3rd receivers are a luxury item that few teams have and are therefore inconsistant by definition. I'd rather have a consistant running game than a consistant 3rd receiver. That being said, I'm hoping that Utecht is successful in that I believe it will strengthen the running game to have another tight end on the field. Also this will lessen the predictability of our offense. A healthy Chrils Perry would do the same. Alot of ifs, but that's where we stand right now. However I like both these options above counting on an immature wideout that can't stay on the field.

As far as WR#3, I believe Caldwell will have that position by mid-season. Chatman will have it to start but will get dinged as he usually does. Simpson is being groomed for the outside and will fight for playing time this year. I'm intrigued by Maxwell as the word out of camp has been quite positive, and the measurables on Urretia and Purify are out of this world. Keep throwing darts and a bullseye is bound to be scored.

So we've not had a consistent #3WR for the past what, 3 years?

3rd receivers are a luxury item that few teams have and are therefore inconsistant by definition. I'd rather have a consistant running game than a consistant 3rd receiver. That being said, I'm hoping that Utecht is successful in that I believe it will strengthen the running game to have another tight end on the field. Also this will lessen the predictability of our offense. A healthy Chrils Perry would do the same. Alot of ifs, but that's where we stand right now. However I like both these options above counting on an immature wideout that can't stay on the field.

As far as WR#3, I believe Caldwell will have that position by mid-season. Chatman will have it to start but will get dinged as he usually does. Simpson is being groomed for the outside and will fight for playing time this year. I'm intrigued by Maxwell as the word out of camp has been quite positive, and the measurables on Urretia and Purify are out of this world. Keep throwing darts and a bullseye is bound to be scored.

Amen to the other options. I think this is what killed the Bengals last year on 3rd down. They had no TE or RB effective enough to take the coverage off the WR's.

I don't know why nobody is talking about Glenn Holt. He stepped up last year and made some big plays for this team. I think he will emerge as the top #3 reciever. Chatman is garbage. I hope Maxwell is as good as everyone says. I do think the two rookies will eventually step up but we shouldn't expect too much from a rookie this year. My vote is Holt.

It brings me back to the '02 season, where it was a huge questionmark. The Bengals had Warrick and Dugans still starting (I believe) until a 2nd year player named Chad Johnson broke out. I believe that Holt will be the #3 WR early in the season, but the Bengals will give strong looks to both Caldwell and Simpson by mid-season.