Housh says....

HairOnFire

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3351518

Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said Thursday it would be best if the Cincinnati Bengals and disgruntled receiver Chad Johnson parted ways.

"If he's not traded it's going to be a problem." Houshmandzadeh told ESPN's Bob Holtzman.

Houshmandzadeh told ESPN he talked with both Johnson and quarterback Carson Palmer on Wednesday after Johnson demanded a trade from Cincinnati.

Houshmandzadeh said Johnson reiterated to him: "I'm not playing."

"I think eventually he'll show up, but then you have to worry about how much of a distraction he'll be," Houshmandzadeh told ESPN.

Johnson said Wednesday that he wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengals functions -- mandatory or voluntary.

What spurred Johnson's immediate reaction was a statement made by Palmer that indicated Johnson had told the quarterback he would be at the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson said that wasn't true.

"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson told ESPN.com's John Clayton on Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

Johnson made one of his strongest statements in saying he is not planning on reporting to any team functions because he wants to be traded.

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson told ESPN.com. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

Houshmandzadeh told ESPN that Johnson spent most of the past few months not returning Palmer's phone calls. Houshmandzadeh said Palmer and Johnson have talked a few times recently.

Houshmandzadeh, who said he's talked to Johnson more this offseason than ever, revealed to ESPN that Johnson started talking about wanting out of Cincinnati during last season.

He said the Bengals are in a no-win situation.

"If we keep him and don't win, he'll tell everyone 'I told you so,' " Houshmandzadeh said.

Well by TJ's comments it looks as though Chad was mailing in some games last year. Most of us already had this in mind, but hearing it straight from one of his closest friends on the team that he was talking about getting out last season is just conformation. I say pull the trigger.

Well by TJ's comments it looks as though Chad was mailing in some games last year. Most of us already had this in mind, but hearing it straight from one of his closest friends on the team that he was talking about getting out last season is just conformation.

Call it mailing it in, geeking, melting down, or struggling with a case of the yips...one thing is becoming very clear. That being, last years uneven performance is very unlikely to be approached this year.

We've seen the best we'll ever see from Chad Johnson, and from this point on things will only get worse.

Well by TJ's comments it looks as though Chad was mailing in some games last year. Most of us already had this in mind, but hearing it straight from one of his closest friends on the team that he was talking about getting out last season is just conformation. I say pull the trigger.

If he is traded, even though he is first round + maybe second round talent in compensation, we're likely to bottom fished by the other teams. For the Bengals if they either cut him or trade him, it makes this year look awful. No rookie WR's likely to do half of what he does. We have no quality depth at WR. No running game worth much to compensate. One draft, even with 10 picks, can't plug them all and now Chad obviously not wanting to contribute this season. Oh don't forget we have a very tough schedule and all together, I don't see a Laker like finish, more like Seattle Supersonics.

Mike Brown would rather lose than let these childish antics win. Period.

I wouldn't put it quite like that but, were I a cynical bastard, it might occur to me that having Ocho Wacko carry his clown act into the season isn't the worst thing that could happen to Mike Brown.

For one thing, the media will happily blame any of the teams struggles on Chad, neatly obscuring the poor drafts, lousy front office decisions and bad coaching calls that would certainly be far more to blame for another crappy year.

And as long as Chad stays away, Mikey doesn't have to pay him, can fine the crap out of him and even go after chunks of his signing bonus. He can stash away cash and be seen as a sympathetic figure while doing it! Perfect!

And then, next January, Chad can be traded. And that will still result in something like $5 million in dead money on the books, providing a ready-made excuse for not doing anything in free agency. Golly gee fans, we'd love to sign someone but we're just hamstrung by that awful Chad. In short, Mikey has the perfect excuse to do his favorite thing in FA '09: nothing.

No, were I a cynical bastard, it might occur to me that there's not much of a downside for Mikey to this whole affair. Except the (still hypothetical) crappy '09 season. But crappy seasons are hardly anything new in Cincy, right?

Hopefully he just holds out, and the Bengals hold thier ground. He is worth nothing as trade bait now anyway, every team out there is expecting to get him for garage sale price. Chad has really hurt his ability to get traded by bringing all this crap out into the public light in such a 3 year old tantrum way.

What a foolish act he has been playing out.

If he shows up for preseason, I would like to see Lewis play him at CB and Kick Returner and let him play every down of every preseason game. He has been asking to play defense for two years now anyway. He needs to sit the bench every game of the regular season, if he decides to show up and collect his paycheck. He will just be mailing in his preformance anyway.

I would be much prouder of the Bengals, win or lose, this season if they stand thier ground and dont give into this crybaby act like so many other teams seem willing to do.

What a difference a change of agents has made in ocho-stinko.

If we traded Chad for a first and a second or maybe 2 firsts we could easily up grade our offence with an OL and WR in the first along with our DT/LB at 9, or WR and RB in second along with OL and LB/DT at 9, Im all for trading him but it would cost entirely too much, and with our dozeins of picks this year we will easily gain depth everywhere we need it. (as long as we dont go drafting no 4th round QB again aka retarded moves from last year)