Why is there no more music television?

I was there when MTV launched with "Video Killed The Radio Star"!

Now aside from CMT, I rarely see music videos. WTF!?! I'm sick of Flav-O-Flav and other bulls**t reality shows MTV and VH-1 consistently put on. Enough is enough! <_< I've got nothin' to just kick back to after work and just be entertained by some good music in a video format.

That sucks... :(

Probably the cost of making a video became prohibative and yes the slew of reality shows strangled what was once a neat outlet. I think the internet has alot to do with it also. Thankfully most of that old stuff is on YouTube.

I remember when one of my neighbor friends got cable and we would sit there hypnotized by it all for hours. I caught my first glimpse of U2 there. But I must say that I always wanted to punch Adam Ant. He ripped off Bill Haley bigtime when he made "Goody Two Shoes" which was an obvious copy of "See you later Alligator".

:rant:

Probably the cost of making a video became prohibitive

Tony, I just can't agree. I've spent all day watching CMT's Top 100 Videos, and enjoyed the hell out of it.

If country bumpkins can afford it, so can rockers and hip hoppers. IMHO it's about the suit wearing executives who call the shots, and those shots are missing. <_<

Probably the cost of making a video became prohibitive

Tony, I just can't agree. I've spent all day watching CMT's Top 100 Videos, and enjoyed the hell out of it.

If country bumpkins can afford it, so can rockers and hip hoppers. IMHO it's about the suit wearing executives who call the shots, and those shots are missing. <_<

Maybe so but I was thinking in terms of cost/benefit. I think the country market has more of a mass appeal and cross-generation thing going that traditional rock/pop doesn't really have.

Maybe so but I was thinking in terms of cost/benefit. I think the country market has more of a mass appeal and cross-generation thing going that traditional rock/pop doesn't really have.

True that. Even '70's rocker Eddie Money has crossed over, as did Jon Bon Jovi displayed with Sugerlands lead singer Jennifer Nettles. She sings from the soul...

If you can get VH1 classic they play a ass load of videos. They have different programming for different tastes i.e. Totally 80's, Classic rock, and my personal favorite Metal mania. They do play some movies sometimes and there's also a show called classic albums. If not for NFL network and VH1 classic I probably wouldn't watch tv. Contact your local cable or satellite provider ^_^

This thread has taken a decidedly country bend, and after watching CMT's videos all day long, I'll hang some here. At least one channel is carrying the torch:

Let me start with Willie Nelson with Lee Ann Womack...

Boobiemiester endorsed:

more Willie with Keith...

Even the Cincinnati Bengals get mentioned in the 3rd line of this song. Who Dey!